World War II Online: Battleground Europe 1.31 Preview

Life is short. Play more.
Tom

World War II Online: Battleground Europe 1.31 Preview

Post by Tom » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:57 pm

For those of you who don't know what WWIIOL/BGE is here is a quick summary. Originally released under the title Blitzkrieg in 2001 as the first MMOFPS, it is a World War 2 based War Sim with a gameworld consisting of a half scale map of Europe covering over 300,000 square kilometres with no loading zones. The original release was not all that successful and it was re-released as Battleground Europe in 2005 with updated graphics and game mechanics. The game while groundbreaking in some ways often gets overlooked due to it's dated graphics.

The game has a huge learning curve, this isn't a battlefield style run and gun game. It requires skill and patience, and every kill you make is very rewarding. Personally it took me 3 separate trials before I subscribed to the game and I usually do it on and off in 3 month blocks. I spend most of my time flying fighters and if you are into games like IL2 you will be at home here.

Some of the great things about this game are:
- Huge range of vehicles from planes, tanks to navy with 3 countries fighting, England and France vs Germany
- It uses a realistic penetration based damage system, which means you can shoot the crap out of a tank for example but unless you are using the right kind of rounds and hitting it in the right spots you won't do any damage to it, you need to learn what equipment can be used to damage the opponents and how to do it.
- The Developers are often viewing/posting in the forums and it's not unusual to see them in the game.
- The combat in this game is very good, you can be part of some epic battles, fights over a city may last days, with the overall campaign lasting months.
- It has a day/night cycle which adds to the immersion and variation to the battle dynamics, 1.31 will introduce variable weather.
- Very good stats system, shows all sorts of info from when you started playing the game.

There are some also some bad points to consider:
- It's not as visually appealing as modern games, but remember this is a 10 year old game engine with a huge map, 6-8km view distance and capacity for thousands of players on the map, has a small budget and development team of around 8 people.
- Development time can be drawn out, some things like higher resolution terrain were in works years ago but have yet to see the light of day. It is amazing what they achieve though and 1.31 has gone beyond what I was expecting.
- The playerbase is also quite small which can make the server feel underpopulated at times. Most of the players are US/UK based (This game will only get better with more players and has potential to be HUGE)
- The game has had some performance issues, It has been improved with engine tweaks and 1.31 should introduce more fixes (The current version is running pretty smoothly)
- The huge learning curve, while this can also be seen as a positive it does turn away a lot of new players, you need to be patient and accept that you are going to get killed a lot and probably never see who killed you, there are plenty of people out there who are willing to help out new players too.
- The kill system can be frustrating at times, sometimes not awarding you with kills you should have got, they are planning on overhauling it at some point.

All I can say is this game is well worth checking out, they always have a free 2 week trial running but it requires a credit card number to prevent abuse. They will no doubt run another longer trial around the release of 1.31 open beta, they recently had free 1 month trials with an invitation by a subscribed player. I would expect to see this again. This game has come a long way since it's release in 2001 and since I started playing, around 2005. It will continue to be updated, 1.31 being a drive to get more players into the game with a visual upgrade.

Anyway onto the preview, click the link for details, screenshots, videos. There should be more info in the following weeks and the open beta shouldn't be too far away.
http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/index ... ll-physics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few screenshots I have picked from the 1.31 preview:

Sasquatch

Re: World War II Online: Battleground Europe 1.31 Preview

Post by Sasquatch » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:16 pm

Ahhh a great game indeed. I played it for 3 months at one stage a few years back. However as Tom mentioned it can be a bit lonely if you don't pick a popular spot on the map to spawn. It is best played with mates via ts and work as a team. I gained rank and and xp just by ferrying dudes in a truck to the combat zone and back. A few things i didn't like about the game were; if you pick a vehicle to spawn as, you were that vehicle. IE: if you chose a plane there was no bail out option when i played and same goes with tank, jeep, truck, destroyer, etc.. It makes it heavily dependent on team mates... I spawned as a pulled 88AA gun and i was lucky enough to have a friend tow me to a nice little location that was well hidden on the side of a hill. I got three armour kills until enemy just didn't come that way again but the bad thing was my teammate had left and i was stuck there until i suicided. There are no external views either so if you are in armour you find yourself driving around unbuttoned switching from driver to commander to stick your head out and peak around looking for targets. Servers were pretty good from what i remember. They had some sort of ping leveling system so most players pings were leveled out to match others. I did find most USA peeps generally went as Germans and with the time difference you could take a town and hold it for hours but after signing off the other side of the world wakes up and takes it back. Either way, was a great game and still is one.
Admire the fur

Brutal

Post by Brutal » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:04 pm

By the sounds of it this is a game worth downloading... Do many of you play it? It's only a smallish 400mb download.

MiniStock_55n

Post by MiniStock_55n » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:08 pm

Where would the download be if downloadable??
No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you ... he rubbed you. And rubbin', son, is racin'." -- Harry Hogge

Ministock 55n Purple People Eater Jr

vegas74r

Post by vegas74r » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:05 pm

is it free

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:08 am

Download the game at http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/index ... d-the-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can try the game for free in offline mode, more for checking controls etc though, you won't get a taste of the gameplay as it's a fully online game. And no it's not free, it's an MMO so there is a subscription, plans start at $14.99us per month (the standard mmo monthly cost)

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:33 pm

It's a brilliant game but only fun if you are in a group on TS as the game (from memory) doesn't have built in voip.
Admire the fur