How Many Pilots Here ?

Discussion of Flight & Sea Sims
Growler

Post by Growler » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:29 pm

As an outsider here is my opinion.
I enjoy the various topics on the forums at KSR because you can get a hell of a lot of news and information.
My main interests are racing and first person shooters. However I do like looking at the other topics like flying etc. I do check all three forums for any news etc but it would be good if everything was all in one place.
Just my two cents worth.

Growler.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:44 pm

Inspector wrote:
Mattly wrote:A number of us have moved to http://www.simcentral.co.nz for our flying needs. If you enjoy FSX that would be a good place to start as a number of other drivers hang there.....
Sorry I didn't realise there was a an SCU Flight Clan as well, my mistake.

Yes Inspector, Members from SCu WELCOME ANYBODY, we are not selective about people, or the games we play. We play games to have fun, NOT be competitive and buy ourselves Trophies when we win.
Inspector wrote:Personally I know that making the SimCentral forum was not about the SCU clan, that is just a big smoke screen
You can believe what you like, but it doesn't mean your correct.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:50 pm

Growler wrote:I do check all three forums for any news etc but it would be good if everything was all in one place.
Just my two cents worth.
Growler.
Bang on Growler, that would be ideal, Agent X20 and Myself were already discussing ideas about merging SC with KS, and then Inspector went and created KSR, so who really created a rift?

In a perfect would there would be only one forum, but Inspector moved everyone from GPForums, then SC, so how long do we give KSR? Or now he has full control over the entire running, who will be blocked, band, and I feel very sorry for the next Nascar Committee if you have an outcome that differs from Inspectors oppinion. And what kind of Forum gives moderators access, and when they flex some common sense, they get told off.

But now we have GP Forums, Kiwisim, KSR, Humle, NZFF, and even the VSK3-4 guys run there own forums now.
Last edited by Typhoon on Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:53 pm

I'll throw my 5c into the ring.

I was very very surprised when a flight sim forum sprang up at SC. To me that said nope, the community at KiwiSim that is skewed heavily towards flight sims and has consciously gone out of its way not to threaten any aspects of the online racing stuff, wasn't really considered a good enough place for people to discuss their flight sim action.

Nevertheless, I understand people form their own allegiances to their favourite forums and such things will happen when you have communities setting their own agenda as they have every right to do.

Did I ever complain about it? Nope... it's your forum, you do what you want. Was I disappointed? Of course.

I've happily participated in the dialogue about where to next for the communities and in discussing whether there is a future in bringing the communities (back) together. I'm keen on the idea but there are some technical challenges to overcome... Unfortunately people's situations have changed and in particular the polarising effects of SC moving and new forums being set up as well as a news site to go with it have left me somewhat puzzled again, bemused even, and now largely indifferent.

Still, I appreciate that there are businesses and people's (well several individual's) livelihoods tied up in this and therefore their motivations are going to be different to those of the "fans", and again it's their right to promote their business and try to make some money.

So, once again, I get why it happened, and have never complained about it. Of course I was a little disappointed we couldn't coordinate more but everyone has their own agendas.

Personally, my time has been much more limited of late and I've not been as motivated to keep pushing KiwiSim along. Hell it's been over three years and no one has ever stepped up to the plate and definitively said "I'll help". Nothing I can do about that, but the small community we have is still strong and there's a great bunch of guys posting over there.

Regarding a merger - solving merger details, solving hosting questions and solving the ownership questions are all difficult. I'd like there to be a more central hub run by a core of passionate sim-fans but I don't really see it happening. The number of "givers" in any community is normally very small - of the order of 1% I'd say.

Personalities also play a strong part in things - and I see things like Inspector basically being hounded off the SC/KSR forum despite being one of the most articulate, passionate and giving people time wise with respect to this community. But I suppose communities change as you bring in new blood and new personalities assert themselves. Nevertheless I think KSR has lost a certain something of late, so maybe smaller is in some ways better.

For the time being I think KiwiSim will remain small, focussed and I'll continue to tweak and update it. And should a surge of enthusiasm take me, I've got plenty of ideas how to make it better. And that's probably what I'll do and reinvigorate the place. Best of all I get to decide what happens and who to delegate to and who can help out without having to decide everything by committee.

Lastly, I agree with most if not all of what Inspector has said above - despite being on the outside looking in. Perceptions are everything and I think the KSR/SC split could have been managed better if only through less in-fighting, rumour-mongering and bitching. I tried my best to mediate some of things being bandied around but there are some strong personalities at play.

KSR remains a strong vibrant community with loads of racing going on and so long as that continues I don't believe you have any concerns about the community fracturing.

