tech question re: lan

Computers, gadgets, electronics, mobiles, networking - it's all here.
panther

tech question re: lan

Post by panther » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:27 pm

Hi guys, who else to ask butt he many experts here.

I am on a cable internet modem/router.. there is one cable into my room from the router. Is it possible to plug that cable into a hub and share the connection with 2 pcs in my room?
Ultimately I would like to have an rF server and my gaming/net pc going through this single cable from the cable internet router. I fear that using just a network hub wont work as the cable is assigned an IP address (ie:198.168.1.100) from the router so 2 pcs in my room would be expected to use the ip . So i am now thinking that I would need a router or something to assign a new ip from the original IP to the 2 PCs in my room, right?
I have an ADSL router sitting doing nothing now, but I am guessing that plugging the cable from the cable net into the adsl router wont do whats required.

Does this make any sense?
sex should be like a Honda: slow obscene and loud enough for the neighbours to hear.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing.

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Re: tech question re: lan

Post by Bold » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:52 pm

Yes, you can just plug a hub into that cable, and plug 20 pc's off it if you like :)

All pc's attached will get there own ip from the main router, no sharing. Its just as if there were extra ports on the router.

Just to note, if you use an old hub/switch which has an uplink port, you need to plug the cable from the router into that. If its modern and doesn't have an uplink you can use any port.

Also, your adsl router could be used, just make sure that you first disable any 'dhcp' service that is running on it, otherwise you will probably find your internet stops working.
Last edited by Bold on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

panther

Post by panther » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:52 pm

thanks bold
sex should be like a Honda: slow obscene and loud enough for the neighbours to hear.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:54 pm

simply put...yes...... you need to make a default network... ms does this for you and is very simple....... others here at ksr would be much more help?
Admire the fur

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:26 am

I take it you are on the telsta clear cable??

do you have the modem in your room as well ??
is your computer connected directly to the modem or throught a router aleready?

panther

Post by panther » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:35 am

yes on telstra clear.
The router/modem is in my flatmates room. my pc is connected directly to the telstra supplied router/modem

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:54 am

if no other pc's are connected to the system yet only yours from the modem then you will need to get a routing switch to run the modem, a wee bit different then adsl router.

I am also on the telsta cable network and when I wanted to setup my home network I went in to get a pc global store and made sure i got the right router for cable network.
You will then need to put all you internet setup details to run the modem into the router/switch.
When setting up the server i think you will have to open up a port to in the router to let people in as well... not sure on that side of things...

I'll post pics later of my setup modem and router to see if they are the same

ip... (ie:198.168.1.100) is just your local network ip not your isp ip
Last edited by Ratman on Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:55 am

what part of town are you Panther?

panther

Post by panther » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:58 pm

that IP address i know is my local ip address assigned by the router. There are upto 4 pcs on the current LAN from the cable router
I dont have the 2nd PCfor my room built yet, just getting an idea of what to do before i do it. The other PCs already on the LAN are flatmates ones.
I have already succesfully opened ports to my current PC to be able to host rF races.

Am in Addington

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:32 pm

sweet then all you will need is a network switch to split to the 2 pc's.... the router will asign a ip fro the new one or you can set up a static local ip for the server

MadaMaoriJR

Post by MadaMaoriJR » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:48 pm

By chance is this for the RTA1320 modem?

panther

Post by panther » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:11 am

cant recall which modem/router it is that we have. whichever it is its a modem with inbuilt 4 port router, a Motorola one. Will check which model when i can get access to it, it is locked in flatmates room at present.