Kick Ass Hard Drive Update

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Kick Ass Hard Drive Update

Post by Inspector » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:19 am

I was very fortunate to score a couple of kick arse SCSI Drives and a controller the other day and have this morning rebuilt my gaming PC and fitted them and reinstalled Windows. The SCSI controller is an Adaptec SCSI Raid 2120s and the drives are 2x 36gig 15,000 rev Seagates which I have raided Stripe 0.

For those who don't know about this sort of stuff I'll give you a quick description.
Basically a normal computer hard drive spins at 7,200rpm, these drives spin at 15,000rpm and are controlled by a raid controller card which plugs into your motherboard. This card has it's own RAM, in this case 64mb of it and it's own CPU. The combination of all of this is that the drives are super fast, super reliable and can move data (load game maps/tracks etc) at a sustained and fast rate. On top of all of this I have raided them in what is known as Raid 0 or striped, this means that the controller tells Windows that the two drives are now one 72gig drive and when you move data to this 72gig drive the raid controller card puts half of the data on one drive and half on the other (that's a very basic description) so the end result is that when you access stuff from your drive, for example load a race track, load a map in a game like COD4 or Quake or something like that the data comes from both the drives not one and therefore (more or less) loads twice as fast. So your combination of 15,000rpm drives raided together is (sort of) similar to having one 30,000rpm drive compared to the standard 7,200rpm hard drive most people have. Remeber this is a very basic description of how raid works and the real results are a bit different but I'm just trying to give you an idea of how it works.

So after all that all I can really say is:

:wow: :woohoo: :wow: :woohoo: :wow:

:)
Inspector

---

1073p

Re: Kick Ass Hard Drive Update

Post by 1073p » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:30 am

broodal speccy!!! you machine is massive enough as is!! 50 time more than mine... lol
Birth Place Teams champions (Gisborne - 99g) with KJ,Harding and DK

ronwestnz

Post by ronwestnz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:04 pm

I'd say he's compensating for something

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:08 am

ronwestnz wrote:I'd say he's compensating for something
What small feet ;p

Nice going Inspector ya lucky bugger _b