Vehicle ideas

For all aspects of real world racing, and general motoring chit chat
CJRacing
Location: Dannevirke, Roberston Holden International Speedway

Vehicle ideas

Post by CJRacing » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:36 pm

Hey im turning 18 in december, then getting a loan out(dad going guarentor) im alloud to spennd up to 10,000

whats some cars you would recomend? Kinda wanting a turbo'd 4WD car some thing with abit of power and looks nice

so far

Nissan pulsar gtir
Mazda familia GTX
Evo l, ll, lll
GSR

Corey43C

Re: Vehicle ideas

Post by Corey43C » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:21 pm

Expensive man but IMO if you want a nice but fast car pick yaself up a EVO IV (4) they are nice cars, fast for standerd and even better if you add modifications.

From 2LO _b
(:

Corey43C
Pitcrew 43c Streetstock

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:58 pm

get a v8 bro
yes we won the first race whoop,and i was 1st to roll in our team haha
:cflag: 861s Stratford Scrappers Captain :cflag:
:cflag: 47c individual leauge :cflag:
Outlaw Racing Industries 2009

pnpete

Post by pnpete » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Outlaw wrote:get a v8 bro
amen to that

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:01 am

Don't phuck about with mistis if you have 10k

Get a Caldina gt-t.

Quick as hell when tuned right and very practical

GTIR's aren't expensive, until you bang a g-box :larf:

If you were looking at 5k a tidy Familia could be ok, but in the 10k bracket it is outclassed.

GSR's are usually thrashed the pants out of nowadays, and EVO's if they are old enough are the same

ShaneNZ

Post by ShaneNZ » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:33 am

MEAN luke

if i had that much this would be my list

Toyota AE86 facelift
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 098331.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan LAUREL CLUB L 1990
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 326151.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mazda rx7 series 4
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 125169.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toyota Soarer
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 437565.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But hey i could go on haha
those are some of the cars id get
0 5 EHT KCUF
:bluesbro:

ShaneNZ

Post by ShaneNZ » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:37 am

Ohh for got to add the best one lol
2JZ Twin Turbo Toyota Supra :) would get a kick out of one of them
0 5 EHT KCUF
:bluesbro:

Naki

Post by Naki » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:16 am

Don't even think about mitsi's...

If you looking for something reliable etc then go toyota jz power

Or yes a V8 or something...Nissan are great but you spend more time fixing them.

This is what i'll be picking up soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:14 am

Stockcar? :D

CJRacing

Post by CJRacing » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:15 am

Yeah i know about pulsars as ive had a couple,

Apparently a common issue for the evo4 is some shaft bends or snaps when you launch? or thrash it to much.. i kinda want a car that can handle abit of that as most people like to have a hoon every now and then. This is why a v8 could be a good idea but i want to save those cars till im older and would enjoy it more..

Been looking at the caldina gt-t they seem like a wicked car and very spacey witch is good because i have a son and can easily put the carseat in and take it out again..

A car i like is the WRX wagon anyone have one of these? are they worth looking at as alot of people tell me you spend more time fixing them then driving them?

Oh and shane im not looking for a drift car lol..

Bull

Post by Bull » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:40 am

You need to factor in Vehicle costs as well... The mitsi's are quick when theyre going, but parts are usually more expensive then their japanese counterparts, and do have quite a few problems...

Don't bother with a Subaru or a Rotary Either, they will easily suck up another 10k in maintenance.

Id be looking at something like a Nissan Cefiro or Laurel with an RB in it (purely because Skydlines are far too common!) or a Toyota Supra with a JZ. Parts are aplenty, and enough people know a lot about them to get more power fairly easily if you get bored.

Or you could get a Toyota Soarer with the V8 in it. That'd be my choice. Ive heard they arent the cheapest to fix though.

If you can find one cheap enough, a Honda S2000 wouldn't be a silly idea either. They don't seem that fast, but for a N/A car when I drove one when I was working at Honda, its just as if not quicker then a GTST R32 Skyline.

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:02 am

Also depends what your after.

I had a mate of mine test drive this before I brought my truck and aparantly it goes like stink, while being nice and tidy (was a full year ago however)

For an awesome sleeper see here

For 10k (or a tad more) you could start looking at cheapish hot-rods, I only paid 12k for my ol' girl :D

It all depends what you want, our taste will not exactly match yours, also keep in mind what you are using it for, if it's going to be used everyday, realibility, readily available parts etc. (Toyotas :D )

Speedo_nz

Post by Speedo_nz » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:30 am

Get mum's subie luke its mint as ow. Wrx sti Wagon. never had problems
*The Return of The PANTHERS-Kiwi Superstocks Season 3 2010*

CJRacing

Post by CJRacing » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:12 pm

1 Problem, your've driven it :larf:

How much she wanting? got some pics?

