World of Tanks

Life is short. Play more.
Sasquatch

World of Tanks

Post by Sasquatch » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:50 pm

First Up - this game is FREE, for now. So get an account going now while you still can for FREE. This game will purchase only in the future.

Next - this is a MMOG.

Main website and where you download and create your account.
http://www.worldoftanks.com/

SIMHQ review:

http://www.simhq.com/_land3/land_121a.html

Comprehensive Wiki:

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Main_Page

If one word could describe this game it would be "addictive". It should come with a warning label spelling out how potencially it could ruin your social, study, or work life if not played in small doses only. Warnings such as:

This could ruin your love life
You WILL think about this game at work, study, online racing, and even on the toilet
You will rave about this game blindly to anyone, even if they don't know what you are on about
Your children will time warp from a happy infant, to raiding your liqueur cabinet and stealing your car keys before you log off.
You WILL become more knowledgeable than Jane's Encyclopedia of WWII Tanks in Europe.
You will write articles in your local forum ;p

GRAPHICS

I have i5, ati 5850, 4 gig ram, win7 64x and i have everything maxed and runs great. However, a basic rig that can run rfactor nicely can also do this easily, yet the game looks pretty.

SOUND

Explosions and ricochet's sound like the stuff you hear in movies, so i guess that is good. Tanks do sound like tanks with the tracks squeaking and gears grinding, with turret motors moaning etc and they all sound different.

GARAGE

This where you pick your tank, make improvements, and up skill your crew. Tank types are based on Tier so you can't take the biggest baddest tank and go mix it up with the light tanks besides, you have to research and earn enough xp to earn the biggest and/or the baddest steel beast out there. Some additions, modifications, or up skills require gold - this is where you flip out your credit card if you choose.

GAMEPLAY

Gameplay is arcade like and very simple, yet the tactics that get developed are remarkably modern and advanced.
You drive around in 3rd person view but can zoom in (sniper view) for accurate shooting. Each gun/ammo type/velocity/angle is countered by armour thickness, angle, levels of thickness locations, location of hit, etc... and it is all accurately worked out. You can kit out your tank to be a fast scout and gain xp for simply spotting the enemy, or play as a whole puncher and objective taker with more firepower but less speed or maneuverability, or even play (like i do) as an ambusher. Lay in wait hidden behind trees, buildings (in buildings) or in bushes (cammo'd) waiting for someone to come within your lethal range.

You can gain XP lots of ways and the most common methods are:

*spotting enemy
*killing enemy
*causing damage to enemy
*capturing enemy zone

While the game is basic to play (like BF2BC vehicle movement and firing) the tactics involved can be complex. The game does not have weapon balancing and vehicle balancing as per say, like you get with most arcade shooters like BF2BC... Weapons and movement is as accurately portrayed as can be and the only way of 'balancing' is by putting vehicles in a Tier classes. The only problem i've found is that spg (arty) is far to accurate (basically pin point accuracy) which is being addressed in the next patch.

Tactics

Simply put, there are heaps. I suggest looking up the wiki (see above) on tactics and do a quick once over, or simply learn what not to do in game.

Connectivity and game times

My pings have varied between 200 and 320 and is playable. Every so often on some servers i get a bit of lag when long rang shooting but it is still playable.

Games last anywhere from 2min to 15min depending on how good/lucky you are. If you are loan wolf rambo type player you won't last long until (at least) you kit out your tank and rank up your crew a bit. Stay in a pack if you want to survive.

Tips

If your tank gets destroyed you can esc back to the garage and pick another tank and join another server and keep playing until your first round ends.

Use cover and concealment as much as possible. What is the difference you say? Cover = gives you some protection from enemy fire while, concealment = makes you harder to be seen by the enemy. Note = once you fire you become visible even behind cover or concealment so 'shoot and scoot' is great tactics for fast tanks and a MUST for spg's and tank destroyers.

Opinion

So far, (though this might not be your type of game, but if it is) I give this game an official Sasquatch _b _b up. It is FREE, it will run well on a low spec rig, tech trees are huge with lots of upgrade researching, and gameplay anyone can master quickly. The downside is, no clan hosting (unless you buy), no joining your friends in game (unless you buy), some aspects of the game you cannot unlock (without buying), and pings can be a bit highish at times because all the servers are either in Russia or USA.

PS...add me as a friend - Sasquatch_NZ

Admire the fur

Bull

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Bull » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:26 pm

If I get it, will you ever be online to play against/with?

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:33 pm

:larf: Uuuummm yeah ;)
Problem is you can't join a friend in game..only if you or your friend has purchased the game... I'm going to pull the trigger and buy it over the weekend.... my motive is for gold :D
Admire the fur

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:50 pm

heard about this a while ago, never really took my fancy, I prefer real fast paced games where I actually get to shoot some noobs.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:41 am

Aaron wrote:heard about this a while ago, never really took my fancy, I prefer real fast paced games where I actually get to shoot some noobs.
actually the game can be very fast paced depending on your style of play... On average games only last 7-10min but usually half the field is popped by the 4-8min marker. I've never been on a map that has simply run out of time. One side always wins over the other :ghost:

If i get killed within 2 min i simply exit out, grab another tank and spawn into a different match and keep playing..when i get back to garage my other tank is there waiting for me with XP earned etc.. Its like playing S&D but instead of being forced to watch others (which you can do) i simply drop out, go to another server and play another round..then i get combined XP and $$$ for two battles...technically you can do this unlimited amount of times...so if you have 7 tanks you can do this 7 times consecutively.
Admire the fur

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:12 pm

hmm just had a quick look at a gameplay trailer, might give it a try after teams tonight.

