Restarting my computer problem.

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
*WOFTAM*

Restarting my computer problem.

Post by *WOFTAM* » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:55 pm

It has come to a time were i need to restart/reboot (what every name you my use) my computer completely like just buying a new computer.
and i need a little help.

My computer is a ASUS K8V-MX.
It is WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION.

Now im pretty sure i can restart/reboot it by using my Windows Xp Home Edition cd that came with the computer and go into its BIO'S settings.

Im sure i put that CD in then restart my computer then on start up i push delete (it may be different on other computers) to get to my BIO'S settings stuff.
I found this site to help me through it.
http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/i ... format.htm

1. First, make sure that your computer is set to Boot to CD. This is a different procedure depending on your computer. When your computer first boots look for an option to enter the BIOS settings. Under the BIOS settings find the "Boot Order" and make sure the CD-ROM is set to boot first.

The writing in bold red colour is what i cannot do.
It does not guide me on how or were to do it.
So i tryed looking for it but can't find it to change that setting(s).

Any help on trying to find that?
Please help.
Much appreciated.

Thanks alot.
WF racing.

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:26 pm

It is quite clear from what you have typed that you have no idea what is involved in reinstalling Windows on your PC and I highly recommend you find someone who knows what they are doing to assist or do it for you or otherwise pay someone to do it otherwise this is going to end in tears.
Inspector

---

*WOFTAM*

Post by *WOFTAM* » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:37 pm

Inspector wrote:It is quite clear from what you have typed that you have no idea what is involved in reinstalling Windows on your PC and I highly recommend you find someone who knows what they are doing to assist or do it for you or otherwise pay someone to do it otherwise this is going to end in tears.
lol nah i don't i just sort of did some random search on google to ask how to restart computer etc.. then this BIOS settings came up alot and thought maybe you brainy lots could help me out.

Thanks anyways.
do you have any idea about how much it would cost if i took it to dick smith were i got it from or any computer store??

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:15 pm

Just whatever the hourly rate shops charge. Some are $150 per hour, some not. You'd have a better chance at going to a computer shop rather than Dick Smith (who will probably send it away anyway).

But why do you feel the need for the reinstall ? Unless you've been manually removing things at random, or have had the computer since 1998 with a huge amount of things being installed and uninstalled, chances are a re-install is more hassle than it's worth.

You've got to back up all your settings, bookmarks, emails, any pictures, movies or music you want to keep, drivers for video, sound, joystick, and 10 million other things.
YouTube videos

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:59 pm

That'd be 10 million and one, Prom. There's always something you forget and if it happens to be the wife's PC then the one thing you forget was the most important thing... ;p

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:07 am

The Bios bit you are talking about is simply setting your CD Drive to boot off the CD so you can begin installing windows. As Inspector says - find someone who knows how to do a proper job. If you can't work out how to boot ya computer from your CD drive then you'll be well stumped on the rest :)
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

*WOFTAM*

Post by *WOFTAM* » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:09 pm

ohk thanks for help guys.

*WOFTAM*

Post by *WOFTAM* » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:24 pm

I don't know if this is a reasonable price to restart a computer.
but my mum rang up a computer store and they said $160 lol.

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:36 pm

any computer store will be about that price - in fact that price is as good as any for a re-install from a computer store.

That's why u really need to find a mate who is able to sort it out if possible
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:31 pm

*WOFTAM* wrote:I don't know if this is a reasonable price to restart a computer.
Why the need to re-install anyway ?

What have you been doing with it ? Dodgy sites ? Pirate games of torrents ?? Or ???
YouTube videos

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:28 am

Prometheus wrote:
*WOFTAM* wrote:I don't know if this is a reasonable price to restart a computer.
Why the need to re-install anyway ?

What have you been doing with it ? Dodgy sites ? Pirate games of torrents ?? Or ???
Reinstalling Windows is a piece of cake and the best way to fix nagging problems, especially if you install and uninstall lots of apps and games regularly. You just need a system is all. A little forward planning and you can have your Windows reinstall down to a fine art and be up and running again in no time (just like when they used to bug out in M*A*S*H :D )
Don't make me destroy you.

*WOFTAM*

Post by *WOFTAM* » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:19 pm

ah its just playing up like a few virus no, not dodgy sites.
and screen has goe massive all of a sudden but that couild prolbey be fixed.

but anyway i think i need a restart as havn't done it before.

ive got a mate and him and his dads are pretty much nerds about computers and he knows how to restart it but mum doesnt really wont them to do it because im not really mates with him because we go to different schools now.

but once mum herd price she said i can take it to him she told me that last night :D

oh torrent rings a bell as 1 of the virus's i think.

well thanks again for help suggestions etc..

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:35 pm

Well here's another suggestion - unless you get decent anti virus protection and decent firewall protection and change the way you choose to surf, a re-install really isn't going to help you. Because you'll get all the nasties back again within a week.

Personally I use Nod32 for anti virus, and have had no problems.

Big screen ? Perhaps resolution has changed down to 640x480 :Puke: .
YouTube videos

Zeduck

Post by Zeduck » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:26 pm

*WOFTAM* wrote:ah its just playing up like a few virus no, not dodgy sites.
and screen has goe massive all of a sudden but that couild prolbey be fixed.

but anyway i think i need a restart as havn't done it before.

ive got a mate and him and his dads are pretty much nerds about computers and he knows how to restart it but mum doesnt really wont them to do it because im not really mates with him because we go to different schools now.

but once mum herd price she said i can take it to him she told me that last night :D

oh torrent rings a bell as 1 of the virus's i think.

well thanks again for help suggestions etc..
You think you need to? I never have to any computer i've owned nor even thought bout whatever you are wanting to do.

If you think you have viruses, use and update a virus scanner to check your computer, download something like adaware too. Then you may get rid of everything.

If your screen has gone "massive" maybe check what resolution you are running on. Or have you adjusted anything on your monitor.

No point doing something to your computer that you dont know about nor need to do :D
Zeduck - 34B Hawkeyes

*WOFTAM*

Post by *WOFTAM* » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:29 pm

ohk.

ah how do i change resolution because i never changed it.

Zeduck

Post by Zeduck » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:15 pm

Right click on your desktop
Properies
Settings Tab
Screen Resolution
Zeduck - 34B Hawkeyes

*WOFTAM*

Post by *WOFTAM* » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:00 pm

ohh yep thanks alot.

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:02 pm

if you don't have to scroll sideways for this page and if everything is not two miles apart then you don't need to change screen resolution, I would recommend removing programmes you no longer need

My Computer,
Then on the right hand side in the blue there is add or remove programmes click on that and the list will populate then highlight the programme you don't want (make sure it isn't a core programme that helps run your pc) and that will free up space on your pc
My Abilities are Only Limited by Those who try to Test Them
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall