Hi all

New here? Say Hi and introduce yourself.
R3CON

Hi all

Post by R3CON » Thu May 04, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the online racing scene, but not online gaming in general. I have mostly stuck to the FPS genre on PC, and driving sims on PS4.

However, around a year ago, when I found out my G27 wouldn't work with a PS4 I hooked it up to the PC....needless to say, I largely use the PC now for everything.

Currently I have AC and ATS, but have played through most driving games in single player etc.

I would appreciate some help around getting a cockpit setup, where to get one in NZ without breaking the bank etc would be a great step in the right direction, as mounting the wheels to the computer desk means I do the job, leave them on and play vehicle sims hard out for a couple weeks, then I need the space, pull the wheel off etc and it sits on the floor next to the PC for a month or two. Ideally Ill set something up permanently so I can sim to my hearts content :)

I also want to know if many others out there are rolling with G27 / 29 and if brake mods have come out that change from distance to resistance yet.

I have 3 kids and a full on job, which keeps me pretty busy. Racing virtually is a great unwinder (even ATS for some reason is a pleasure to play).

I'm looking forward to getting into a regular league (I apologise for my average driving up front :P )
Sweet sig pick TBA

Bull

Re: Hi all

Post by Bull » Thu May 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Welcome R3CON,

You are more than welcome to join in our series whenever fits! We race primarily on Tuesday nights, except for the one-off races we occasionally hold. Our current series is just wrapping up (final round next week) and then there will be a couple weeks break, before heading into the next series.

To answer your questions, the answer is yes to all - but as with anything, it all costs! There isn't a great supply of sim setups in NZ, other than Obutto or what the retailers like Mighty Ape and PB Tech have to offer, which will all set you back a bit. Most people end up going the DIY route, and with a bit of know how you can set up a pretty cool rig on a good budget. There is a pressure sensor mod you can do to the G2X pedals, I don't know of anyone here who has done it, but I have seen and heard of it being done. Best bet would be to have a look at ole friend Google to find your answer!

We primarily race on rFactor 2 btw, which is only $41 on Steam currently. It now has VR support as well, if you want that next level of realism from your sim setup!

R3CON

Post by R3CON » Thu May 04, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks mate, super quick response too!

I tried the NZ distributor for Obutto (they look like pretty decent kit) but the website said it was down. Any NZ Obutto websites I can visit?

Cheers
Sweet sig pick TBA

Bull

Post by Bull » Thu May 04, 2017 6:46 pm

I haven't seen any Obutto's available new in NZ for a long time now, the only ones I see are the ones that pop up on TradeMe, Buy Sell Pages etc.

R3CON

Post by R3CON » Thu May 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Sweet as. Yep I'm keeping my eyes peeled at the mo. Any pics of peoples racing setups out there? Particularly the diy stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Sweet sig pick TBA

kerryland

Post by kerryland » Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Any pics of peoples racing setups out there? Particularly the diy stuff.
This won't impress anybody, but it works well for me. It's a "laptop table" bolted to some bits of particle board. Pedals are also bolted to the wood. A bit of sponge on the front edge and it butts up against my TV cabinet.

The seat is just a regular office chair, which is not sexy, but this does have a pretty small foot-print.

R3CON

Post by R3CON » Fri May 05, 2017 9:19 am

Excellent Kerryland. I'm looking at making something similar, atleast in the short term.

D?gging the twin shifters too :P
Sweet sig pick TBA

kerryland

Post by kerryland » Fri May 05, 2017 5:54 pm

R3CON wrote:D?gging the twin shifters too :P
H-Pattern is fun :-)

R3CON

Post by R3CON » Mon May 08, 2017 6:40 pm

OK, So I bit the bullet and brought a Playseat of Mightyape....after sufficient groveling with the wife. They don't have any shifter mounts in stock, but I can order the small stuff (seat sliders aswell) off the worldwide site.

Ill post up a quick review once I have it landed, but they seem to be a pretty decent build quality and something a bit classy that should work nicely. I have already decided I need to build a table to support keyboard and mouse, I might just build in a shifter mount into that, will wait and see.

I pulled down the rFactor 2 demo from steam and have added to watch list, I have to say, the demo wasnt crash hot....I assume its not been part of the updates since 2013 etc, so that could just be it.
Sweet sig pick TBA

Bull

Post by Bull » Mon May 08, 2017 7:11 pm

As with any Sim, its main attraction is the online racing with other people.

Id imagine the demo may be quite out of date. The latest build of rFactor 2 includes DX11 and VR graphics, as well as the leading tyre and physics engine. It might not quite be on par with Assetto Corsa and Project Cars visually, but it is still the most realistic physics engine available - hence why F1, Nascar teams etc use it for their development.

There is also a good amount of Third Party mod content available, and new stuff gets added regularly.

I also look forward to hearing your review on the Playseat rig _b

kerryland

Post by kerryland » Thu May 11, 2017 6:49 pm

R3CON wrote:I pulled down the rFactor 2 demo ... I have to say, the demo wasnt crash hot
Agree completely. I hate that demo. Agree also with Bull's comment too: it's all about the people you are racing with, and Tuesday nights are undeniably fun!

Murphy's Law

Post by Murphy's Law » Thu May 11, 2017 7:21 pm

kerryland wrote:
R3CON wrote:I pulled down the rFactor 2 demo ... I have to say, the demo wasnt crash hot
Agree completely. I hate that demo. Agree also with Bull's comment too: it's all about the people you are racing with, and Tuesday nights are undeniably fun!
Bang on, Im a big Iracing guy, love the quality of the racing but the Tuesday night stuff here is so much more fun thanks to those who we race with!

Growler

Post by Growler » Sat May 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Except when Bull gets in my way...

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat May 13, 2017 7:15 pm

Growler wrote:Except when Bull gets in my way...
I could help with that growler :larf:

Bull

Post by Bull » Sun May 14, 2017 1:19 pm

I saw this load cell kit pop up whilst browsing the interwebs.

https://www.ricmotech.com/Load_Cell_Upg ... t-lc27.htm