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:03 pm

Typhoon wrote:
Growler wrote:I do check all three forums for any news etc but it would be good if everything was all in one place.
Just my two cents worth.
Growler.
Bang on Growler, that would be ideal, Agent X20 and Myself were already discussing ideas about merging SC with KS, and then Inspector went and created KSR, so who really created a rift?
Woah don't suck me into this! Yes I was discussing possible directions but next thing I hear people are threatening to move SC to their own servers ('cause they own the forum right Mat?), others wanting to prevent this as they feel the community has grown beyond its initial bounds, all amidst arguments raging about whose forum it was etc. Not pretty.
In a perfect would there would be only one forum, but Inspector moved everyone from GPForums, then SC, so how long do we give KSR?
Many of us departed for KiwiSim way in advance of any moves by the racing community - and of our own volition. (Or was it the other way round I can't remember now) The racing community moving seemed very logical to me and I would say most others at the time, and no-one moved under any form of duress.

I don't begin to really understand the whole dynamic of the KSR, SC thing. But what I do know is that Mat@VRC wanted the SC domain back and Noon bought and registered KSR so that there could be some continuity. Other than that I'm as confused about this as everyone else.
Or now he has full control over the entire running, who will be block, band, and I feel very sorry for the next Nascar Committee. And what kind of Forum gives moderators access, and when they flex some common sense, they get told off.
Frankly this sounds melodramatic in the extreme. Both paragraphs above read like outright shit stirring if you ask me... woah back there Mat you're getting way ahead of yourself and not doing your argument any favours at all.
But now we have GP Forums, Kiwisim, KSR, Humle, NZFF, and even the VSK3-4 guys run there own forums now.
Yes largely because people have specific interests, specific desires (yes making money is one of these as well), and don't know the "owners" of each site from a bar of soap. So they do what most folks would do is start a forum and see who turns up.... nothing unusual in that.

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:29 pm

Just my two cents worth.
Growler.
Typhoon wrote:
Nope, we renamed SimCentral to KiwisimRacing, a move to toward and eventualy (hopefully) a merge in both name and community effort. The only rift is because we didn't want the SimCentral name and the assumed ownership that went with it.

Typhoon wrote:In a perfect would there would be only one forum, but Inspector moved everyone from GPForums, then SC, so how long do we give KSR? Or now he has full control over the entire running, who will be blocked, band, and I feel very sorry for the next Nascar Committee if you have an outcome that differs from Inspectors oppinion. And what kind of Forum gives moderators access, and when they flex some common sense, they get told off.

I think Agent has answered that.

Typhoon wrote:But now we have GP Forums, Kiwisim, KSR, Humle, NZFF, and even the VSK3-4 guys run there own forums now.

So your point is? We have too many forums? So make another one and that'll make it all better?

Agent has summed it up quite nicely in his post above, and I will be the first to admit that mistakes on both sides, especially me. But that doesn't take from the fact that the meeting was held to try and resolve our issues and make a positive move in the right direction. Everyone at that meeting agreed upon that but only one person went ahead and created a new forum.

Despite all of this Typhoon and I will still kick Bazz and Happys arse at pool on Thursday because if that changed the world might stop turning round....................
Inspector

---

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:39 pm

Inspector wrote: Despite all of this Typhoon and I will still kick Bazz and Happys arse at pool on Thursday because if that changed the world might stop turning round....................
"Good on ya mate" :D

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:56 pm

I think people reading this should know:

Basically Inspector is my next door neighbour, we are great friends, and what is said in the forum is mostly banter. He's a great guy as you all know, and I have a great lot of respect for him. We just get a great buzz trying to piss each other off :)

Some people call this DEBATING HEHEHEHE

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:58 pm

I don't live next to either Inspector or Mat and who knows if we're mates but I think they're both utter utter utter bast+++~~~~~NO CONNECT

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:03 pm

Typhoon wrote:... Some people call this DEBATING HEHEHEHE
You misspelled it, it's debaiting... ;p :raspberry:

I think everyone just needs to have some of that thing that relaxes ... the thing that parents don't get to have anymore ... ummm, I forget the name of it ......... ah, that's right, SEX! Man, I so can't wait for the Easter LAN right now. You're coming right Typhoon? ;)

Mario-C

Post by Mario-C » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:14 pm

I am a good pilot

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:18 pm

I am a good pilot too _b

I also hang around GP forums still due to the lower egos (but more inept posters so it evens itself out), as well hanging as KS, SC, KSR. Me fourm whore ? Never ! :D
YouTube videos

Growler

Post by Growler » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:45 pm

Bold wrote:Bold grabs a beer and settles in for the long haul :D

:spanner:
I think it's over now...

Growler.

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:02 pm

Noon416 wrote: I think everyone just needs to have some of that thing that relaxes ... the thing that parents don't get to have anymore ... ummm, I forget the name of it ......... ah, that's right, SEX! Man, I so can't wait for the Easter LAN right now. You're coming right Typhoon? ;)
Hang on, there's sex happening at this years Easter LAN? D:
Don't make me destroy you.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:35 am

Noon416 wrote:I so can't wait for the Easter LAN right now. You're coming right Typhoon? ;)
Well, I'll be into some :drink: and definitly Proms :bbq: but not so keen on the :driver: but would like a spot of :joy: