Can use your broadband account at another house

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
juliant

Can use your broadband account at another house

Post by juliant » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:26 am

Recent trip to Gisborne to visit the folks had me frustrated using their dial up internet. Got me to wondering if it possible to use my Xtra ADSL account from their place.

1) Does Telecom allow a telephone line at a house to be ADSL activated without actually creating an account?

2) If so, on the basis that they are using the same OS (XP) and have onboard ethernet on their PC, could I just take my external ADSL modem/router up and hook it up to their PC and set up my account and log in from there?

3) Failing that if I take my both my PC and modem/router up there will it work

4) Another option - I have a surplus internal ADSL modem - could I install that in their PC and set that up with my log-in to use when I am up there (and for that matter the rest of the family log-in with their broadband accounts when visiting also?)

I read something about the account registering the MAC address of the modem - so maybe it would only work if I take my external modem/router with me - or maybe it just wont work at all?

I appreciate it may also be a case of what can be done technically and what is actually allowable under terms and conditions...ie not sharing a internet account. I certainly know people that in the past have shared their dialup accounts, particularly where one is home during the day and the other is not

Riven
Server Guru

Re: Can use your broadband account at another house

Post by Riven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:06 am

juliant wrote: 1) Does Telecom allow a telephone line at a house to be ADSL activated without actually creating an account?
No

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:07 am

I think the short answer is no to all the options above.
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

juliant

Post by juliant » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:30 am

OK - so if someone was for example renting a place, and had a broadband account, and then moved premises, would the original place still be adsl enabled, or would this be deactivated when they move...

juliant

Post by juliant » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:46 am

One other clarification - if someone with have their own adsl account at their house, has visitors, can the visitors log-on using their broadband account rather than the hosts.

1) From the same PC

2) If they bring their PC and/or modem/router with them

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:53 am

juliant wrote:OK - so if someone was for example renting a place, and had a broadband account, and then moved premises, would the original place still be adsl enabled, or would this be deactivated when they move...
It gets deactivated

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:54 am

juliant wrote:One other clarification - if someone with have their own adsl account at their house, has visitors, can the visitors log-on using their broadband account rather than the hosts.

1) From the same PC

Only if the visitors and the place they are visiting both use the same ISP.
Otherwise no

juliant

Post by juliant » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:09 pm

Thanks, at the risk of trying your patience - more questions :-)

(Reason being if I did talk my parents into broadband it would only be the basic $30 a month plan which has very limited monthly allowance so I wouldnt want to use all theirs up. Tried googling this stuff but couldnt get a definitive answer)

Could I log-in from their PC to my broadband account - how do you do this when its "always on" or would I need to take my modem/router up. ( I cant see in Internet Options in Control Panel where you can add an account aside from a dialup and virtual private network...)

juliant

Post by juliant » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:12 pm

Actually looks like if you choose setup in the connections options you can specify an ADSL account that requires username and password so I guess that would be where to do it...

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:56 pm

juliant wrote:One other clarification - if someone with have their own adsl account at their house, has visitors, can the visitors log-on using their broadband account rather than the hosts.

1) From the same PC

Ive tried this and no, it doesn't work, even with the same ISP.
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:02 pm

Flyboy69 wrote:

1) From the same PC

Ive tried this and no, it doesn't work, even with the same ISP.
Then you suck ;p

It is very possible.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:03 pm

juliant wrote:Thanks, at the risk of trying your patience - more questions :-)

(Reason being if I did talk my parents into broadband it would only be the basic $30 a month plan which has very limited monthly allowance so I wouldnt want to use all theirs up. Tried googling this stuff but couldnt get a definitive answer)

Could I log-in from their PC to my broadband account - how do you do this when its "always on" or would I need to take my modem/router up. ( I cant see in Internet Options in Control Panel where you can add an account aside from a dialup and virtual private network...)
Easiest solution would be to just take your external router.