car information

For all aspects of real world racing, and general motoring chit chat
Revolva

car information

Post by Revolva » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:09 pm

Hey, looking at buying a 1997 subaru forester single turbo, its just got into the country and done 70 thou km's. Anyone have one of these or know anyone that does ? what are your thoughts and comments on them. ive taken one for a test drive and it drives pretty nice but not sure about reliability and fuel consumption. any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Last edited by Revolva on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:20 am

Hey, and welcome to NZ!

anything that is AWD and turbo'd ain't going to be all that fuel 'friendly'. I don't know much about Subaru's but do know when they break, they break expensively.

From the looks of all those K's you've done, i would go for something economical (in the same class as a forester) rather than performance. THis opinion is based on economics but if money isn't an issue then, my 1991 Toyota Soarer GT is up for sale :D
Admire the fur

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:02 pm

Snake wogers has one so he'd be the best person to ask.

As far as I know they are very good and are not too bad on fuel unless u put your foot down with the turbo of course.
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Revolva

Post by Revolva » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:32 pm

haha thanks for the info. sorry must not have explained myself too well :/ the car has just come into the country, arrived on tuesday and it has done 70,000. but yeah, figured they wouldnt be to fuel friendly :/

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:48 pm

I own a 98 sigle turbo 2 litre forster
I spent $100 on gas from auckland to parmy at easter and still had over a 1/4 of a tank left.

If you put you foot down then gas will get sucked up pretty fast.
Just make sure you get it serviced every 6 months and it should last for a long time :)
Wah Wah Wah

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:11 pm

Snake Rogers wrote:I own a 98 sigle turbo 2 litre forster
I spent $100 on gas from auckland to parmy at easter and still had over a 1/4 of a tank left.

Just make sure you get it serviced every 6 months and it should last for a long time :)
Gloat mode on.

Sparky the electric car drove me and Skuzz down, pottered around for 3 days and refilled for 31litres before heading back to sunny Auckland.

Gloat mode off.
YouTube videos

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:41 pm

Prometheus wrote:

Gloat mode on.

Sparky the electric car drove me and Skuzz down, pottered around for 3 days and refilled for 31litres before heading back to sunny Auckland.

Gloat mode off.

;p
Wah Wah Wah

Stinger

Post by Stinger » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:24 pm

Any turbo car is going to use more fuel. But they way you drive it makes a big differance. I drive a Celica gt4 turbo, these days i only spend $40 - $50 on gas a week and thats around town and hardly using the turbo. But ofcourse its a differant story when you want to have some fun :D

Get an AA check done if you can afford that extra $100ish its worth it in the long run. Check the fluids etc too and for any evidence of oil leaking, expecially near the turbo.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:26 pm

Cambelts, Tensioners and Idlers have to be done every 80,000km. If the belts fail, it's replace motor time :(

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:08 pm

down hill doesn't count snake ;)
Admire the fur

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:35 pm

Sasquatch wrote:

down hill doesn't count snake ;)
With your weight it would ;p
Wah Wah Wah