FSX - Our First Competition

Discussion of Flight & Sea Sims
Mattly

FSX - Our First Competition

Post by Mattly » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:04 am

Hi all you fellow flyboys.

I feel we need to get some sort of competition event organised and would like suggestions on what that competition should be. Two key issues we need to discuss are the realism settings and the type of event and course. I notice that with FSX it keeps a flight log and awards medals and points etc and I'm not sure yet what effect this could have on our competition. i.e can it be used to score?

So my first suggestions:

Glider competition that involves traveling from one airport to another which will be impossible unless you can find and use the thermals.

or

Microlites race which involves a mountain range cross over and will give the compeditors options on which way to attempt the cross over.

Please post your own ideas, keeping in mind that this will be a single test event and that some pilots will have a much lower skill level than other s and we don't want to scare them (me) off. ;p

FSX owners only please.
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Froggy

Post by Froggy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:14 am

hi there,

I'm not an FS fan but what about doing some RedBull challenges ? passing gates and stuff is pretty cool ...

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:22 am

Froggy wrote:hi there,

I'm not an FS fan but what about doing some RedBull challenges ? passing gates and stuff is pretty cool ...
Thanks for our ideas Froggy, but if you owned the game you might be aware of what limitations we are faced with within multiplayer. I dont believe we have an option for that type of event at this stage. ;)
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Skanks

Post by Skanks » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:45 am

I'd prefer Microlights myself, I can't do soaring :(

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:12 am

Is that the Skanks I think it is? :)

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:29 am

Skanks wrote:I'd prefer Microlights myself, I can't do soaring :(
Skanks if you go into your settings/display options you will find an option that alows you to see the thermals. It's a great way to start and learn how they work. Essentialls it draws rings in the sky signifying the location of the thermal and you just fly into the ring and you should find the lift. It's pretty cool actually because you learn that when you feel turbulence you are on the edge of a thermal or updraft. Try changing your graphics and see how that helps.
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Skanks

Post by Skanks » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:26 pm

Tom wrote:Is that the Skanks I think it is? :)
Yes Tom it is :) Now I've totally given up on all variations of Battlefield I have to occupy myself someway ;)

And I've tried the Tutorial on Soaring, I get those giant rings in the sky, but inside them I never seem to find any lift (well bar one time when I got so excited I had lift I forgot to turn and flew out out of the thing)

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:12 pm

actually, very good idea Mattly.
We could thermal from say PN Airport, or even from the Grass Strip in Feilding, and 1st person to get to Ohakea, or Wanganui. We could even be really dearing, and see if people can thermal over the rangers, and land in the Hawksbay.

Microlite racing would be very cool as well. Perhaps one end of Milford Sound to the other or even flying around a mountain. this will mean people would have to cut it close etc......

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 pm

Grab rFactor and come racing Skanks :)

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:45 am

After playing in the thermals last night I believe a glider race will be the best option for our first event. Location, wind direction and destination will need to discussed. I think an eta of 1hour for a completed flight would be good so we need to find two locations roughly 50-60 nautical miles apart! This will be exciting if we can get 10 plus compeditors involved. I shall ponder an appropriate prize to offer to help motivate people to enter. Perhaps VR Concepts will come to the party and help as well? :rolleyes:
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:49 am

Ok after some more testing last night we think we have the basic idea for our first competition worked out.

Competition Type Race between two airports

Plane Type Glider

Prizes TBA

Competition Rules and Info TBA

Basically we will choose a location we will fly from that will involve not only thermals, but ridge soaring to get the pilot through to the destination airport. Pilots will be launched at time intervals to ensure there is no disadvantage at the start due to slower computers or starting position placement. As to how much time between compeditors taking off, we need testing with more players to fine tune this.

More info as we sort it
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:32 pm

With all the agro in motor racing circles these days, this glider race is looking all the more appealing :)
Don't make me destroy you.

Mario-C

Post by Mario-C » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:45 pm

glider training night ? :D

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:23 pm

Skuzzlebutt wrote:With all the agro in motor racing circles these days, this glider race is looking all the more appealing :)
I'll tell ya what Skuzz, it may not sound as exciting as Nascar, but it's sure more relaxing :) Good Scenery, Good Mates, and Good Objectives.
Awesome thing is, there is always more than one way to get from point A to point B :)

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:37 pm

I'm waiting for a lotto win or approval from the boss to upgrade my current rig to play FSX ;( as I think it'll bring my 3400+ system to its knees. Hell I'm still using AGP D:

However, seeing we're going away to Europe next year, I don't think the boss would like me shelling out $$ on this. She would simply beat me, while laughing !

DO. NOT. BUY. MORE. COMPUTER. EQUIPMENT !
YouTube videos

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:43 pm

Prometheus wrote:I'm waiting for a lotto win or approval from the boss to upgrade my current rig to play FSX ;( as I think it'll bring my 3400+ system to its knees. Hell I'm still using AGP D:

However, seeing we're going away to Europe next year, I don't think the boss would like me shelling out $$ on this. She would simply beat me, while laughing !

DO. NOT. BUY. MORE. COMPUTER. EQUIPMENT !
But why spend all that money on airfares to Europe when it looks so much nicer (and cleaner) in FSX?

:cute:
Don't make me destroy you.

Mario-C

Post by Mario-C » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:02 pm

haha yes relaxing it is...makes a nice change actually

Scrunty

Post by Scrunty » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:50 pm

Until you get the master warning buzzing at you in 5.1? :larf:
Halo Racing

Viking

Post by Viking » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:15 pm

Skuzzlebutt wrote:With all the agro in motor racing circles these days, this glider race is looking all the more appealing :)
Yes no motors, just racing.
"Ooooh, Can someone please, remove these, cutleries, from my knees" - fotc
"All those who hate speeding tickets, raise your right foot"

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:38 pm

Just completed my beginners soaring lesson. I have to say I agree with everyone that the missions and tutorial are far better in FSX. In the missions there are a couple of world championship courses to compete on. :eek:

I think with enough support the racing will be just as intense. I am hopeing to persuade enough of you sacks to buy it so we can have an exciting competition. ;p

So far we have Mattly, Typhoon, Bold, HotdogNZ (cheater), Skuzz, Ron, Shanks and Mario. Thats 8 flyers, so go on you know you want to. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Mattly on Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Skanks

Post by Skanks » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:15 pm

I'll come, I'll try finish the tutorial tonight

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:06 am

Excellent two more into the list. _b
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:19 am

Mattly I cant do this untill next week, im back on day shift then.
Hotdognz