Fastest PC in the World, and it's an INTEL

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:43 pm

nah purchased on eBay, but it is new. Wholesale in NZ is about $1150.00.
You can't get them anymore over here from what i'm told. They went out of production soon after the arc. ;) That's why they are so expensive now, there collectors items. Kinda like the last steam engine. hehe
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:52 pm

LOL! :rofl:

Such an apt analogy (thinks of an Intel chip blowing off large clouds of steam).

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:55 pm

The last CPU I bought was an Intel Pentium II 350.

Beeyoodeefool!

;p
Don't make me destroy you.

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:40 pm

Looks like the pendulum is about to swing again.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:03 pm

It dont matter to me if Intel are faster , what matters is price and bang for buck, which intel dont have, if they were priced lower for most gamers intel would have better sales.

Dell are intel only for there pc's but they even say they will move to amd also soon.

And inspector is right its all down to GPU these days not CPU, put a average CPU in a machine with a fast video card and its good gaming , put a slow card in a fast CPU and gaming turns to poo.

And end of the day we build our machines for gaming and we want fast gaming at that.

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:24 pm

Mattly wrote:Bazzil you might want to factor in that Intel were here first. For a new company to show and tell the original company what standard to use is far bigger a blox in my opinion.

I might also point out that even though the AMD 3200+ is a bigger number than P4 3.0, the P4 is a much grunter gaming chip. ;p
that's like saying everything should be the way microsoft want it. If that was the case then we wouldn't have any development standards now because microsoft change theirs like the weather changes, you would find that with no standards Mr Mattly that when you upgrade your machine next time you would be buying every single part new every time - as you can see, standards are a good idea, which means measuring chips by IPC would be far better than Intels banger way ;p

The EE chips are very good intel chips, but they are only any good because they are loaded with cache and cost a bomb digidy as liquid points out =].

How many microsoft developers does it take to change a lightbulb?
- None, they just declare darkness as a standard
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:33 pm

Toms Hardware did a great article on how low you could go with your CPU in a gaming rig before your gaming suffered (emphasising how much work the GPU does).

Interestingly, you could go quite low (Athlon2400+ from memory) before your gaming started showing effects.
Of course, that's only graphical applications so normal day-to-day stuff still benefits from the faster CPUs.

:)

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:40 pm

Mattly wrote:Looks like the pendulum is about to swing again.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713
yer their new lineup looks good.

but LOL at the first paragraph in that article:
Intel is very excited about their new Core architecture, especially with Conroe on the desktop. It's not really news to anyone that Intel hasn't had the desktop performance crown for years now; their Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors run hotter and offer competitive or lower performance than their AMD competitors.
Boom Boom !

Metla

Post by Metla » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:01 pm

Liquid is the only one to grasp the real factor and his posts are being ignored, The chips should be rated on price bracket, comapre chips in the $200 to $300 (NZ market please) range against each other and ignore the clock speeds and performance ratings.

You can get a dirt cheap AMD that will outperform a P4EE chip that goes for a sum closer to a house deposit.

And I have seen in the past where people have reported high failure rates with AMD, That would set off a few alarms for me, I would be asking the question of whats happening in the assembly process or system configuration to be causing the issue, By my count I have assembled and retailed just over 200 systems using various AMD chips over the last 3 years and haven't had a single unit require the cpu be replaced.

My Asus laptop running the Athlon 2800 is still cranking along just fine as well.....

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:07 pm

Good on ya M8 _b
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:54 am

Riven wrote:That benchmark was run on windows x32 not x64, so its all using 32bit instructions... even the P4 D (dual core 32bit) is miles down the list.

Lol, maybe one day Intel will produce a 64bit processor for desktops that works, doesnt cost an arm and a leg, needs a nuclear reactor to power it, and the entire antarctic to cool it ;p
Riven, the Intel Dual Core is not a 64bit CPU, so compare apple with apples please.

Intel have been making 64bit CPU's for the past 7-8 years, just not at the desktop level.

Intel have already stated the x386 technology should be killed off, as it's 10 years out of date, but Microsoft don't want to make the change.
Thanks to technology we could make a CPU 4-5 times faster, but no, we are limited to the x386 standard.

BTW your mighty AMD on has a 17% market share as of 28th Feb, need I say more?

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:00 am

Riven & Noon, how many AMD Servers do you have at Inspire?

All you guys are comparing game stats, I use my computer for more than that. Video, Audio, Desktop, Intel Generally mows.

To be honest, Intel doesn't really cares about gamers I don't think, and they have good reason not too, it's such a small market, gamers are the best at having a Big Cry, and they have the tendency to play with things, and blew them up.

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:23 am

Typhoon wrote:BTW your mighty AMD on has a 17% market share as of 28th Feb, need I say more?
So by that argument:
- Microsoft Windows is superior to Linux
- IE5 & 6 is superior to Firefox
- Ford/Honda/Toyota/etc must make much better quality cars than Mercedes/BMW/Ferrari/etc
- MacDonalds food is far superior to any other restaurants
- Xtra must sell better internet connections than everyone else...

