bmw car

For all aspects of real world racing, and general motoring chit chat
pahosky

bmw car

Post by pahosky » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:47 pm

What is better for a first car, BMW or mercedes? i was thinking of buying a used BMW 3 series probably and a mercedes c230 or so. I was just wondering which one would be better for a first time driver from these 2 cars only?
Last edited by pahosky on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bull

Re: bmw car

Post by Bull » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:05 pm

Buy a Fiat Multipla

WMS-Old Frt

Post by WMS-Old Frt » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:14 pm

As a first car you would be better off with something less expensive to buy and maintain.

Normally a first car should be something you don't mind getting carpark scratches on, don't mind if you dent it here and there as you go about learning not to be a young man with a slightly heavier right foot that puts you into positions where your skills as yet cannot cope effectively enough.

For many years I worked in a business that had the Factory Contracts to repair damaged rich men's toys. One of the things I found was that few owners of prestige vehicles actually maintain them properly.. due to cost... particularly Beemers and Mercs. Things like Ferrari's, Porsche's and Lambo's tended to be well maintained, although there were exceptions to that rule also.

What this means is that a Beemer or Merc within a first car buyer's price range is most likely in need of maintenance or repair work in order for it to give you a couple of years trouble free service. While it is possible to find one that is an exception to this, you must still factor in the excessive cost of running a prestige vehicle with a typical service charge of anywhere from a few hundred dollars upwards to the thousands.

Although if you are independantly wealthy already, or have parents who splash money at you for no good reason, then ignore my advice.
Dementia... isn't a Hollywood fantasy movie starring Mickey Mouse, apparently.

Growler

Post by Growler » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:23 pm

Old-frt - some of the early BMWs here are pretty cheap anyway.
You can buy an early 320 (high k's) for around $3,000 if you shop around.
Mercs are dropping in price too.

vandem
GPL luddite

Post by vandem » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:42 pm

... moving to a more appropriate forum ...

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:27 am

Yea have the same advice as Old-Frt, yep you can pick up a cheap Beamer or Merc these days but after being around a few workshops having these come in for services or WOF fixes the bills that go out the door are quite the shock to some of the young owners when comparing similar work done on mates cars. Much more to ownership of a vehicle than just the initial outlay

That said, money not an issue I'd buy a Merc, all the BMW's I've been in (not been in many late model ones though) look like they've been spat out without a thought of creature comforts to the interior...good ol German quality functional over everything heh

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:03 pm

personally none ,buy a japper cheaper to buy cheaper to fix and yes you have to take in consideration the carpark scratches
8A Auckland Allstars
53A Marx Motorsport indi league
"I Feel Safer On The Racetrack then I Do Auckland's Motorways"

ben62w

Post by ben62w » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:35 pm

pahosky wrote:What is better for a first car, BMW or mercedes? i was thinking of buying a used BMW 3 series probably and a mercedes c230 or so. I was just wondering which one would be better for a first time driver from these 2 cars only?
Get a M3 or Mercedes C63 AMG. My all time favourite car. 0-100 4.2 seconds. 6.3 V8 the sound is ammmaaazzziiinnggg... Ohh wait... First time driver? $170k is alot to spend for a first car hahaha
VC Stratford Scrappers 41s 2010 Season 2.
Indi league champ of champs 2010 62w
Best pairs winner 2010 Miller racing 62w & 22w

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:12 pm

Get a DeLorean

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:06 pm

For a first car get a jappa. cheap to maintain and repair if you snot something. BMW's are glorified lada's with electric windows anyway (well the base model ones anyway) :larf:
Euro's are pricey to maintain and buy replacement parts for, I had a 87 318i back in the day and wreckers charge like wounded bulls for parts :ffs:
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS
"Closed mouths gather no feet"

Predator

Post by Predator » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:43 pm

Bull wrote:Get Metallica

Bull

Post by Bull » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Predator wrote:
Bull wrote:Get Metallica
Get a Metallicar!

Blenderer

Post by Blenderer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:46 pm

?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If You Are In Control, You Are Not Going Fast Enough!