Total noob despite the account creation date

New here? Say Hi and introduce yourself.
Popsikilla

Total noob despite the account creation date

Post by Popsikilla » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:30 pm

I've been wanting to get into sim racing for years, just recently bit the bullet and got myself a nice wee sim rig off a guy on Trade Me who was moving overseas.
I live south of Dunedin and it was up in Christchurch. D: Finally got the rig after weeks of waiting and got the thing home.

Came over here to KSR which I've been stalking for the past month or so while I waited to pick the rig up.
Tried to register and lo and behold there is already an account associated with this email.
Joined November 2016. Goes to show how long I've been holding out to actually buy a wheel. Haha

I've mucked around in a multitude of sims since getting it a couple of weeks ago. Mostly Assetto Corsa but I installed rFactor 2 and it's associated bits today because I know that's what is used on here.
I've been playing around with that some and it feels really good. I like the feel of driving in Automobilista more than any other sim I've tried, which I'm led to believe uses a modified version of the rFactor 1 engine? That might explain the feeling of rFactor 2 that I like.

I feel confident enough that I can actually get a car round a track now without overshooting every corner.
It took me some time to get a consistent feeling of braking without actually feeling my body slow down with the car.
I think I've got the basics down so I'd love to get involved in some online racing.
Like I read some one say on here, I'll learn 10 times as much in a single online race as I will offline.

Cheers, Luke

Bull

Re: Total noob despite the account creation date

Post by Bull » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:43 am

Welcome Luke. Yes, Automobilista is based off rFactor 1's engine (gMotor), rFactor 2 is an updated version of the physics engine, although the graphics engine is still playing catch up. Reiza Studios (who created Automobilista) recently released a great DLC car and track pack for rFactor 2, so I'd imagine whatever Reiza is working on in the future it will certainly be using the later rFactor 2 engine.

Be sure to join in, we have a lot of fun here. Braking is hard to get used to as most cheaper pedal setups use a potentiometer/switch rather than a pressure reading for the braking, so it doesn't really truly replicate a real car brake pedal. The more expensive wheel setups use pressure, and there is conversion kits available for the cheaper units.

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Welcome!! :) Don't forget, we have our Group C Le Mans Endurance (90 min) race Tuesday night - do join in the fun!

Popsikilla

Post by Popsikilla » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Yeah Bull, I'm getting more consistent with my braking. Although not at the first corner of Le Mans as Erik will know. :larf:

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:19 pm

Popsikilla wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys.
Yeah Bull, I'm getting more consistent with my braking. Although not at the first corner of Le Mans as Erik will know. :larf:
That's not my favorite corner either!