Power Usage

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
Jetboy

Power Usage

Post by Jetboy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:35 pm

Doing a bit of planning for an exercise later in the year with work and involves 70 odd PC's and assorted other bits and peices, so tracked down a power meter (here)so I could have a better idea of the power requirements for the buildings that we'll be in
Before taking it to work to try on the PC's there decided that I'd run it on the stuff I have here at home just to see what the results were

Plugged into the outlet are the following : 42" LCD TV, DVD Player, Yamaha mini HT Amp and Sub, PC (specs later), 30" Dell LCD, Logitech 5.1 speakers, External USB Caddy with 3.5" HD

Items on standby : 0.24A (power companines making money out of me when I'm sleeping)
PC Starting up : 1.52A
PC Running (desktop) : 1.40A
Copying files from Caddy : 1.48A
Playing CoD 4 (online) : 1.80A
Playing UT3 : 1.90A (was playing as server with 15 bots)
Playing DVD on TV : 2.45A (PC on but just at desktop, so TV etc using 1.05A)

PC Specs - Q6600, 750W Silverstone PSU, 8800GTX, 4 x 500Gb + 2 x 250Gb HD's

Interesting thing was that when we used to run LAN's we'd budget on 1.5A per machine and always thought that that would only be surge on startup...appears now that our guess was right but theres some real current being drawn when gaming...expecting to see a bit less when I try the machines at work but will post the results up when I get to that, should be a bit more reprensatitive of a run of the mill gaming machine (1 HD, 8800GT and a 20" LCD)

Going to have a bit more of a play with some of the HT stuff in the lounge with everything cranked up, be interesting to see the current draw on the Amp when its cranking