DVD Techie Question

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
Growler

DVD Techie Question

Post by Growler » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:54 pm

I have a techie question
My partner has a heap of VHS tapes and wants to copy them onto DVD.
There are two options I have suggested.

Buying a DVD recorder. She will be able to hook up her VHS to the DVD Recorder and copy them that way.
What brands are good? What does she need to look out for?
Any suggestions?
This would be the ideal as she can then use it in place of her VHS machine.
She can get a good deal from Philips but I want to check what is out there first.

Is there a good program out in internet land that I can use on the PC where I can hook up the VHS machine to say a TV card and then burn onto DVD from there?
Again any suggestions?

Lastly she also wants to buy a small portable DVD player.
Any recommendations?

Heppy

Re: DVD Techie Question

Post by Heppy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:25 pm

Tv capture card in your pc. (Have one in my media center just for the missuses old VHS never to be seen again movies....well now they digital O_o )
Then burn them to DVD if required.
Quality not Quantity

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:29 pm

Growler wrote:Buying a DVD recorder. She will be able to hook up her VHS to the DVD Recorder and copy them that way.
Any suggestions?
She can get a good deal from Philips but I want to check what is out there first.
We have a unit that has VHS and DVD built into it (Panasonic model I think) and that makes copying from VHS to DVD very easy.
"If he gets any wider, he'll be racing in the carpark!" - Aaron Drever

Growler

Post by Growler » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:00 pm

KSR Aaza wrote:
Growler wrote:Buying a DVD recorder. She will be able to hook up her VHS to the DVD Recorder and copy them that way.
Any suggestions?
We have a unit that has VHS and DVD built into it (Panasonic model I think) and that makes copying from VHS to DVD very easy.
What model?
And does it record to a hardrive?

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:03 pm

That model doesn't have a hard-drive (we do have one that is a HDD and DVD though). Model of the VHS-DVD is DMR E75V - came out a few years back which would probably mean that there is newer models that does the lot now.
"If he gets any wider, he'll be racing in the carpark!" - Aaron Drever

Kinser

Post by Kinser » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:06 pm

Hey Growler, it's quite timely how you've posted the question asking about recording VHS to DVD.
I have just been given some old VHS tapes & 8mil tapes of racing back in the days at the old Baypark track, 1980's through to 1995 and am slowly in the process to putting them onto DVD.

I was so excited to have these tapes in my possesion that the missus went out and bought a DVD Recorder. What we purchased was a Panasonic DVD Recorder - DMR-EH68 and has 320GB Hard Drive. (Only a fortnight ago)
It's a player that I'd recommend and is simple to use. Once saved onto hard drive, you can burn it to disc and also into different formats.

All I did was plug the video player into the TV and the DVD player into the outs of the TV and it worked like a gem. No hassles at all. I even started recording the kids VHS tape on DVD now. With the DivX programmme I've put at least 3 old Baypark meeting onto one disc and it plays fine on our Portable DVD player. (Have a guest what I'll be watching on the way to Palmy Teams). (Panasonic DVD-LS86). Alternatively I've just played them on the laptop and had the local Auto Electricians make me up a cord with a car charger and that's worked fine as well. And also this portable player with let you play your Video Camera as well, straight after the speedway meeting has finished....wicked fun alright on the way home.

Good luck mate with what you decide, hope this helps.