PC Upgrades

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
ben62w

PC Upgrades

Post by ben62w » Tue May 18, 2010 9:29 pm

Guys im not the best when it comes to pc's.
Someone the other day was talking about FPS when i was in the server. Mine was running between 170-250 everything on full. How do i crank this up?
What are some little ways to pimp my pc up.
Here is whats in it atm.
Can i add another graphics card? Or what? lol

Intel Quad Q8200 2.33ghz
8gb ram
500w PSU (aparently this matters sometimes if adding graphics cards?)
Geforce 9600GT

Not wanting to spend tooooooooo much.

Just chuck some ideas my way :)
VC Stratford Scrappers 41s 2010 Season 2.
Indi league champ of champs 2010 62w
Best pairs winner 2010 Miller racing 62w & 22w

steve

Re: PC Upgrades

Post by steve » Tue May 18, 2010 10:01 pm

hmmmm i see 3 options depending on what you wanna spend you already have an okish quad but cn be changed

1 bif the 9600 yer it ok but you gt 8 gig ram get ya self a nice ati card 1 gig gdr5 wrks well with quads
2 Definatly power supply yes it says 500 watt but i bet if you look at the (12 volt rail) sum psus have 2 and some only 1 min ov 22amps to run decint graphics..

P.s if you have 2 12 volt rails you CANNOT join them i have been asked....

3 a nice case with efficent cooling Best Air flow large rear top.. large front bottom....... side fans can disrupt air flow and can disrupt air around the cpu fan intake... to many dos hurt...

4 sum cool neons just to zazz it up lol....

p.s is your ram match sets or just watevers thrown in ...

depending wat u run ddr2 or ddr3 higher mhz ram utilizes well with quads also 1333mhz 1066mhz ect ect cough or sum corsair 4 gig 2000mhz chips be good
if you don't shut up my Makka Pakka Is going To Give Your Upsy Daisy
A Right Good Iggle Piggle Up The Ninky Nonk whilst the Tombliboos Referee!!! (.)(.)

Bull

Post by Bull » Tue May 18, 2010 10:02 pm

170FPS is fine. Anything over 60 isn't really noticeable by the human eye ... (You won't know the difference between 60 and 150)

Though, if your getting that high, you could look at running at higher resolutions, turning graphics settings etc up ingame just to make it look a little better :)

Bull

Post by Bull » Tue May 18, 2010 10:04 pm

steve wrote:hmmmm i see 3 options depending on what you wanna spend you already have an okish quad but cn be changed

1 bif the 9600 yer it ok but you gt 8 gig ram get ya self a nice ati card 1 gig gdr5 wrks well with quads
2 Definatly power supply yes it says 500 watt but i bet if you look at the (12 volt rail) sum psus have 2 and some only 1 min ov 22amps to run decint graphics..

P.s if you have 2 12 volt rails you CANNOT join them i have been asked....

3 a nice case with efficent cooling Best Air flow large rear top.. large front bottom....... side fans can disrupt air flow and can disrupt air around the cpu fan intake... to many dos hurt...

4 sum cool neons just to zazz it up lol....

p.s is your ram match sets or just watevers thrown in ...

depending wat u run ddr2 or ddr3 higher mhz ram utilizes well with quads also 1333mhz 1066mhz ect ect cough or sum corsair 4 gig 2000mhz chips be good
You actually completely missed the weakest point in his system atm, which is the CPU. If I was looking at upgrading it I would update the CPU first, but hes getting more then enough FPS atm so wouldn't bother, unless you have cash to burn or want to play some new release games on max settings.

ben62w

Post by ben62w » Tue May 18, 2010 10:23 pm

Awww GEEEZE lol.. How do i know what im running??? LOL

DDR2? or what uhh.. does it help if i take a screenshot of something.. I like the sound of upgrading graphics card... hmmm...

HAHAHA i got no idea eh..

skinstad77

Post by skinstad77 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:16 pm

i run 130 to 200 and i have been on a pc running 500's didnt notice a difference TBH _b
CANTERBURY SUPERSTOCK CHALLENGE-WINNER
WAIKATO SUPERSTOCK CHAMPIONSHIP-WINNER
NEW ZEALAND GRAND PRIX CHAMPIONSHIP-3rd
2010 INDIVIDUAL LEAGUE ROUND 1 OVERALL-3rd

2LO

Post by 2LO » Tue May 18, 2010 11:32 pm

I'm running on full detail at steady 180-200 FPS

Nvidia 9500gt Gfx card _b
:cflag: Tramac is for getting there, Dirt is for Racing
:cflag: Pitcrew 43c Streetstock
This Guy is SO Awesome

steve

Post by steve » Wed May 19, 2010 9:43 am

lol on the first line bull he has okish quad but tht can be changed...

the biggest thng iv noticed with larger fps above 250 is the pole line is alot crisper and more defined and groves in track show up alot better ect
and taking screenshots tht look like photos well say no more
A Right Good Iggle Piggle Up The Ninky Nonk whilst the Tombliboos Referee!!! (.)(.)

