Is Windows 7 best OS for gaming?

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
Sasquatch

Is Windows 7 best OS for gaming?

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:27 pm

A good little read here:

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/features/13 ... ing/page1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It certainly opened my eyes.
Admire the fur

Flyboy69

Re: Is Windows 7 best OS for gaming?

Post by Flyboy69 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:42 pm

I've been running Windows 7 since the beta was first released and tend to agree with the article, but not just for gaming, day to day stuff is far better to. Once you get use to the slightly different lay out Windows 7 in brilliant. I hate my work PC now which is still running XP.

Never thought I would like a Microsoft product so much. I think it will be well worth the money to upgrade
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

Maniak

Post by Maniak » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:08 pm

Agreed. I have rolled all our comps at home to Win 7. Even the older single core PC installed perfectly and now (very scientifically) feels crisper and nicer to use - especially compared to Vista.

Sennheiserl

Post by Sennheiserl » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

hey all i got a disk today with one of the computer mag that has Windows 7 release candidate which it says it is a fully working pre-release version do you reckon it would be worth installing it. i am currently running xp.

Cheers Senn

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:53 pm

Definitely worth the change, have been running Win 7 since its beta release as well and now have no plans to go back, everything I've thrown at it has just worked and felt like its running better.

Running the 64bit and 32bit at work on various machines and will be switching to 64bit once its released _b

1twisted1

Post by 1twisted1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:55 am

which computer mag is the disc on?
Making fun of Nascar fans is fun, and if they chase me, I just turn right.

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Bearing in mind that Windows 7 RC runs out mid next year, so make sure you can either re-install our existing OS or plan on buying Windows 7 when it is released.
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

DraK

Post by DraK » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:06 pm

Does rFactor play nicely with windows 7 64bit? If so, may upgrade over the weekend.
..... and once a week there is race night! ....

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:09 pm

DraK wrote:Does rFactor play nicely with windows 7 64bit? If so, may upgrade over the weekend.
I'll find out soonish, new machine running it and gonna install rFactor at weekend...after Flatout Ultimate Carnage of course :D
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:48 pm

DraK wrote:Does rFactor play nicely with windows 7 64bit? If so, may upgrade over the weekend.

Works without a issue with slightly higher fps and I'm running 64 bit.

Scrunty

Post by Scrunty » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Flyboy69 wrote:Bearing in mind that Windows 7 RC runs out mid next year, so make sure you can either re-install our existing OS or plan on buying Windows 7 when it is released.
You can dual boot if you like instead of re-installing, I am - installed to a different drive and it takes care of it automatically
Halo Racing

DraK

Post by DraK » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:18 pm

Sweet, good reason to upgrade then i guess!

Anyone found any other issues/annoyances?
..... and once a week there is race night! ....

uturn

Post by uturn » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:55 pm

#1 annoyance driver availability.

The realtek HD audio driver is not ready yet... having said that the one they have released does put out sound but the implementation of 5.1/7.1 is not real... they fudge it by cloning from other channels... doesn't matter unless your watching AC3 movies and the like... oh... i see they've just released a new driver so maybe its fixed now O_o hope so...

Nvidia driver works kinda as well but is a bit temperamental when it comes to switching resolutions... multiple monitor support is much better now though.

Took me a whole day to get my satellite card powered up and tuned in again >_<

+ DirectX 11 no longer has the troubleshooting area where you could set custom refresh rates for custom screen sizes... there will be another way though... I just havent found it yet :rolleyes:

++ I hate the way Windows Explorer works with the naff triangles and stupid address bar... if you need all that pretty stuff you should be in the kitchen making cupcakes instead of staring at stuff you have no clue about and thinking, "oh look at all the pretty colours!!"...

+++ Some muppet decided that everyone who was going to buy 7 was going to be on a home network or work network and they were all going to share all their stuff with each other and they knew exactly how they were going to do it so that when you go looking for a different way to do it, every path leads back to their way of doing it... if you get what i mean but you probably dont coz its not your way :ffs:

....in conclusion: With windows server 2003 I had to spend maybe half an hour to change it from a boring work wagon into a funky desktop weapon that was totally reliable... been running 7 for nearly two months now and its still a semi-naked girls blouse of a "i wanna do everything for you cause you're to stupid to do it yourself" kind of operating system... but I think it has potential. It is 1000+ better than vista and works well with rFactor, GTA4, Resident Evil 5 or any of the "Games for Windows Live" titles...

If you have at least 2GB RAM, a mid to high end Dual Core, 256MB+ Video Card (not onboard) and decent HDD I'd recommend upgrading from windows XP/2K3...

if you are running Vista I recommend you upgrade no matter what hardware you have.... anything is better than that crap.

IMO :D

Rizzal

Post by Rizzal » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:18 pm

:larf: :larf: Shot Turner. Crazy write up.lol
Rizzal Cre8tionz

slobb11

Post by slobb11 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:29 pm

uturn wrote:been running 7 for nearly two months now and its still a semi-naked girls blouse of a "i wanna do everything for you cause you're to stupid to do it yourself" kind of operating system...
Hahaha that's gold!
Go linux....it doesn't do shit-all for you! lol
Slobb11
Mad Mofo Extraordinaire
The maddest in mofos since 1982

Kinser

Post by Kinser » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:34 pm

Just got my new PC yesterday and its operating Windows 7 64 Bit.....it's like going back to school and starting all over again, slightly getting frustrated by I'll get there.

Need some help please with;

Teamspeak 2 64 Bit
Microsoft Outlook - well the Windows 7 64 bit version, I'm not used to Windows Live :larf:
and most probably much more...........

Keen to jump on TS, on the old PC and have a chat with anyone who can help please. :D

2LO

Post by 2LO » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Im on Win7 32bit so im not sure if ill be of much help.. but i could try bro
:cflag: Tramac is for getting there, Dirt is for Racing
:cflag: Pitcrew 43c Streetstock
This Guy is SO Awesome

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:46 pm

As I said tonight Kinser I have not really had a problem with all the mainstream programms and just installed to the default locations... you can run 32 bit stuff as well usually and do not need to be 64 bit

Kinser

Post by Kinser » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 am

Thanks Ratman and Ugmo for your guys help last night.

I'll slowly making some progress, just totally re-installed the Motherboard DVD etc....

Still having issues with Teamspeak 2 though, but I'll re-download when I get home from work this arvo.

Patience is a virtue :D .