Any one know a good Graphics card

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
Trooper

Any one know a good Graphics card

Post by Trooper » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:18 pm

cause i need to upgrade from the geforce 2 :eek:
i have a pentium 4 2.2 cpu and 1 gig of memory
any ideas ? :)
comments welcome...
"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
- Bruce McLaren

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:04 pm

Comes down to your budget + what Mobo you got (as in AGP)

Trooper

Post by Trooper » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:27 pm

my mobo AGP slot is a AGP pro slot . i want a decent graphics card to run all the latest games. my budget is around $100-$500.
any opinions? :)
"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
- Bruce McLaren

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:36 pm

6600GT would be the way to go (my 2c) till you look at PCIe further down the track

http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_5041.html

mid to high $200 but is about the best you can get for AGP in that range

Will run all the latest games but obviously with a few options slid down a tad as things are starting to get rather taxing (FEAR anyone) depending on the resolution your playing the games at

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:56 am

This is the card Aaron has Patrick and he plays all the latest games on his.

Radeon 9800 Pro on TradeMe
Inspector

---

Trooper

Post by Trooper » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:58 am

i think i will look into it...
- Bruce McLaren

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:00 am

This one is not too bad as well.

ATI RADEON 9800XT on TradeMe
Inspector

---

Trooper

Post by Trooper » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:03 am

are there any major differences between the two game wise?
- Bruce McLaren

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 am

A fair bit more expensive but probably one of the best AGP cards left available.

GE-CUBE X800PRO256-VIVO 256mb AGP on TradeMe
Inspector

---

Trooper

Post by Trooper » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:30 am

i think i will go with the ATI RADEON 9800XT AGP x8 as it seems the best bet for me . thanks Inspector you have been a lot of help :)
- Bruce McLaren

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:34 am

The price pretty well compares to the performance and sometimes reliability factor. So in the case of most cards the better brand and higher rated card will be best to buy but always dearer than the run of the mill cards.

You need to decide if you are are going to upgrade your motherboard and CPU etc soon, and if that is the case buy the cheaper one to get yourself through till then. If it is going to be a while, buy the best card you can afford and you have more chance of still being able to play the latest games as they are released until you can afford to upgrade to a PCI-E motherboard etc.
Inspector

---

Trooper

Post by Trooper » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:37 am

all my pc needs is a new graphics card as the rest is all pretty good and there wont be a another upgrade for a while unless i really need something. I think i will get 2 new hd's in the near future but that will be it for a while anyway.
cheers :)
- Bruce McLaren

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:01 pm

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/ ... games.html

good comparision article with the conclusion comparing the XT and the GT directly so well worth a read, have a look and compare what games you play most often (has a good selection)

Also if you look to trademe for buying the card have a think about backup support as well, buying a card off a backyard dealer might have issues if in 6 months you need to get issues with the card sorted out, sometimes the cheaper option is not always the best

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:51 pm

I've put a bid on that card Patrick but am also looking at other options for prices for 9800's and 6600GT and similar cards from VR Concepts - will let you know.
Inspector

---

Trooper

Post by Trooper » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:21 pm

thanks Inspector , will get money to you soon :)
and to jet boy for the comparison site

dont worry, got a ATI RADEON 9800pro for $200 so all is good with the world :D
- Bruce McLaren