Pc Issues - "H/W monitor status Abnormal"

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
Obsc3ne

Pc Issues - "H/W monitor status Abnormal"

Post by Obsc3ne » Wed May 26, 2010 11:33 am

Been having some PC issues lately, seems to have come to a head when now i get

"H/W monitor status abnormal ; please enter the setup tp check voltage, fan speed or temp status's"

In the Bios i get:

"Q-Fan controller [enabled]
Vcore voltage [1.07v] - In red
3.3 voltage [3.3v]
5 voltage [4.97v]
12 voltage [12.02v]

Cpu Temp 83 C
M/B temp 34 C
cpu fan speed 2083
Chassis fan speed 0

Cpu Fan speed warning [600rpm]
Start up temp C [32 c]
Full speed temp [56 C]
start up pwm [60]
Slope PWM [4pwm/C]"

Additional Information:

I can post up all the info I want, but I don't know what's going on (except the pcu is hella hot), done a bit of research on the web, but a few different answers around the place doesn't help things

Any help much appreciated :)

slobb11

Re: Pc Issues - "H/W monitor status Abnormal"

Post by slobb11 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:46 pm

I'm not guru enough to help from afar sorry man, hopefully someone else can sort you.
Here's my thinking out loud though....

This COULD explain the lockups you've been having recently....
CPU overheats, so Northbridge fails, which takes out memory and PCIe.
The low Vcore will be due to the high temperatures so that's the root of all the problems.

Have you checked the cooling system recently?
The CPU fan appears to be operating fine, but is there a crapload of cat fur caking the heatsink, or on the underside of the fan? (not talking from experience here *cough*)

And just to check...
You haven't recently gone and "improved your cooling" by putting heaps of thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink have you? That's a sure-fire way to almost completely insulate your heatsink from the CPU and cause massive overheating.
It's a common misconception that thermal paste is a good conductor of heat...but in fact it's far less effective than the metal of the heatsink. Its purpose is purely to fill in any airgaps that may form between the two surfaces, as air is one of the best heat insulators in the world. There should be VERY LITTLE thermal paste visible...just the finest coating on the two surfaces.
Incidentally...don't seperate the heatsink and CPU to check...just take a look around the edges.

TL;DR
Slobb11
Mad Mofo Extraordinaire
The maddest in mofos since 1982

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Wed May 26, 2010 12:53 pm

Heat Sink & fan etc are cleaned now.

Clean the CPU frequently as i live in a quite dusty place, cleaned out the chassis fan properly this morning to make sure but no change

No increased thermal paste ;)

Seems strange, never ever run anywhere near this hot before.... damned if i know.......... even had a couple of reading of -25c........... :rolleyes:

Although when not under load the cpu does drop in temp very quickly....... but open anything and she's up around 90 C again

slobb11

Post by slobb11 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Obsc3ne wrote:Although when not under load the cpu does drop in temp very quickly....... but open anything and she's up around 90 C again
Hmmm....that does kinda imply that it's a cooling issue as opposed to a heating issue. But with temps of 100C any cooling problem would have to be pretty bloody obvious!
I've never heard of a CPU "dying" so to speak.
I've heard of them failing...from running fine, to not running at all....but I've never heard of this slow dying process.
Anyone else heard of that happening?
Slobb11
Mad Mofo Extraordinaire

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Wed May 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Do you have a mounted fan on the side of your case like this... (the blue one on the side)

http://www.sunbeamtech.com/images/produ ... case-2.jpg

So all hot air made from the cpu is sucked through the fan and out of the case? Overwise it will be taking the heat away from the cpu, but it's still inside the case which will be making everything a lot hotter! If you have got a fan there, is it operating? Is it up to enough RPM's? A mate's cpu kept locking up his computer and mkaing it very laggy until he got a fan isntalled here which dramatically increased overall performance. ;)
My Abilities are Only Limited by Those who try to Test Them
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed May 26, 2010 2:30 pm

THat could be the problem harding, but from my understanding its only just started happening, if that was the case I would have imagined it would of always been a problem.

Id say its PSU or like I suggested to ya Ob on Xfire a Thermal Paste or CPU dieing problem.

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Wed May 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Interesting note, just left my pc off for a while, started it. Went straight into BIOS, cpu was ~60 degrees, jumped all the way to ~85 within 60 seconds............... o_O

Voltage is fine until the heat hits, so might not be the PSU?

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Wed May 26, 2010 3:34 pm

She's all better now

1 clip on the heat-sink was slightly loose, hence the contact with the cpu would've been crap at best

slobb11

Post by slobb11 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:06 pm

The contents of this post were removed by the author as he felt they were a little inappropriate for a public forum.
Slobb11
Mad Mofo Extraordinaire

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Wed May 26, 2010 7:12 pm

Heh, loose heatsink was going to be my guess..

I would advise some new thermal paste if you didn't already, whenever the heatsink comes off its time for new paste so you don't end up with air bubbles.

And like Slobb says, just a thin even coating is all you need :)

Whenever you move the heatsink, jump straight in the bios and check the temp, should start off at about 25deg, and definitely not past 40 when not under load.

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Wed May 26, 2010 7:47 pm

Yeah new thermal paste has been applied, was actually going to put a new coat on when I noticed it wasn't on properly ;)