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:33 am

I tried it months ago. Didn't like it. I get more enjoyment out of the Battlefield tanks tbh
My Abilities are Only Limited by Those who try to Test Them
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:44 am

Admire the fur

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:20 pm

Didn't realize it was free :I

Will check when I get home from work, hope it's still free to play!

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:00 am

i'm fighting with a hetzer now..

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Hetzer

i am 500 research points away from upgrading it to the 105mm... this should give me some decent punching power against heavies... also got the camo mesh and bino's for long range shooting.
Admire the fur

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:59 pm

man swear I found a hacker... 10 kills on 1 map, seriously.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Aaron wrote:man swear I found a hacker... 10 kills on 1 map, seriously.
i got 6 and captured their base the other day... it is do able if your a camping hoe bag like me :cute:
Admire the fur

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Yeah highest I've got so far was 4, but na this guy was a little too strange to play against. I have faced good players getting 8,9,10 etc

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:36 pm

I bet his name was FreddyK.
"If he gets any wider, he'll be racing in the carpark!" - Aaron Drever

Bull

Post by Bull » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:41 pm

KSR Aaza wrote:
I bet his name was FreddyK.
QFT

MadaMaoriJR

Post by MadaMaoriJR » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:57 am

The 30th annual Golden Joystick Award Results:

Best MMO: World of Tanks
Best Shooter: Battlefield 3
Best Action/Adventure: Batman: Arkham City
Best Sports: FIFA 12
Best Racer: Forza 4
Best Strategy: Civilization V
Best Fighter: Mortal Combat Komplete Edition
Best Mobile/Tablet: Angry Birds Space
Best RPG: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Best Handheld: Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Best Browser/Flash: Slender
Best Downloadable: Minecraft (360)
Best DLC: Portal 2 (Perpetual Testing Initiative)
Top Gaming Moment: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
One To Watch: Grand Theft Auto V
Ultimate Game of the Year: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Anybody interested in clan wars ( from 9ish every night) with fellow kiwis&aussie's we are always looking for new members at NZAD

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:06 pm

MadaMaoriJR

Post by MadaMaoriJR » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Yup thats the clan on the north american servers.

I've jumped over to SEA (south east asia )Servers for better clan wars times , http://worldoftanks-sea.com/community/c ... 0216-NZAD/

NA server clans are 10am'ish till 2pm'ish, SEA clans are 9pmish till midnightish depending on how many battle's are had

vandem
GPL luddite

Post by vandem » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:44 pm

I jumped to the SEA servers too. Got hooked after watching my son a couple of months ago, only do 1 night a week so only up to level 5 tanks (German TDs and LTs, then Russian LTs, now British tanks), and assumed that clans wouldn't want me. Surprisingly (given my crap-ness at sim racing) I'm OK at WoT, 53% win rate (and 60%+ with recent British tanks).

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:35 pm

i'm in ANZUS, SEA server

Sasquatch_NZ
Admire the fur

MadaMaoriJR

Post by MadaMaoriJR » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:02 pm

Sasquatch wrote:i'm in ANZUS, SEA server

Sasquatch_NZ
We/they are looking (the powers that be that run the clan) at forming a Alliance with ANZUS aswell as a few other clans :).
vandem wrote:I jumped to the SEA servers too. Got hooked after watching my son a couple of months ago, only do 1 night a week so only up to level 5 tanks (German TDs and LTs, then Russian LTs, now British tanks), and assumed that clans wouldn't want me. Surprisingly (given my crap-ness at sim racing) I'm OK at WoT, 53% win rate (and 60%+ with recent British tanks).
Way to go Vandem :) . Nothing wrong with the lower tiers on SEA servers (yrll get more games in lower teirs than tier 8-10 untill well after midnight )

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:03 am

Must have another crack at WOT.

Gave it a go, but my style of rushing in didn't really work so well :larf:

MadaMaoriJR

Post by MadaMaoriJR » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:45 am

Riftcreator wrote:Must have another crack at WOT.

Gave it a go, but my style of rushing in didn't really work so well :larf:
No Retreat No Surrender , wheres the like button :)

Yes the learning curve of WoT is hard early on but you will get used to the stagy needed for the tank your running

Im sure me & sasq can jump on t/s sometime and help you guys out if needed and platoon together :)

Im on most nights

1tuf3o8, SEA server , thats a o not a Zero

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:06 pm

MadaMaoriJR wrote: Im sure me & sasq can jump on t/s sometime and help you guys out if needed and platoon together :)

Im on most nights

1tuf3o8, SEA server , thats a o not a Zero
I'll grind some Tiers with you guys... any level as i have about 16 vehicles. So don't be shy add me as a friend and send me an invite or i can create a platoon. :)

ANZUS has a 5-7 group B sections for those still making their way up the food chain.

Yeah, been talking to our clan commander and his alternates about the alliance.. I think its an excellent move _b
Admire the fur

MadaMaoriJR

Post by MadaMaoriJR » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:09 pm

Good platooning today Sasquatch _b

Think we finished with a 5/3 win ratio :D