PC Problems

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
1073p

PC Problems

Post by 1073p » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:24 am

Hello all,

I am having computer problems at the moment and was hoping people could give me some advice,

My rfactor freezes and about 30seconds later my PC restarts it self, this only happens when Im playing rfaccy. I think it could be a gfx card issue, i have updated drivers and gave the dust a blow out. I also noticed that since installing win 7 my rfactor config says i have a 1200 odd mb gfx card, its a 512 i thought lol.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Jamie
Birth Place Teams champions (Gisborne - 99g) with KJ,Harding and DK

Aaron

Re: PC Problems

Post by Aaron » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:36 am

I got the card out of my old pc late last night (its in my machine at the moment :)), will text you later tonight after testing it with rfactor. _b

Bull

Post by Bull » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:49 am

1073p wrote:Hello all,

I am having computer problems at the moment and was hoping people could give me some advice,

My rfactor freezes and about 30seconds later my PC restarts it self, this only happens when Im playing rfaccy. I think it could be a gfx card issue, i have updated drivers and gave the dust a blow out. I also noticed that since installing win 7 my rfactor config says i have a 1200 odd mb gfx card, its a 512 i thought lol.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Jamie
Quite often your PC will add "Virtual Memory" on top of your actual graphics card VRAM, IE Mine is only a 1gb card but shows as 1.7gb in DXDiag.

Id give your PC a good clean out with compressed air, clean all your fans etc and try running without the side of the case on and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then your looking at some new cards :)

I do have a spare 7600 that I used to use and could run the game on medium/low, Id imagine Aarons card will be considerably better though

Speedo_nz

Post by Speedo_nz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:55 am

same problem as mine Jamie?
*The Return of The PANTHERS-Kiwi Superstocks Season 3 2010*

steve

Post by steve » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:13 pm

Hmmm dnt run with side off thts how u gt static damage and tht will kill your pc
U can pick up cheap ati pci x cards nw for around 160 ish
p.s wat is the current model of your card the thermal paste may have dryed up and this will cause to overheat and go into thermal shutdown....
if you don't shut up my Makka Pakka Is going To Give Your Upsy Daisy
A Right Good Iggle Piggle Up The Ninky Nonk whilst the Tombliboos Referee!!! (.)(.)

Bull

Post by Bull » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:18 pm

steve wrote:Hmmm dnt run with side off thts how u gt static damage and tht will kill your pc
U can pick up cheap ati pci x cards nw for around 160 ish
p.s wat is the current model of your card the thermal paste may have dryed up and this will cause to overheat and go into thermal shutdown....
I only suggested removing the side of your PC as a test to see whether or not its an overheating issue...

1073p

Post by 1073p » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:19 pm

thanks guys will try all of the above

I have an ati raedeon 1600 series 512meg

Tried running with the saide off too and it done the same thing, gunna give it the full clean inside this arvo,

I hope your spare works aaron

Kinser

Post by Kinser » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Hope it all gets sorted out for you Jamie bro.

I have had a few issues with my PC closing down by itself, I just put it down to I may need more cooling fans, so I've added a self powered one into my spare PCI slot at a very minimal cost which also included a tube of Artic Cool paste, thanks to Trade Me.

I run 3 monitors, 2 on my graphics card and I knew I had to cool my graphics card down as it was running in the 70+ degrees, now it's between 50-60. CPU is fine.

Even my other desktop at home has been having the same issues of closing down by itself.

Since doing that it's done the trick, so far no more PC crashes, touch wood bro.

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Kinser wrote:Hope it all gets sorted out for you Jamie bro.

I have had a few issues with my PC closing down by itself, I just put it down to I may need more cooling fans, so I've added a self powered one into my spare PCI slot at a very minimal cost which also included a tube of Artic Cool paste, thanks to Trade Me.

I run 3 monitors, 2 on my graphics card and I knew I had to cool my graphics card down as it was running in the 70+ degrees, now it's between 50-60. CPU is fine.

Even my other desktop at home has been having the same issues of closing down by itself.

Since doing that it's done the trick, so far no more PC crashes, touch wood bro.
Sorry to slightly high-jack this. But how do you check your Graphcis card temp? I know I cant check my cpu temp due to it being intel and single core. But would liek to know my Graphics temp if possible. I may have to do the same thing as you've done there Kinser. Sounds like an affordable option. _b
My Abilities are Only Limited by Those who try to Test Them
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:27 pm

I run an ATI card and there is a temp gauge in the controlling software, if its nvidia (I don't know as much) but testing my other card I'm using HWmonitor for my temps.

