FarCry 2

Life is short. Play more.
Growler

Re: FarCry 2

Post by Growler » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:09 pm

I tried to outrun a Gazelle in the off-roader. Bloody thing stopped in it's tracks and I collected it killing it dead...
I hope no one here belongs to the SPCA...

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:00 pm

Sasquatch wrote: Some guys are b*tching about the the checkpoints respawning and how you are unable to bribe them. If the checkpoints didn't respawn the map would dry up real fast and people would moan its boring. Bribing them isn't realistic either because you need the dimonds to buy guns, equiptment, and perks so shooting them or running the check point are your only options.

I found that little dune buggy as well. I think it goes slower than the Jeep Wrangler :p... The river boats are fun and the scenery is just magic.

I'm %18 percent into now and i've already noticed the AI is getting tougher and more of thm. Also, the missions are changing to be a little more interesting. Have you tried the Sprint - Crouch slide - slash with machete routine yet? Its very cool especially if you wound them. Then you do a final attack that has a nice sequence built in :skull:

I luv my rescue buddies! I now have a silenced MP5. Not very good at range but i can now double tap headshots without alerting the rest of guards. Its very cool though to wound them in the legs and they call for help and when help arrives you plug them both :D
Yep, I'm bitching about the checkpoints.. Sure they need to rebuild eventually, but there are many different ways they could have been better. Currently, if you clear a checkpoint / village and then drive 500m up the road, and come back, the checkpoint is totally rebuilt. Many missions involve going past several checkpoints on the way to the objective, and then the same ones on the way back..

Some options they could have used, such as taking 1 day of game time to rebuild, or just having two soldiers back in 10 minutes, then some more half an hour later etc..

Other options could have been to double the number of bus stops, so you could use busses more often..

Also I think the maps could have been more open, its to restrictive with all the unclimbable cliffs.

I'm 69% of the way through the single player. I am finding the south map even better than the first map.

The AI definitely get stronger. Most of the jeeps will have 50 cal machine guns, or even more fun, grenade launchers :D Most of the villages also have either a mortar unit, or rocket launcher, with eagle eyes!

The mortars are hard case.. If you here the screeching sound, or see a yellow flare next to you, run like hell!

My load out of choice is AS50cal sniper, M249 LMG, and M-79 Grenade launcher. Something for every occasion :D

Growler

Post by Growler » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:36 pm

Bold wrote:I'm 69% of the way through the single player. I am finding the south map even better than the first map.
Bloody hell. I played for a good part of the weekend and I'm still at 8%

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:54 pm

Heh, the % complete only counts story missions, so hunting diamonds and doing friend missions doesn't help it.

I'm at 23hours in game time now, and had it for over a week :)

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:54 am

Bold wrote:Heh, the % complete only counts story missions, so hunting diamonds and doing friend missions doesn't help it.

I'm at 23hours in game time now, and had it for over a week :)
Your only playing half the game Bold. The side missions and having rescue buddies at the ready is really enjoyable. 1 side mission was to steal a tank of poison and return it to buddy. Then i had to wipe out bad guys at plantation and give the all clear...buddy flew over in crop duster sprayed the site killing crops but got shot down and i had to rescue him. Great fun :)

Have you played any MP yet?

The MP interface to find servers is a bit awkward. Its a very console design and once a map starts you can't join in >:[ Worse, once you pick a side you can't swap sides even if that side drops players, so you can't even the teams o_O The creators really dropped the ball on this feature.

SCu had 11 dudes show up last night and we had a go at Team Deathmatch. Good fun and good balance once everyone was in. Earning XP to accuire dimonds to buy upgrades is a nice feature. The basic guns are crap so ranking up early is important. Lots of explosive stuff lieing around in the maps ie: oil drums and my favourite ammo resupply crates..one or two shots and BOOM and the ammo goes off killing or wounding anyone around. Then there is the bleeding to death if you don't take care of your wounds quickly. Running to quickly hide and pop out bullets takes time and adds suspense to the gameplay. You can revive your buddies by running over to them and helping them up to get back into the fight. A good tactic is once you've shot a dude is wait and his team mate will try to revive then boom - good fun that :D
Admire the fur

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:54 am

No no, I am doing plenty of side missions as well, was just mention that for Growler, the % complete is no reflection on how much of the full game has been played..

Current stats..

84% game completed
Main Missions: 26/33
Buddy missions 12/12
Side missions 26/40
Underground 5
Diamonds found 661
Total time 25:02:48
Shots fired 20179
accuracy 28%
Walked 103km
Driven 199km
Swam 2km

I think I've found about 85 briefcases. Only 5 jackal tapes though.

Side missions counts cell tower and buddies at the bar. I've kind of gotten bored of those missions lately, they are very repetitive and always involve travel to too many out of the way places. Cell tower missions especially..

I haven't tried multiplayer at all. I expect it will get old fairly quickly..

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:07 pm

Brought the game about a week ago, tried to fire, didnt see the bit on the case where it read 'needs internet for activation'

Waited a week and I finnally have the web back (dail-up but still the web), and got to playing it _b.

I really do like this game, it actually kinda reminded me of Grand theft Auto in a way.

Have only played a couple of hours and going to get into it more over the weekend but from my initial impression is this is rather epic :D

Scrunty

Post by Scrunty » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:02 pm

Aside from the repetitive nature of the 'instant respawn' checkpoints (as moaned about by bold) it is rather epic.
Made it to the 2nd map here ^_^
Halo Racing

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:36 am

i just sold my copy.
Admire the fur