New Racer

New here? Say Hi and introduce yourself.
samk115

New Racer

Post by samk115 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi all!

Im just new to the sim racing scene, however not quite new to racing in general having done a little bit of track work myself previously (nothing major though!) and working with a few race teams in Track and rally circles.

I currently have a g29 setup with assetto corsa, Iracing, and Rfactor on PC (although i cant get Rfactor working nicely) and on PS4 i have project cars 2 which has been my favourite so far in all honesty.

I am looking to get more involved in the online racing and im hoping this is the place to do it!

Bull

Re: New Racer

Post by Bull » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:40 am

Welcome Sam. We have a great community here to race in and you are more than welcome to join in. We will be announcing our next series soon which would be great to see you come along to and give it a run with us. We mainly race on Tuesday nights.

samk115

Post by samk115 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:12 am

Which software will i need to run? I was suspecting it would be Rfactor 2?

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:57 am

Hey Sam,

Yeah, we run rFactor 2 here at KSR.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi Sam, welcome to KSR :)

samk115

Post by samk115 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Cool, i will purchase Rfactor 2.

One issue i am having with the demo of RF2 is my wheel does not corrospond to the movement of the wheel in the game, it means i am having to over rotate the wheel and it is bloody frustrating! Is there a fix or workaround for this?

What mods etc should i install? My favourite class of racing is GT3 so a good GT3 mod is key!

Bull

Post by Bull » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:44 am

I believe the demo is of an early version of the game, the latest version includes a DirectX 11 visual graphics engine which improves A LOT.

You can also try altering your steering lock and degrees of rotation both in-game and on your Logitech Profiler to match.

The GT3 that comes as DLC is good quality but we haven't used it here. There is two very good community created GT3 mods (Simtek and Apex) that have a larger range of cars available as well. We have used these in the past here at KSR in racing series. rFactor 2 has all its mods available via the Steam Workshop, much like Assetto Corsa does so you should be semi familiar with how that all works!

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:58 pm

samk115 wrote:Cool, i will purchase Rfactor 2.

One issue i am having with the demo of RF2 is my wheel does not corrospond to the movement of the wheel in the game, it means i am having to over rotate the wheel and it is bloody frustrating! Is there a fix or workaround for this?

What mods etc should i install? My favourite class of racing is GT3 so a good GT3 mod is key!

We are currently running a GT3 Endurance series using the Simtek GT3 mod.
https://www.kiwisimracing.net.nz/forum/ ... 49&t=19004

Check it out.

samk115

Post by samk115 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:53 pm

RF2 is installing as i type this.

I will install the GT3 mod and get stuck in with some practice!

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:57 pm

samk115 wrote:Cool, i will purchase Rfactor 2.

Welcome aboard! I also own AC alongside with rFactor 2 but truth be told, I really only play rFactor 2. First I was really annoyed that 99% of stuff in AC was "Oh but you have to buy this DLC if you want to race this car/track" (hang on, didn't I just bought the game?!) but even after buying all the DLC on sale, I still prefer rF2 over AC. Whenever I switch from rF2 to AC, AC just feels very numb to me, very disconnected. You won't go wrong with rF2 and there's a crap ton of content available through the Steam Workshop (Under Community -> Workshop -> search for rFactor 2 - then just subscribe to whatever mods you like and next time you launch the game, it gets downloaded and installed automatically.)

Regarding your wheel - just make sure that you have ticked the setting in your Logitech software that allows the game to set the wheel lock. If the setting in the game (say 720 degrees) isn't aligned with your default setting in your Logitech profile (e.g. 900 degrees) and this setting is NOT on, you indeed get the issue that they do not align. Personally, I've just turned the wheel display off in the game as it needlessly distracts me - given that I already have a wheel right in front of me. (The one I'm holding onto for dear life!)

In terms of mods, the tracks we race on are listed in the each race thread and the Championship overview. So if you go to the thread for the Endurance race at Sebring, it will have a link there to the Steam Workshop where you can subscribe to the Sebring track as explained above. You can also go to through all the other Spring and Endurance main topics to pick up links to other track we use. Some of these are NOT on the Steam Workshop - in that case you'll need to download a file (link provided in said forum topics) and place the track in the packages folder. You'll probably have to use the Package Manager (the open box icon in your rF2 start up screen) to manually install the track.

Other mods that I find worthwhile are the BTCC/WTCC and TCR touring car mods - they are all excellent. The list is quite long actually, so I'd say best head over to the Steam workshop page and just look at the most popular / most downloaded mods and install those all.

For the GT3 Endurance series, you'll need the Simtek GT3 World Series mod - and don't forget to register a car in the car reservation thread.

samk115

Post by samk115 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks for that!

I have downloaded the simtek mod and been running some laps in the 488 on Bathurst, it’s a whole lot harder than project cars 2!!! On pcars 2 I was running comfy 2:06s but on Rfactor2 a 2:11 is pushing it!

I’m working on tunes at the moment, really struggling with understeer across the top of the mountain forcing me to lift more and longer. Hopefully I can get a setup dialled as I really do like the 488!

I’d like to join in on the endurance races but I want to get comfortable with RF2 first I think.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:51 pm

samk115 wrote: I’d like to join in on the endurance races but I want to get comfortable with RF2 first I think.
As long as you're consistent, that's all that really matters. We have a wide spread of pace here, so there'll always be someone to race against. Plus, there's no better way to learn a sim than racing online with it :P

samk115

Post by samk115 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Mike wrote:
samk115 wrote: I’d like to join in on the endurance races but I want to get comfortable with RF2 first I think.
As long as you're consistent, that's all that really matters. We have a wide spread of pace here, so there'll always be someone to race against. Plus, there's no better way to learn a sim than racing online with it :P
Im just worried about becoming a vehicular wrecking ball and ruining everyone elses night, its not much of an endurance event if everyone is DNF by lap 5! Thats a surefire way to be told to leave the island!

Bull

Post by Bull » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:43 pm

samk115 wrote:
Mike wrote:
Im just worried about becoming a vehicular wrecking ball and ruining everyone elses night, its not much of an endurance event if everyone is DNF by lap 5! Thats a surefire way to be told to leave the island!
Murphy and Growler both have the wrecking ball spots covered so don't stress about that!

You will learn 10x as much in an online race than you will offline on your own. Setup tips, watching others lines, braking points etc. All stuff you won't learn from racing offline or with the AI. As long as you can show basic car control that is all that is required!

Erik

Post by Erik » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:39 pm

samk115 wrote:
Mike wrote:
Don't worry, just join me at the back. The guys in front are perfectly capable of taking each other off the track without us needing to get involved. :D

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:04 pm

samk115 wrote: I have downloaded the simtek mod and been running some laps in the 488 on Bathurst, it’s a whole lot harder than project cars 2!!! On pcars 2 I was running comfy 2:06s but on Rfactor2 a 2:11 is pushing it!

I’m working on tunes at the moment, really struggling with understeer across the top of the mountain forcing me to lift more and longer. Hopefully I can get a setup dialled as I really do like the 488!

I’d like to join in on the endurance races but I want to get comfortable with RF2 first I think.

Welcome to the world of actual Sim Racing ;p
The server is currently set to Sebring (that's the next round) Jump on there and do some laps.
I'll pm the password.

Sign up to the Endurance league, if you can do a lap with out spinning, you'll be fine _b _b

samk115

Post by samk115 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Right, i have submitted a car reservation.

After testing on the server i realised i must have still had ABS on so some adjustments to braking points required but i will adapt!