DivX Help ?

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
rob_c

DivX Help ?

Post by rob_c » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:03 pm

Can anyone help me to get this working ?

I've downlaoded a few "Red vs Blue" clips . . . I'd heard about them for ages, but never actually seen one . . . very clever and funny.

The more recent ones are ".wmv" files, and they are fine, but the earlier ones are ".avi" . . . but are actually DivX ?.

Anyway . . . I've downloaded DivX and installed it, but all I get now (and all I got before) is the soundtrack but no video.

I usually use MS Media Player for viewing video clips . . . and I've also just downloaded Winamp . . . but the same thing happens in both.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

rob_c

Post by rob_c » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:24 pm

All I had to do was get the most recent version of the codec at :

http://www.divx.com/

All works fine now. :D

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:58 am

The thing to remember is that it's not the file format that counts - avi, mpg, wmv, etc - but what software is used to encode (create) the video.

It's possible to have a DiVX encoded wmv (windows media video) which can play in a divx player, or in Windows media player v10 or v9. It usually wouldn't play in a v8 player. That file would be quite different from a mpg file using Windows video codecs.

It's a hassle that there are so many different encoders types out there, creating confusion for people yet all staying with a similar format !
YouTube videos

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:20 pm

The Codec that I trust the most is called K-Lite.

It's small, installs with the original Media Player which is bulletproof, and I've yet to find a Vid that it won't play. Much better than the DivX pack overall

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:21 am

K-lite is a large codec pack that includes several divx versions. It's not better than DivX. It just puts all the divx versions ad a whole lot more codecs together in one package.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:25 pm

Eagle32 wrote:K-lite is a large codec pack that includes several divx versions. It's not better than DivX. It just puts all the divx versions ad a whole lot more codecs together in one package.
Well my K-lite packis 2.2MB for just codecs.
I have many videos that the DivX codec won't play, but K-lite does

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:51 pm

Typhoon wrote:Well my K-lite packis 2.2MB for just codecs.
I have many videos that the DivX codec won't play, but K-lite does
That's my point. K-lite is a codec pack (a collection of many codecs). Not a codec. It includes the current and several prior versions of the DivX codec as well as various other codecs.When you play a video your player uses the appropriate codec to decode the video. Obviously if you have a whole lot of codecs (like the large number tha are part of the k-lite pack) you can play videos that use any of the codecs in the pack.

I meant "large" as in "large numer of codecs" not "large file size" :p

Is the plural of "codec" codecs or codices or something else? :p
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Monza

Post by Monza » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:31 pm

I've herd some bad stuff about Klite codec pack, I find this one works well.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:38 am

i've not ever had any issues with the K-Lite codec pack. I have the larger install which allows encoding aswell for almost all the codecs it has, aswell as a few player programs.

If you really dont like codec packs, then the best player is VideoLAN (google) it doesnt need the codecs, as i believe it has them all built in, and so you dont have to install any.