PC Troubles

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
Bull

PC Troubles

Post by Bull » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:59 pm

So I'm having troubles.

My PC loses its video signal. I've tried the obvious, different monitor and cable, still no go.

Most of the time it'll either boot with no signal, or work fine all night. I've only had it drop out once after starting fine so far, and that was only a minute or two after booting.

I've noticed when it does it the two fans on the graphics card attempt to spin, like do a half spin then stop and keep doing that over n over. I'm not too sure where to go from here, whether it's video card, power supply or mobo. Unfortunately I don't have spare either of them.

I have cleaned dust etc out but it'll do it from stone cold, so I doubt it's a heating issue. I've removed and cleaned the card and refitted, and also tried one of the other PSU plugs for the video card, same result.

Where do I go from here as far as testing which component is faulty?

Mike

Re: PC Troubles

Post by Mike » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:12 pm

I don't think the temperatures should get hot enough on desktop to cause the card to shut off even without fans, still it'd be worth checking the temps since the fans don't start when it crashes. Download GPU-Z and take a look at the monitoring, see if anything crazy happens: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ (Also check out the voltages on the 12V rail, that powers the fans, so if it's too low that may be why they're not starting up).

You could also check that the GPU fans are actually plugged in properly, you may need to remove the shroud on the GPU to check.

You could try another PCI-e slot too, if you have one.

Bull

Post by Bull » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:55 pm

After testing I took a bit of a stab and on a guesstimation have put a new Graphics card in (Thank Christ for a PBTech sale this weekend!)

So far so good. Hopefully if I have no crashes by Tuesday Ill be all set :D

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:18 pm

I have the same issue, playing games fine and then "video signal lost" on the screen, and within a few seconds the PC hard locks. I know it's GPU related, but going to claim the whole PC is naffed to the wife ;p ;p

Bull

Post by Bull » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:39 pm

PC has been fine for me all night, so looking positive!

The fault I had was that it would either work or not at all. But I watched with the case off and found the GPU simply wasnt firing up when it wasn't working. Either a PSU fault or the GPU... Multimeter showed PSU seemed to be operating fine, so out came the 960 and in went the GTX970!

Very nearly bought a 24" LG Monitor while I was there for $199... bloody PB Tech and their deals, I had no cash left!

Growler

Post by Growler » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm

Those similar issues I have had in the past have all been motherboard related. Just a thought.