How Many Pilots Here ?

Discussion of Flight & Sea Sims
rob_c

How Many Pilots Here ?

Post by rob_c » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:12 am

Just curious how many flight simmers are here ?

What sim(s) do you guys use ?

What joystick / throttles / pedals / controllers do you use ?

Over at ATR (Austeam Racing) a discussion has re-started about the possibility of forming an IL-2 Pacific Fighters squadron.

GarethRobinson

Post by GarethRobinson » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:28 pm

Yep, one here.

Primarily use FS9, the odd FS10. Use a Saitek Cyborg 3D Rumble Force and a Nostromo n52 Speedpad.

Also, about to be assessed to provide ATC on VatSim.
E6850 Core2Duo 3Ghz/4Gb DDR2-800/8800GTS/G25
Waiting for fixed-line broadband

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:58 pm

A number of us have moved to http://www.simcentral.co.nz for our flying needs. If you enjoy FSX that would be a good place to start as a number of other drivers hang there. If your into iL-2 and Lo-MAC then http://www.kiwisim.net.nz has a stong community.
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:25 pm

Most of our Multiplayer nights are getting around 8-10 flyers.
I'm using CH Yoke, Throttle Quad, and CH Pedals, with a Track IR. Generally all flying is in FSX, and Navigate using VOR and IFR.

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:16 pm

just a thought...why not all move to Kiwisim? at least then people dont have to trapse back and forth between forums all the time trying to figure out whos where and whats happening?

Fly Lomac here a bit (though lost my install disc at the moment which is proving a small problem after my last round of re-installs) using a logitech 3d extreme

Starting to do a fair bit of gliding in FSX as well to calm the nerves after an average day at work

Danman

Post by Danman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:23 pm

I'm a flyer too... :)

F4AF (just getting back into it)
Lomac
IL2
FSX
X-Plane 8 (yeah it' FS8 vs Fly2 all over again)

Used to love Longbow2 and F15

I have a Saitek X45, just picked up some CH pro pedals off trademe to go with the old CH virtual pilot gameport yoke I'm using with a DSE adaptor. I guess I'll get a new USB yoke from VR one day :D

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:28 pm

:wave:
Admire the fur

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:20 pm

I'd play flight sim X but I find the Microsoft Powerpoint Screenshot slideshow has a better framerate =]
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Transit

Post by Transit » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:40 pm

Old CFS1 dude here _b
just got Wings of Victory for BoB and looking forward to new pc soon :)
have fs9 and quite keen to get nz textures and updates...
tempted to get fsx and hope the anti-whale patch appears
BoB is excellent
E6550/8800gts320/G25/Oakchair

Growler

Post by Growler » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:09 pm

Jetboy wrote:just a thought...why not all move to Kiwisim? at least then people dont have to trapse back and forth between forums all the time trying to figure out whos where and whats happening.
Hehehe...I was thinking the same thing. I only found out about the other forum the other day.

Growler.

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:01 pm

Growler wrote:
Jetboy wrote:just a thought...why not all move to Kiwisim? at least then people dont have to trapse back and forth between forums all the time trying to figure out whos where and whats happening.
Hehehe...I was thinking the same thing. I only found out about the other forum the other day.

Growler.
What other forum?

I only browse Kiwsim and Kiwisim racing ;)

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:23 pm

Jetboy wrote:just a thought...why not all move to Kiwisim? at least then people dont have to trapse back and forth between forums all the time trying to figure out whos where and whats happening?

There was discussion under way to do exactly this Jetboy so that the New Zealand Sim Community could be all together but some members of the community had other ideas and have effectively split the community now rather than bring it together.

Personally I'm very dissapointed!
Inspector

---

Growler

Post by Growler » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:25 pm

Bold wrote:
Growler wrote:

Growler.
What other forum?

This one. http://www.simcentral.co.nz/forums/inde ... 316346c515

Growler.

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:27 pm

LOL Growler, you missed the sarcasm in Bolds post :)
Inspector

---

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:27 pm

Growler wrote:
Bold wrote:
What other forum?

This one. http://www.simcentral.co.nz/forums/inde ... 316346c515

Growler.
You seem to have missed the use of my 'winking' smiley ;p

KämpferAs

Post by KämpferAs » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:24 pm

Il-2 and a little FSX

X45 and trying to get R440 pedals to work...

Go to kiwisim.net.nz for your flight needs...
KämpferAs

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:39 pm

Inspector wrote:
Jetboy wrote:just a thought...why not all move to Kiwisim? at least then people dont have to trapse back and forth between forums all the time trying to figure out whos where and whats happening?

There was discussion under way to do exactly this Jetboy so that the New Zealand Sim Community could be all together but some members of the community had other ideas and have effectively split the community now rather than bring it together.

Personally I'm very dissapointed!
Well Inspector, I'm rather disappointed about a PM that was sent to Mattly asking why a Flight Sim forum was set up on what basically a Racing Forum. I think a lot of PM's should be posted into the public forum so people would then see why you created a split, including the split over Dud's Actions in the last season of Nascar. I think you seriously need to step back and look at your actions, as they would seriously make new sponsors turn away.

Growler

Post by Growler » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:44 pm

Inspector wrote:LOL Growler, you missed the sarcasm in Bolds post :)
It did dawn on me when I posted..but..what the hell...we are all a big happy family right??? ;)

Growler.

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:39 pm

lol, that's a bit like a Tui's ad :D
YouTube videos

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:56 pm

Typhoon wrote:Well Inspector, I'm rather disappointed about a PM that was sent to Mattly asking why a Flight Sim forum was set up on what basically a Racing Forum. I think a lot of PM's should be posted into the public forum.......

