Company of Heroes

Life is short. Play more.
Mattly

Company of Heroes

Post by Mattly » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:24 pm

Hi All

The demo of this title has come out and includes a tutorial and 2 single player maps. I downloaded it expecting just another RTS with nice graphics. What I got was probably the best demo I have seen this year.
I plan to do a full preview on this title in the coming weeks, but lets just say that it's going to be the biggest multiplayer RTS to hit the stores this year.

Quick Summary

Graphics = A+ (this game captures the true violence of war)
Gameplay = A (I found the whole control scene very intuitve)
Sound = A+ (headphones on, sound cranked up)
Tutorial = A+ (best tutorial for an RTS i have experienced)
FunFactor = A (simply can't wait to play against the Palmy Hoes)
Demo = B (only because it's 1.5gb to download)

Dload here: http://www.gamershell.com/news/32263.html

This game will surprise even the hardcore RTS guys in it's scope and playablity. Get it NOW!!!

P.S It does have high hardware requirements. IF you have less than a 3.0ghz cpu and a 6600gt card don't bother. On my machine it was stunning. _b
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm

You can't download it at the mo (it's been pulled pending a new version).

I will upload it to files.inspire.net.nz when the new version comes out.
Save you whores nailing our bandwidth... ;p

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:19 pm

I wonder why they pulled it? I found it really polished as I played through the missions last night. Hopefully we will get a multiplayer map in the new demo.
_b
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:22 pm

If you have it on pre-order you can play in the last stage of the closed multiplayer beta for the next month till it's actually released. ;)

THQ/Relic. Enough said, I ordered it knowing crap all about it. After playing the beta a few days I'd say it is a mix of Dawn of War and Soldiers: Heros of World War 2. Both kickass games and this is certainly looking to be equally good.

Attention Simbin. That's what a good reputation gets you. Pissing people off means we wait till your game is in the bargin bin if we buy it at all.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:25 pm

Eagle32 wrote:If you have it on pre-order you can play in the last stage of the closed multiplayer beta for the next month till it's actually released. ;)

THQ/Relic. Enough said, I ordered it knowing crap all about it. After playing the beta a few days I'd say it is a mix of Dawn of War and Soldiers: Heros of World War 2. Both kickass games and this is certainly looking to be equally good.

Attention Simbin. That's what a good reputation gets you. Pissing people off means we wait till your game is in the bargin bin if we buy it at all.
Pre-ordered from whom? Is it going to offer a digital dload option?
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:29 pm

*cough*GPStore*cough*

You can't say email newsletter advertising doesn't work :eek:

Actually to clarify that I think it's if you've pre-ordered the Collectors edition.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:29 pm

Checked it out Mattly, looks like we can Import Stock from the US, should arrive the same time as the NZ Release, but we should be around $20 cheaper.

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:29 am

Yeah i have been looking forward to this. MP should be good. Wiill have to hook up when people have it.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:57 pm

Noon416 wrote:You can't download it at the mo (it's been pulled pending a new version).

I will upload it to files.inspire.net.nz when the new version comes out.
Save you whores nailing our bandwidth... ;p
Good one Noon _b
Admire the fur

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:17 pm

Downloading now (3dgamers has it), will get it uploaded to files.inspire first thing tomorrow as the server at the far end is only allowing 200KB/s so it's not going to be finished before Uteboy/etc go home.

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:08 am

The Singleplayer Beta Demo is up at http://files.inspire.net.nz

Direct link (1557 MB)

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:40 am

Awesome.

I've tried to download the hi-res video of the game, but it always stops at 70% or thereabouts.

She looks like a fab game _b
YouTube videos

Viking

Post by Viking » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:05 pm

Noon416 wrote:(1557 MB)
Is that a missprint? 1.5 gig for a demo
"Ooooh, Can someone please, remove these, cutleries, from my knees" - fotc
"All those who hate speeding tickets, raise your right foot"

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:15 pm

Not a misprint I'm afraid. It is indeed 1.5 GB (which is why we wanted it on Files).

