Freeview HD

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
Nodnerb

Re: Freeview HD

Post by Nodnerb » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:38 am

Prometheus wrote:Nodnerb, UHF non DVB-T will be in 4x3, so the quality will not be as good as Freeview. If you've forked out $$ for a full HD large screen TV, get Freeview. If you don't have a large screen HD tv and are just using UHF for a signal, don't buy a large screen just yet.
Took your advice Prom and held off, but the wife didn't, she went and bought it on Saturday Morning. Got a delivery of a 50"plasma just before race 1 at Hamilton :D
All I can say is "wicked" Had it plugged in via HDMI through my DVD player and the image was upscaling to something really sweet. :)
In between Race 2 and 3 yesterday went to DSE and got a freeview box. Plugged it in and everything just went up a notch again. :D

If anyone is thinking about Freeview, just do it, there are a couple of cool things that the freeview box does as well like automatic aspect ratio adjustment and 8 day TV guide. So if you need a business case to get the other half across, you can save on not buying TV guides and before long it would have paid for itself ;)

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:55 am

Yeah I think Freeview marketing has missed the boat a little, it's difficult to explain to people about the quality increase - although latest ads with people using wipers to clear their tv set is getting there.

So you've got Freeview HD or just regular ? I'm just waiting for a PVR version to be released then I'm in.
YouTube videos

Blenderer

Post by Blenderer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:23 am

Sky is also going HD on some of their channels from July 1st I believe?
If You Are In Control, You Are Not Going Fast Enough!

Ugmo

Post by Ugmo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:29 am

yeah but will need a sky HD set top box as the current one doesn't support HD from what I can recall.
Radioshack/Livestrong Racing 10gb
Team GB with Cottie, PnPete, Fangin_it and Metal666
Also the greatest driver never to win anything at KSR ever

Nodnerb

Post by Nodnerb » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:33 am

No point not going for HD as far as I was concerned. :)

I have a 250GB HDR so didn't want to wait for the PVR model, but will have a close look at them when they arrive and probably trade up to one then. Am keeping an eye out on the Topfield forums for news of when there product will be released, but nothing yet ;(

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:50 am

blenderer wrote:Sky is also going HD on some of their channels from July 1st I believe?
As mentioned, yes Sky will be going HD from July : 2 x Sports channel, 2 x movie channels. But the only way to receive it is to rent a new MySky box from them. This is higher than the current $600 rental + monthly Sky fee, and the current receiver units and MySky will not be able to pick up the HD channels. No new MySkyHD = no HD reception.

The rest of the channels will still remain heavily compressed, so when you flick from say Sport HD to Discovery, it will hurt your eyes. The level of compression of Sky channels is obscene and difficult to show folks it's :Puke:
YouTube videos

Heppy

Post by Heppy » Tue May 06, 2008 6:10 pm

Gidday guys, have just put together a FreeviewHD HTPC thanks to Skuzz and the many forums I read at geekzone, man this is no easy task, but well worth it when you get it going.
Main thing is to get a vid card that uses onboard video decoding, and the right codec for NZ HD broadcasts. Once this is done and you have the right media center software it is just awesome.
The CPU never gets above 20% even when recording a HD broadcast and watching a pre-recorded HD broadcast at the same time - on two screens DVI and HDTV Component :eek:

FYI
AMD 4200+
8500GT HDMI
1GB Ram
160GB HD
Avermedia A16D Hybrid Tuner Card
Vista Premium
Mediaportal
PowerDVD 7 Delux
AverTV 6

Need a bigger HD as 1 hour of TV3 is just under 5GB :eek:

I am also selling the above on Trademe, if anyone is interested.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =154073892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quality not Quantity