BTW: spare card seems fine... if anything going better than my main one. Probably due to the insane level of heat my ati card runs at, will just test on rfaccy now and will see.

1073p

Post by 1073p » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:53 pm

good news aaron..... am i able to come pick it up from you? or do you wanna pop around home at some stage?

Hopefully this is all the porblems, time for a big clean up on the pc anyways, just wanna be sorted for monday

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:55 pm

ok just tested on rfactor, full settings in the rfaccy config.

Did a 26 lap race with 16 cars, fps seemed stable enough and temperature of card was just below 70 degrees at end of race, with it on 60% fan speed.

You can pick it up if you want to cold outside :larf:

Rocketship

Post by Rocketship » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:14 pm

:larf: Hopefully it sorts it 1073, it would suck if you had to pull out of finals night due to engine problems :( Good luck in sorting that problem man _b

uturn

Post by uturn » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:05 pm

windows 7 has a pretty good error reporting feature.

after you have one of those crashes and your computer restarts, click the start button and type "event" then click "Event Viewer"

Expand the "Windows Logs" menu and click "Application"...

Look for a red "Stop" icon in the center window with error next to it and click on each one until you find one with rFactor related info in the bottom window. That should point to a software related issue.

If there is nothing there, expand the "Windows and Services Logs" menu and click "Hardware". If there are any hardware problems they should be listed in the center window.

ps: You can check this stuff without actually crashing first but it helps if you know when it happened last so you can find it easier.

Bull

Post by Bull » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:23 pm

uturn wrote:windows 7 has a pretty good error reporting feature.

after you have one of those crashes and your computer restarts, click the start button and type "event" then click "Event Viewer"

Expand the "Windows Logs" menu and click "Application"...

Look for a red "Stop" icon in the center window with error next to it and click on each one until you find one with rFactor related info in the bottom window. That should point to a software related issue.

If there is nothing there, expand the "Windows and Services Logs" menu and click "Hardware". If there are any hardware problems they should be listed in the center window.

ps: You can check this stuff without actually crashing first but it helps if you know when it happened last so you can find it easier.
Theres a similar feature on Vista, Ive forgotten where you find it now though ...

1073p

Post by 1073p » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks for the help guys, seems to be ok after a good clem up indise the old beast, I tried another grafics card (nvidia 8800gt) that needed to be plugged in to the power supply but my pc screen shut down like it was over heating again the card i am using currently does not need the plug from the power supply

Bull

Post by Bull » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:37 pm

I had similar probs once, my Power Supply wasn't grunty enough

1073p

Post by 1073p » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:51 pm

think mine is 500 w, i will just go back to the old one that looks new again because i cleaned it for the first time ever haha, and the computer was a dust bomb lol

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:06 pm

1073p wrote:think mine is 500 w, i will just go back to the old one that looks new again because i cleaned it for the first time ever haha, and the computer was a dust bomb lol
Hmm my old pc had like a 350 or 450w running that card so shouldnt be a problem... mind you thats what crapped out in it haha. Just keep the dust out of it you might be sweet.

hawkins

Post by hawkins » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:23 am

i had the same issue as you by the sounds of it jamie .... another test is to do the whole force fed fan thing ...
a household fan will do the trick with the side open let it sit there next to your on on full nut and see if it still shuts down
this all depends on if its shutting down once its actually trying to play a game or something or it just wont tart up at all i guess ... mine was shutting down after around 5 laps on the server
WELLINGTONWILDCATS BRINGING BACK THE BIFF

When life throws you a curve , Slam it down a gear and hit the apex harder !!!!!

1073p

Post by 1073p » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:21 pm

hawkins wrote:i had the same issue as you by the sounds of it jamie .... another test is to do the whole force fed fan thing ...
a household fan will do the trick with the side open let it sit there next to your on on full nut and see if it still shuts down
this all depends on if its shutting down once its actually trying to play a game or something or it just wont tart up at all i guess ... mine was shutting down after around 5 laps on the server
What ended up happening to yours?

1073p

Post by 1073p » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:53 pm

pc still powering down. will race on laptop if it handles the full field or Kjs pc tonight