Upgrading graphics card?

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
Rocketship

Upgrading graphics card?

Post by Rocketship » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:08 pm

Hey Guys,

I've got this kart simulation - but when i open it and am on the menu screens, and game play i have quite abit of lag.

The minimum specs for this game are:
Operating System: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7, 32 or 64 bits
Processor: 1.5 GHz
RAM: 512 MB
Video Card: 64 MB OpenGL 1.2.1-compliant
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 or newer libraries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Specs are:
Compaq Presario CQ61
Operating System: Windows 7
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Screen/monitor whatever?: Resolution at 1366 x 768. BUT, I also run rfactor on a 50" plasma HD TV, with all settings and detail on full so I can't realy see the problem there?

Any idea why this is happening? Im not very computer literate, so i'm not exzactly sure on what it is. Although, I have a feeling it is the graphics card? Im on a Compaq Presario laptop - which is why the graphics card is probly unheard of to most of you running your big flash toys :P . Laptop is completely 'stock standard' . Its how I bought it.

Under the minimum spec's its says
Video Card: 64 MB OpenGL 1.2.1-compliant
What does this mean? Only thing which I 'think' I may not have.

The only other thing I can think of as to why it is lagy is that it is a beta version. It has been not long realeased - The guy basically wants feedback. I remember the NFS World? beta being very lagy because it was a beta. Is this possibly the case for this simulator aswell?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rocket
Last edited by Rocketship on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harding Jr

Re: Upgrading graphics card?

Post by Harding Jr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Do you run rFactor on that computer?

You're specs far surpass everything apart from the graphics thing there. But if you run rFactor on that computer you should definitely be able to run that.
My Abilities are Only Limited by Those who try to Test Them
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall

Rocketship

Post by Rocketship » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 pm

Yip, rFactor runs fine on it..Full detail and everything.

Rocketship

Post by Rocketship » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:22 am

EDIT: Added a few bits n peices in top post after reading Jetboys new thread. Not sure weather i should just move this whole thread over to his or leave it hear for now?

One little bit of reading for you, which I now think is the case with my problem..In case you missed it, I asked:

The only other thing I can think of as to why it is lagy is that it is a beta version. It has been not long realeased - The guy basically wants feedback. I remember the NFS World? beta being very lagy because it was a beta. Is this possibly the case for this simulator aswell?

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:45 am

Yea just keep it here, that thread is more about figuring out a process that people can go through to generate these kind of questions that hopefully others here can help with :)

Would agree with the beta status being the issue at the moment, if the guy wants feedback then this is probably the kind of stuff he's after, probably runs fine on his development rig and with good feedback he may be able to refine the min reqirements if its stretching the limits of what he currently believes should be the min specs. Also may just be the beta, video code not up to scratch, memory leaks all sorts of weird and wonderful bugs, have done QA for a few things over the years and its amazing how fast I can break stuff from the dev's as I attack it in a way they never anticipated :)

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:21 pm

To further insure that is the problem could you post a link up here to the download man. I could have a try and see how it goes for my computer _b .
My Abilities are Only Limited by Those who try to Test Them
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall

Rocketship

Post by Rocketship » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:37 pm

http://www.kartracing-pro.com/?page=downloads _b
It's 366mb though.

I downloaded mirror 1.

After abit of playing around this morning, I found that having the driving view set to outside (like your chasing the kart) had very very little (if any at all) lag, while jumping in the seat (like a cockpit view) brings alot of lag, and bassicaly unbearable to drive with.

Also for me, racing in the wet has alot of lag, both inside and outside views.

I downloaded this Intel(R) updater for drivers thing... It showed that my graphics/video card was out of date or whatever - I'm guessing the latest drivers will be on the Intel page. Might have a looksie later - but will most likely come back here for comfirmation that it is the right driver for me :noob:

Bull, (or anyone for that matter)would proberly realy like this game. It makes the rFactor karts feel very much like an arcade game. Very realistic simulator _b

Rocketship

Post by Rocketship » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Ok, i got this reply from one of the members from the game's forum.
You're running the game on an integrated graphics chip on your motherboard. That is mainly why your game performance is so slow and choppy. Consider buying a separate graphics card which utilizes your PCI Express slot in your computer. http://game.amd.com

Additionally, you are running an old processor, one that isn't nearly as good as the current line of processors. I have found KRP to be very taxing on the system, I'm not sure if its the graphics engine or the physics which are creating a bottleneck, but it certainly is more taxing on your system than rFactor or Iracing from what I have seen.
Processor is old? hmmm. Bought the laptop in march this year. As a brand new package, from Bond & Bond. O_o And, i didnt no you could put bigger, better gear (like processors and graphics cards) into a laptop?
Last edited by Rocketship on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bull

Post by Bull » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:42 pm

KSR Rocketship wrote:Ok, i got this reply from one of the members from the game's forum.
You're running the game on an integrated graphics chip on your motherboard. That is mainly why your game performance is so slow and choppy. Consider buying a separate graphics card which utilizes your PCI Express slot in your computer. http://game.amd.com

Additionally, you are running an old processor, one that isn't nearly as good as the current line of processors. I have found KRP to be very taxing on the system, I'm not sure if its the graphics engine or the physics which are creating a bottleneck, but it certainly is more taxing on your system than rFactor or Iracing from what I have seen.
Processor is old? hmmm. Bought the laptop in march this year. O_o And, i didnt no you could put bigger, better gear (like processors and graphics cards) into a laptop?
Na, generally you can't.

But why on earth did you get a laptop for gaming on? Its like the first thing you learn not to do! lol

Rocketship

Post by Rocketship » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:43 pm

Lol. Because my intentions were not for racing on. When i found that rf ran sweet as on it I decided to do another season of KSS. :larf: