Motherboard assistance

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
Sasquatch

Motherboard assistance

Post by Sasquatch » Tue May 12, 2009 3:42 pm

My flatmate purchased a 'rarely used' Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3761P06 00282 mobo from Trademe. He also purchased a AMD AM2 6000+ X2 chip (new) to go on the board. Now, when he connects the psu after putting together to test the board is completely dead...no fans spin and nothing happens....what we have done so far is:

*tried a different power supply and different power cable.
*took out the ram and tried
*we tried jump starting the system with a screw driver instead of using the power on/off switch
*swapped HDDs
*disconnected everything but psu, mobo, cpu, ram.
*took out the paper washers for mobo mounting screws to see if it wasn't grounded properly.

We don't have a spare cpu to test mobo with.

We can't get any life into this thing and yes, I did test the start terminals with a multimeter and confirmed there is a circuit. The conclusion I am coming to is, its knackered. Any suggestions or ideas on what we can try (other than buying a new mobo) I'd like to hear.
Admire the fur

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Re: Motherboard assistance

Post by Prometheus » Tue May 12, 2009 5:28 pm

lol, not from IT-PRO was it ? :D
YouTube videos

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed May 13, 2009 12:03 am

Have you checked that the CPU is actually supported by the board? Not just the CPU socket type, but the actual chip itself.
Quite often you'll need to flash the bios to get it to work with newer versions of chips, I would update the bios on it to the latest version and then see if it fires in to life.

I couldn't find the number of that board on the interweb, but I did find this:
http://www.giga-byte.co.nz/Support/Moth ... #anchor_os" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is that the board? If so, those be the bios versions you need for the particular chip.

Not sure how you'd go about flashing the bios tho, you'd probably need an older chip to get it going first.

It is indeed possible you have purchised a dud ;) either that or she got 'popped' in the post, if you know what I mean :D
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Thu May 14, 2009 3:14 pm

What Bazzil said :rolleyes:
Wah Wah Wah