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:34 pm

Before you buy Luke you need to factor in Insurance, general maintance and running costs...

some cost a lot more then others to insure... especially at your age... and thats if you can get insurance for some...

Oil changes and tuneups for some also can leave your wallet bear and if you don't maintain a more performance orenitated car then you maintance cost will go up with things going wrong... especially if you are going to drive it hard

Fuel milage for normal driving... many like subarus are known to drinking the stuff like a old V8 even with normal driving so you will be faced with regular trips to fill up...

Buy something that will be practical as you will be carting your son around at times...

CJRacing

Post by CJRacing » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:07 pm

well for the fuel thing, if you can own a perfromance car you should be able to afford the gas otherwise i wouldnt be looking for a turbo'd car

the insurance thing i think we will be sticking it under my dads name and just add me to the insurance and ill was going to pay him the extra that it cost each month, year how ever you pay it

maintenance wise, i would care for it, maintain it and service it reguarly so that it has a longer life time..

thanks for the info ratman and all other who have put the 2 cents in

Bull

Post by Bull » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:15 pm

Theres more to maintaining it then that, such as not thrashing it till its warm, not holding on red line for too long etc

If you stick insurance under your dads name, and they find out your the main driver, your insurance will be void. Also, if later on down the track you decide to stick it under your own name, and you have had no claims at all, you have no insurance history and will have no "No Claims" bonus etc as you have never been insured.

Speedo_nz

Post by Speedo_nz » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:22 pm

I only thrash mine when vroooom Psssh through the square chuuur..haha and when in drag train...other than that i nana it to save gas...I found that the subies are excellent on gas when above half a tank but once it goes under half its all gone burger
*The Return of The PANTHERS-Kiwi Superstocks Season 3 2010*

CJRacing

Post by CJRacing » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:08 pm

you can do that with the insurance though

as my brother girlfriend does it with her dad and its insured for both of them

as for redlining, i wont be doing that id wont my car to last awhile lol.

thrash it every now and then and id know to make sure its warm before i dun so. and also let it cool down before just turning it off

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:02 pm

buy something reliable and cheap to run or ask the hard questions: Have you got money for insurance? and rego/wof. Can you afford to spend over $100bucks every two weeks for a gas hungry pig? Why buy a car for 9-10gs done up that has been sh*t kicked buy other peeps your age when you can buy same car (without bling) from a sensible older person and trick it out yourself for the same dosh? Cars depreciate (for us plebes can afford) so whatever you get don't go to big into debt for your first (what I call) "mistake and whoops" car.
Admire the fur

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:06 pm

If you can afford it, get a CM5a GSR. Extremely reliable, comfortable, and relatively fast for an 1800cc turbo. easy to insure too, and if you have 10k to spend, you will get one that has low km and has a decent set of wheels on it. Dont bother with the evo1/2/3 shape, they are all f**ked now and are prone to roof rust.Dont bother with an evo 4 unless it has had an upgraded or rebuilt rear diff, the AYC is shite in the 4's and 5's. I know , had all of the above :)
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS
"Closed mouths gather no feet"

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Luke wrote:Hey im turning 18 in december, then getting a loan out(dad going guarentor) im alloud to spennd up to 10,000

whats some cars you would recomend? Kinda wanting a turbo'd 4WD car some thing with abit of power and looks nice
No offence mate, but I don't want to be doing a story on you about another young driver wrapping their car around a lamp post. Turbo'd ? o_O

Spend $2000 max on your 1st car, getting out a large loan on a depreciating asset is the quickest way to be broke/severe financial hardship by the time you're 25. Unless Daddy is always going to bail you out, then go for broke :D

and btw, insurance companies aren't dumb, if they can figure a way to charge a high risk driver like yourself the premium $$, they will. You're creating a lot of potential grief just to save a few bucks.

/end old man lecture
YouTube videos

Bull

Post by Bull » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Pretty sure its not his first car Prom

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:45 pm

Prometheus wrote: /end old man lecture
I feel wiser for surviving my youth as well ;)
Admire the fur

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:10 pm

Bull wrote:Pretty sure its not his first car Prom
My bad. And apologies.

18, turbo car for up to $10,000. Wise heads says it's a disaster awaiting. So prove me wrong, OK ! :D
YouTube videos