Greater marketshare does not automatically assign products as superior. ;p

Oh and the fact that Intel's latest chip does better in gaming than it does in office apps in the prelimary tests, says that Intel is changing focus. :p

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:45 am

Actually Noon the if you rate cars by reliability then I would have to say that Jap cars are superior to European. ;)
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Scrunty

Post by Scrunty » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:25 pm

Mattly wrote:Riven read the post properly first dear. :rolleyes:

I said the AMD 3200+ , not the AMD64 3200+. The reason is obvious that it would be unfair to compair a 32bit processor with a 64bit processor. ;)
Actually Mattly, its not unfair in the slightest given the fact that they are probably using a 32bit operating system (most people buy an Athlon 64 for its 32bit processing speed coupled with the fact they are 64bit ready)
And you should have been more specific instead of saying "AMD 3200+" you should have said "Athlon-XP 3200+" or "AMD AXP 3200+"

[edit- ahh shit way to not see the second page and quote old stuff >_<]
Halo Racing

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:42 pm

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/03/08 ... amd_intel/

muahhaahah

seems nVidia know what to use when going to an Intel sponsored event to show off a gaming machine

Metla

Post by Metla » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:19 pm

Saying Intel doesn't care about sales to gamers is a bizarre statement, The majority of people driving high end sales are gamers, and the EE chip was produced at great expense for the single reason of competing against AMD in the area of gaming.

If you restrict your comparison of an AMD 64 3200 to a 3.2 P4 to encoding, Sure the P4 will pull ahead, but when this is compared on price, The AMD will be better, a $500 AMD cpu will outperform a $500 P4 at pretty much everything.

Besides that, Nvidia sold millions upon millions of graphics cards last year, enough to make all pontential sales of console chips look like a pittance, No one in there right mind would ignore a market so large for no reason, Intel simply can't make a comparable product. Having said that, In the short term they don't need to, They dominate the market.

Anyhow, If you purchase a killer gaming rig, then the system will excel at everything, Encoding, real time video editing, Photo-manipulation, Whatever you can throw at the system.

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:16 pm

Typhoon wrote: BTW your mighty AMD on has a 17% market share as of 28th Feb, need I say more?
Yah, all the intel lovers had to keep re-buying their chips until they got ones that didn't overheat

;p
Boom Boom !

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:00 am

LOL

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:43 am

Aparently Intel still can't build a cpu that doesn't overheat... now they are bringing out their own water cooling kit ;p

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:36 am

Where's Snake Rogers when I need him?

wah wah wah
;p
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:59 am

You lot need to become platform-agnostic. You'll all lead calmer, more productive lives.

:)
Don't make me destroy you.

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:35 pm

Skuzzlebutt wrote:platform-agnostic.
:eek: o_O 8o :crazy: :spin: :no:
Boom Boom !

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:59 pm

Noon416 wrote:
Typhoon wrote:BTW your mighty AMD on has a 17% market share as of 28th Feb, need I say more?
So by that argument:
- Microsoft Windows is superior to Linux
- IE5 & 6 is superior to Firefox
- Ford/Honda/Toyota/etc must make much better quality cars than Mercedes/BMW/Ferrari/etc
LOL, Honda, Toyota and Nissan make the highest quality, most reliable cars in the World. If you have seen any Top Gears lately, they have talked about the crap quality of Merc and BMW, and even though I love Ferrari, I would only drive one 1/2 the year, cause the other 1/2 of the year it would be getting repaired. (Ask Mattly about that one)

You're comparison to Mac'ers vs a typical Resturant is poor as they cater for different makets, one is fastfood, the other isn't, it's like comparing a Desktop CPU to a Mobile Phone CPU.
Windows is better than Linux, so I don't know why you brought that one up. Install Linux on your PC, and we will see you in Nascar on Wednesday ;p

Also remember, market share is based on total sales vs units, Intel provide CPU's for PDA's, Smart Phones, and don't forget, they make the best Laptop CPU's. Top Centrino's can get upto 8 hours of battery life. The only thing your lucky to get with an AMD Laptop CPU is a blue screen.
Last edited by Typhoon on Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:05 pm

BAZZIL wrote:
Typhoon wrote: BTW your mighty AMD on has a 17% market share as of 28th Feb, need I say more?
Yah, all the intel lovers had to keep re-buying their chips until they got ones that didn't overheat

;p
Intels run hot Bazz, but they don't overheat.
Perfect example was done a few years ago, they removed a heatsink off a Intel during a benchmark, the thermal overload kicked in and slowed the CPU down so the benchmark still worked, but very slowly.
They then repeated the test with an AMD, result, CRASH, SMOKE, 5cent size hole burnt into CPU.

That test was performed by Toms Hardware, I'm sure you will find it on there website.