Is this the PM (or rather the relevent part) your talking about?

Inspector wrote: As for the flight sim threads, I'm truely amazed that you and Mat in particular have pushed that forum in preference for posting at KiwiSim? Our brother forum in the Sim community who we are now trying to align more with and it looks like we are trying to steal their thunder?

As everyone can now see my complaint is actually why a forum was started in competition with KiwiSim which is well known as this communities Flight Sim orientated forum, I made no reference to the racing forum at all so don't make things up please.
Typhoon wrote:so people would then see why you created a split, including the split over Dud's Actions in the last season of Nascar. I think you seriously need to step back and look at your actions, as they would seriously make new sponsors turn away.

A meeting was called and attended in Palmy between some of the key members in the community. They included, Typhoon, Noon, Riven, Ron Westland, Bazzil, Agent X20 and myself.

Here we talked about moving forward by renaming the racng community to KiwiSimRacing and taking a step toward the possibilty of merging it with KiwiSim (predomanantly a news and flight sim forum).

This move was made with two things in mind:

1. To merge the two communities as one, obviously for a stronger and more productive NZ Sim Community but also to reduce the workload on individuals within the community and to combine the efforts of those individuals for the good of all.

2. To reduce the cost to individuals through the sponsorship and support of Inspire Net and to broaden our possible sponsorship by not being tied to one sponsor who indicated the wish to advertise etc on the forum.

The meeting concluded on an agreement to advance the concept and this was done by making the name change and the old domain handed back to Typhoon. Further advances were to be made by individuals at that meeting that would in time lead to the creation of a dedicated Sim server and possibly the amalgamation of KiwiSimRacing and KiwiSim.

The intention is still to work toward this end but now the community has been split by the creation of a 3rd forum which threatens not only to split the flight community but also to create it's own racing forums as well. I really don't think it was me that split the community, all I and others have done is worked toward bringing it together, and I can not see how creating a new forum has done anything toward that.

Whilst personality conflicts will always be an issue wherever we go, and personal agenda will always need to be controlled by the group, outright ownership of a community like ours will never work as M found out clearly over at GPForums and no matter how you look at it, this community started and grew to where it is through the efforts of many and I'm sure will continue to do so.
Inspector

---

Growler

Post by Growler » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:58 pm

Prometheus wrote:lol, that's a bit like a Tui's ad :D
YEAH RIGHT!

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:12 pm

Well actually Inspector, it really shows how you jump to conclusions :)

1. SC forums were moved to KSR, so where was the SCu Clan meant to base themselves, leaving a lot Members not know what to do.
2. KSR is pretty much for Racing, Kiwisim is pretty much for Flying, no one disagress with that.

Now, since I believe you haven't even visit the SC forums, you will find it has been established for the SCu Clan, to organise fun nights of BF2, FSX, Lomac, Anno1701, Medievil Total War, NWN2, and have a general discussion about all things gaming.

So how is this splitting the community? *as Inspector wipes egg from his face after his big cry. :cry:

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:22 pm

Bold grabs a beer and settles in for the long haul :D

:spanner:

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:24 pm

Typhoon wrote:Well actually Inspector, it really shows how you jump to conclusions :)

1. SC forums were moved to KSR, so where was the SCu Clan meant to base themselves, leaving a lot Members not know what to do.
2. KSR is pretty much for Racing, Kiwisim is pretty much for Flying, no one disagress with that.

Now, since I believe you haven't even visit the SC forums, you will find it has been established for the SCu Clan, to organise fun nights of BF2, FSX, Lomac, Anno1701, Medievil Total War, NWN2, and have a general discussion about all things gaming.

So how is this splitting the community? *as Inspector wipes egg from his face after his big cry. :cry:
I would vist the SC forum (as I have a BF2 SCu tag) but I refuse to visit 'register only' forums.

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:14 pm

Here you go Bold, are you comfy, is the beer cold?

Just because I love a good debate I'll fire back a reply. At the end of the day things had to come out into the open and no matter how you brush it off, my points above have been read by all the community and that is all that matters.

So your saying Simcentral is a clan forum now?

Mattly wrote:A number of us have moved to http://www.simcentral.co.nz for our flying needs. If you enjoy FSX that would be a good place to start as a number of other drivers hang there.....

Sorry I didn't realise there was a an SCU Flight Clan as well, my mistake.

If we are talking about people crying then this certainly looked pretty much a tear jerker to me and obviously I had to respond so I think the crying might be on both sides. Would you like to borrow my tissues, I have a few left?

Typhoon wrote: Well Inspector, I'm rather disappointed about a PM that was sent to Mattly asking why a Flight Sim forum was set up on what basically a Racing Forum. I think a lot of PM's should be posted into the public forum so people would then see why you created a split, including the split over Dud's Actions in the last season of Nascar. I think you seriously need to step back and look at your actions, as they would seriously make new sponsors turn away.

I'm not too concerened about any egg that gets on my face, that's usually what happens when you step up and do stuff in the community because sometimes you make mistakes and have to pay for it. The real issue is learning and improving from your mistakes. At then end of the day if I achieve something good for the community then it's all good.

Personally I know that making the SimCentral forum was not about the SCU clan, that is just a big smoke screen, you only have to look at who owns it and who advertises on it to know that. Some of the SimCentral members will have gone there because they are part of that clan and that's understandable but I guess no one thought that a KSU (KiwiSimUnit) might have been a good idea and would then have included everyone, including those that didn't want to be a member of yet another forum that doubles up on what is already available?

I'll let everyone else make up their own minds about what SimCentral is about, and if that is the direction the community should go instead of a KiwiSim/KiwiSimRacing forum run by and for the community.
Inspector

---