I've noticed demos getting bigger and bigger, seems to be a sign of the times...

Viking

Post by Viking » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:36 pm

O_O Thats a big step up. Around 500mb seemed to be the current norm I thought.
"Ooooh, Can someone please, remove these, cutleries, from my knees" - fotc
"All those who hate speeding tickets, raise your right foot"

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:29 am

I will be very keen to multiplay with anyone who purchases this game. They have been doing extensive testing of the multiplay by the looks, so hopefully it will run without hiccups.

I upgraded to 512k upload so that i can host games like this, so post if/when you purchase this game and i will know who to invite to a gaming session.

The latest edition of PC Gamer Magazine has reviewed the upcoming Company of Heroes and given the real-time strategy game an incredible score of 96%!
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:38 am

Iam getting this around the 11th (us release date) i will need the practice before you guys get it, i will be up to some mp. Just tried the demo last night and WOW.

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:18 am

Played the single player demo last night, and I'm afraid I won't be buying this RTS.

The profound(!!) lack of overview (zoom out) was incredibly frustrating as I spent an inordinate amount of scrolling around when giving orders (more than I've ever had to in the past). Like having to select my unit and then scroll a whole screen to the enemy tank that is only across the other side a small bridge, etc... :ffs:

I know why they've done it (so units can be higher in polygon counts, "flashier" graphics), but it wasn't a positive move in my mind.

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:37 am

Noon416 wrote:Played the single player demo last night, and I'm afraid I won't be buying this RTS.

The profound(!!) lack of overview (zoom out) was incredibly frustrating as I spent an inordinate amount of scrolling around when giving orders (more than I've ever had to in the past). Like having to select my unit and then scroll a whole screen to the enemy tank that is only across the other side a small bridge, etc... :ffs:

I know why they've done it (so units can be higher in polygon counts, "flashier" graphics), but it wasn't a positive move in my mind.
Firstly if your men ain't close by why would you be selecting them to target a far off enemy. Secondly there are short cut keys that help with that problem and finally were you using the strategic map?

I know it's not for everyone Noon, sorry to hear you couldn't enjoy it.
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:29 pm

he he, I know how to play RTS's Mattly... ;p

My criticism was as much a small commentary on how most RTS's are tending towards looking prettier at the sacrifice of showing more units onscreen.

When you can't see what your unit (even rifleman) is firing at without scrolling, I see that as a problem. Especially when the units engagement range is beyond the screen.
I shouldn't have to rely on strategic maps and scrolling when I'm fighting a skirmish across a small bridge...

If someone mods in the ability to zoom out further later on, then I might consider it but for the moment this fatal flaw (in my eyes) will keep this one out of my collection.

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:23 pm

I agree with Noon,Most RPG are going with the close up view I found AOE3 etc really bad with the close up view , but i find this a bit better.

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:27 pm

Sounds like you two have watched the Supreme Commander vid too many times :)

I havent tried the demo yet, might download it over the weekend.

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:09 pm

Noon416 wrote:he he, I know how to play RTS's Mattly... ;p

My criticism was as much a small commentary on how most RTS's are tending towards looking prettier at the sacrifice of showing more units onscreen.

When you can't see what your unit (even rifleman) is firing at without scrolling, I see that as a problem. Especially when the units engagement range is beyond the screen.
I shouldn't have to rely on strategic maps and scrolling when I'm fighting a skirmish across a small bridge...

If someone mods in the ability to zoom out further later on, then I might consider it but for the moment this fatal flaw (in my eyes) will keep this one out of my collection.
Mayb get a bigger monitor ;p
Wah Wah Wah

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:19 pm

lol, Bold, I won't say I'm not biased toward SupCom (and it's predecessor TA) but that doesn't take away from my comments.

Don't need one Snake, my monitor's big enough to break that cheeky, scrawny body of yours. That's all that counts... ;p

To those that haven't played it, I would recommend you try the demo before judging, this style of RTS will suit some people and not others. :)