HELP computer freezing up

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
callum91

HELP computer freezing up

Post by callum91 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:14 pm

My computer has never done this before as im playing on rfactor ill get through half a lap of a track and then it starts to lag really badly until it freezes this happens online and offline. Ive also tried cod4 and am getting the same problems. Someone suggested a CPU usage problem.
Can Anyone help?

Riftcreator

Re: HELP computer freezing up

Post by Riftcreator » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Might sound silly, but an old pc I had did the same thing, I took it in and had it cleaned out (Heatsinks were completely full of dust) and it ran perfectly after that, and ran cooler.

I also had them clean out any spyware etc.

callum91

Post by callum91 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:24 am

could the problem be that something in my computer is running to hot cos it rfactor runs fine at first and then slows down as something in the computer gets hot dont know what it is though. Ive got a HP Pavillion dv7 Notebook PC with Vista any ideas on how i could fix this

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Have you cleaned the dust out of the inside of you're computer as Rifty has recommended? The dust would act like a big blanket over components meaning they can get hotter a lot faster.
My Abilities are Only Limited by Those who try to Test Them
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall

callum91

Post by callum91 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:13 pm

thats what i think i need to do cos i just tried with a big icepack wrapped up in a teatowel so it doesnt get wet and it works fine so i need to clean it out but apparently the design by hp is useless aswell so may need to get one of those laptop fans thanks for the help guys

Rasmo

Post by Rasmo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:30 pm

The fact it is a laptop probably doesn't help with the cooling aspect either. Most aren't really designed for gaming and high load applications.
Image Image

callum91

Post by callum91 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:20 pm

yea but apparently this is HPs gaming laptop and i havent had troubles with it but i think the weather is so hot that its not helping and im using it alot more now that schools finished

Pitbull

Post by Pitbull » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:30 pm

There's your problem it's an HP lol, hope you get it sorted, like others have said could well be a heating issue being a laptop etc

Could even try a cooler desk, which is something your laptop sits on and it has fans blowing into the bottom of the laptop etc ?

Terminator-141d

Post by Terminator-141d » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:20 am

just looking thru the junk mail dse are selling cooling fan thingys for laptops over here so i take it they will have them in nz aswell
maybe see what they are like they are pretty cheap
-----Edwards Racecars-----
:cflag: 94d Otago Cougars Captain 2010 :cflag:
:cflag: 77w KSS Club Championship 2010 :cflag:

JadeShark

Post by JadeShark » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:37 pm

callum91 wrote:... i just tried with a big icepack wrapped up in a teatowel so it doesnt get wet and it works fine .......
Watch on doing that, unless it's well ventilated,, as it produces heat you can actually make it worse by keeping the heat in

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:46 am

Only a professional should fiddle with the innards of a laptop..so don't go there.

Get a cooling pad from dick smiths or noel lemmings, about 30 to 40 bucks, runs off a usb port, especially good for badly designed laptops where the vents are underneath rather than side mounted, as in a Sony Vaio.

My youngest daughters Acer overheats all the time without the cooling pad...

The only water that should be near a laptop is the contents of the virtual fishtank screensaver.

Other than that its either a h/w fault (good luck) or software in which case back up your key data and rebuild it from the system discs ie reckon.

Failing that, work a street corner for a couple of weeks, before school starts again and get a ruddy proper PC :ffs: :D
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Growler

Post by Growler » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:48 am

Sulley wrote:Failing that, work a street corner for a couple of weeks, before school starts again and get a ruddy proper PC :ffs: :D
Better to stand at a roundabout...more roads! :larf:

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Growler wrote:
Sulley wrote:Failing that, work a street corner for a couple of weeks, before school starts again and get a ruddy proper PC :ffs: :D
Better to stand at a roundabout...more roads! :larf:
Didn't know they had roundabouts on K road Growler :D
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"