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed May 19, 2010 10:53 am

steve wrote:lol on the first line bull he has okish quad but tht can be changed...

the biggest thng iv noticed with larger fps above 250 is the pole line is alot crisper and more defined and groves in track show up alot better ect
and taking screenshots tht look like photos well say no more
The only way things can look "Crisper" is if you have also turned Graphic settings/resolution etc Up as well.

Im just saying IF he decides to upgrade (which he really doesn't need to for rF) the CPU would be the first place to start, then GFX card. There is no way in the world he needs more RAM for rFaccy though, 512mb will run it let alone 8gb! lol

steve

Post by steve » Wed May 19, 2010 11:01 am

lol yep agree thea 8 gig is alot of ram for rfactor but multi tasking is so much easier with it...

I run my screen res @ 1650 x1080

It all depends on what he wants to due for future uprades also BEN do you no if your mobo has duel pci x slots i.e 2 slots for graphics cards....
was in your first post i thnk..

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed May 19, 2010 12:56 pm

You are getting pretty good fps as it is. I get around 200 fps on average on everything high except special effects.

Oh and bull your comment about anything over 60 inst noticeable go on cod4 play at 60 then change it to 250 then tell me you cant notice it. :rolleyes:

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed May 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Aaron wrote:You are getting pretty good fps as it is. I get around 200 fps on average on everything high except special effects.

Oh and bull your comment about anything over 60 inst noticeable go on cod4 play at 60 then change it to 250 then tell me you cant notice it. :rolleyes:
I don't.

Ive played BC2 on 40 to 200 and don't notice the difference one bit.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed May 19, 2010 1:20 pm

then you are weird.

newB

Post by newB » Wed May 19, 2010 3:19 pm

How do I check what my FPS is running at?

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed May 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Theres a few free programs (and some new games even have it built in), but most use FRAPS

2LO

Post by 2LO » Wed May 19, 2010 3:41 pm

For rFactor you can either use Fraps as Bull said or you can push ctrl+f while in game (on a track) and it will bring it up in ya top right corner.

CoD4 you can use a command, xfire or fraps etc, there's many different ways though.
:cflag: Tramac is for getting there, Dirt is for Racing
:cflag: Pitcrew 43c Streetstock
This Guy is SO Awesome

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Wed May 19, 2010 5:52 pm

To be fair, running at 170+ FPS means there is no need to upgrade unless you wish to play 2010 games on full detail. If you don't play any games besides rFactor or ones that are pre-2009, you're just wasting money that you could set aside for a new computer in about a year or twos time when something better has come out.

Yeah there's new processors around, DDR3 RAM and DDR3 & 1GB graphics cards out plus USB 3.0 coming in at the moment but you need to see if you 'really' need it now.
"If he gets any wider, he'll be racing in the carpark!" - Aaron Drever

ben62w

Post by ben62w » Wed May 19, 2010 7:29 pm

LOL i dont really NEED to. Just being a bit greedy i guess lol. My graphics card is a 1GB one. I built my PC in october last year. So its still good. Im just wondering thats all.

slobb11

Post by slobb11 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:14 pm

Bull wrote:
Aaron wrote:You are getting pretty good fps as it is. I get around 200 fps on average on everything high except special effects.

I don't.

It's not often I agree with Bull on anything....but....
Anyone who says they can see the difference between 60Hz and 100Hz+ is either misguided, or FoS.
The human eye can NOT see more than about 70Hz. Personally...I'd say about 50Hz is the limit where I can detect a flicker, and even then I can only see it in my peripheral vision.

That said....I've had games supposedly running at 150 odd fps, and I've noticed a jerkiness that would seem about 25fps. Not sure what causes this, but I'd guess that the game itself is running at the reported 150fps, but something somewhere else is causing a bottleneck that reduces the effective fps to a noticably low speed.
If you have 100fps, but something isn't updating fast enough, then the actual view might only be updated once every 4 frames....effectively showing you 25 DIFFERENT frames per second.
Someone more in the know with how graphics adapters work might be able to shed light on this.

Ben62w....for rFactor your specs are fine.
Any game released in the last few years will run better on a high speed dual core (3 - 3.5Ghz for example) than on a low speed quad core like you have. Only the very latest games are making decent use of more than 2 cores.
I'm looking at upgrading as well...and I think a happy medium to look at is a 3Ghz quad core. You'd still have decent processing power for software that can only utilise two cores, but you've got 4 available for those that can utilise more than 2 cores. Happy to hear other opinions on this....

You've got heaps of memory...8GB is great.

Power Supply....500w is heaps provided it's a decent quality PSU. You're better off with a stable 500w, than an unstable 750w.

Graphics-wise....a 9600gt is fine for rFactor, but will definitely struggle with any game released in the last couple of years.

At the end of the day.....if you can run everything you want to run, why waste money upgrading. Wait until you find something you want to play but can't, THEN upgrade.

In response to my own post....

TL.DR
Slobb11
Mad Mofo Extraordinaire
The maddest in mofos since 1982

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed May 19, 2010 9:34 pm

slobb11 wrote:
Bull wrote:

I don't.

It's not often I agree with Bull on anything....but....
Anyone who says they can see the difference between 60Hz and 100Hz+ is either misguided, or FoS.
The human eye can NOT see more than about 70Hz. Personally...I'd say about 50Hz is the limit where I can detect a flicker, and even then I can only see it in my peripheral vision.

That said....I've had games supposedly running at 150 odd fps, and I've noticed a jerkiness that would seem about 25fps. Not sure what causes this, but I'd guess that the game itself is running at the reported 150fps, but something somewhere else is causing a bottleneck that reduces the effective fps to a noticably low speed.
If you have 100fps, but something isn't updating fast enough, then the actual view might only be updated once every 4 frames....effectively showing you 25 DIFFERENT frames per second.
Someone more in the know with how graphics adapters work might be able to shed light on this.

Ben62w....for rFactor your specs are fine.
Any game released in the last few years will run better on a high speed dual core (3 - 3.5Ghz for example) than on a low speed quad core like you have. Only the very latest games are making decent use of more than 2 cores.
I'm looking at upgrading as well...and I think a happy medium to look at is a 3Ghz quad core. You'd still have decent processing power for software that can only utilise two cores, but you've got 4 available for those that can utilise more than 2 cores. Happy to hear other opinions on this....

You've got heaps of memory...8GB is great.

Power Supply....500w is heaps provided it's a decent quality PSU. You're better off with a stable 500w, than an unstable 750w.

Graphics-wise....a 9600gt is fine for rFactor, but will definitely struggle with any game released in the last couple of years.

At the end of the day.....if you can run everything you want to run, why waste money upgrading. Wait until you find something you want to play but can't, THEN upgrade.

In response to my own post....

TL.DR
Should say, TL DR And I agree with Bull :larf:

ben62w

Post by ben62w » Wed May 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Hey slobb..

Thanks for that thats huge help.. ANd i understood it all lol (give self a pat on the back)

I was told when i built my pc that in some cases Duals were still better than Quads. But i went with the quad anyway. Im pretty happy with it all. Its never lagged on any games at all. I havnt really pushed it though i think Halflife 2 would be the highest graphics game ive played on it and thats a pretty old game now.
Might have to see how she goes with some of the new games. Then upgrade the CPU and Graphics card in a year or so.
Thanks heaps for your help guys
Chur

and Bull xoxox

slobb11

Post by slobb11 » Sat May 22, 2010 12:17 am

ben62w wrote:Hey slobb..

Thanks for that thats huge help.. ANd i understood it all lol (give self a pat on the back)

I was told when i built my pc that in some cases Duals were still better than Quads. But i went with the quad anyway. Im pretty happy with it all. Its never lagged on any games at all. I havnt really pushed it though i think Halflife 2 would be the highest graphics game ive played on it and thats a pretty old game now.
Might have to see how she goes with some of the new games. Then upgrade the CPU and Graphics card in a year or so.
Thanks heaps for your help guys
Chur

and Bull xoxox
No worries mate :)
I've been running a 2.5Ghz dual-core for the last couple of years and haven't had too many problems.
I think the only time I've ever had the CPU causing a serious bottle-neck was with the PCC2007 mod in rFactor with 42 AI cars on track. 2fps for the win!
It still didn't end up being a problem though.....I just deleted all the talent-files for that mod, so rFactor fell back to using its default talent files. I was immediately back to 100+ fps.
Slobb11
Mad Mofo Extraordinaire
The maddest in mofos since 1982