pc problem

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
Sasquatch

pc problem

Post by Sasquatch » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:17 pm

after about 4 hours of playing around with rfactor my graphics card did freeze lock up thingie...it wasn't hot hot..but hot... now my pc when booting shows wavy lines everywhere and 1/2 the time windows won't boot unless in safe mode. started pc in safe mode several times and red wavy lines are all over my screen... i farted around with the ram and pc worked a couple of time but not anymore... reseated graphics card and its fine...i am not tooo sure if my psu is starting to pack it up because one of my case fans stopped turning, or its the mobo....i hate to think its my graphics card...comments?
Admire the fur

Viking

Re: pc problem

Post by Viking » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:33 pm

Sounds like Power supply, or Mobo.
Are you able to try another power supply in it, to rule that out, even if it's not got enough grunt to run the Graphics at full speed.
"Ooooh, Can someone please, remove these, cutleries, from my knees" - fotc
"All those who hate speeding tickets, raise your right foot"

HumbleRacing

Post by HumbleRacing » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:48 pm

yea try the power
then the fan try and fix tht it might just be getting warm and doing some damage :confused:

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:32 am

thanks guys

this morning turned it on and the 1st 4 attempts it failed continuously. Even in bios the white lettering had jagged corners and such. checked power in bios and there were two sections showing power but they were in RED. never scene that before o_O ... last night i reset bios to default... on the 5th go it started normally... i quickly backed out the driver - redownloaded the latest for my 8800 and installed...rebooted normally. did an avg full system scan and found lots of tracking cookies in monzilla. Just doing a auslogics defrag now... 1 fan still not turning but my cpu fan that lights up isn't flickering anymore.... i've taken the side off and running a desk fan directly onto the graphics card just incase. will reboot after doing scans and resetting graphics card setting back to default... (no not overclocking)

I have a 700watt Thermaltake PSU with the cable management system... i think its still under warranty...will hunt for receipt. however, i don't have a sufficent power supply to test with... my only other psu is a 400 and it won't even turn my graphics card (i think)
Admire the fur

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:20 am

still same problem :( now in the bios and it has lines all over the screen. must be either power or graphics card D:
Admire the fur

Heppy

Post by Heppy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:46 am

400watts is good enough to power your system up, just not good enough to power at 100%.
Had you changed anything, or installed anything prior to your pc problems?
My advice would be to check for cloggy dust buildup in your heatsinks, CPU, GPU and PSU.
Also install speedfan, this will monitor fan speeds, voltages and temperature of everything.
Most decent PC shops will test your PSU for free, and it takes only a few seconds.
Then test RAM with Memtest. You will have to run 3 or 4 exe's to use up all of your RAM, they should run all day with ZERO errors.

Maybe PSU failure, followed by RAM then GPU and then motherboard.

EXE's attatched
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks guys

over at Inspector's and just swapped out graphics cards. no more problems except for front case fan...found out what that problem was due to, my 8800GTX ULtra because it is soooooooo farking big was pressing against the case wire that fires the front fan and it melted the wire over time....no indication of damage to graphics card though. Not sure but my graphics card might still be under warranty (3 years??) and might be able to get it serviced.

Will be doing what heppy suggested and further test
Admire the fur