Company of Heroes Sunday

Life is short. Play more.
Mattly

Company of Heroes Sunday

Post by Mattly » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:01 pm

With COH being released this Friday i'm dead keen on some multiplayer RTS this Sunday. This is the first RTS in ages that can be called a quality experience that shouldn't disappoint. I've enjoyed this type of gaming from right back in the days of Warcraft and Starcraft. We have had numerous Star Wars and Lord of the Rings based RTS games come out, but overall they were very limited and graphically lacking by modern standards. COH will change all that. If you have played the demo you will know what i'm talking about. I buy games only after reading several reviews on the product and generally if the ratings aren't in the 90's I will pass it by. COH has had 17 reviews avg 96% since it's realise in the states 2 weeks ago. That's a higher avg rating than Oblivion and Half-Life 2. So if you like RTS consider this game and join me on Sunday for some WW2 chaos. _b
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:27 pm

This is an awesome game , i have been playing it for the last 2 weeks.

_b _b

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:59 pm

I really like how a multiplayer game offers more than a simple 1 vs 1 type scenario. You get to choose your company type and when playing 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 this can add a whole new element of working as a team. Unfortunately there isn't a Tea Making Company for people like Happy to use. ;p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mattly on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:00 pm

And the ingame graphics, amazing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:01 pm

You look at the picture above and think "yeah that's cool but nothing startling" right? Well what if you zoom in!
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:02 pm

This game allows you to get right in amongst the action. Really cool after you've setup your defences to watch the first wave role in.
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:42 pm

Awesome screenies Mattly! _b

Snake Rogers
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Snake Rogers » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:14 am

Well i got my copy sitting on my desk...6 hours to go :)
Wah Wah Wah

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:21 pm

As do I and Biteme just picked his up. We shall have a multi session tonight if anyone else would like to partake? ;)
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:46 am

Mattly wrote:As do I and Biteme just picked his up. We shall have a multi session tonight if anyone else would like to partake? ;)
So whats the verdict?

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:04 am

Well we weren't going to multiplay on Friday night but by 7pm we were into it. With only 3 playing we had to use one A.I to even the teams. I played on the German side with the A.I set on easy. Biteme and Snake took the Americans and the battles ensued. We stop playing at midnight and i think the other guys enjoyed it as much as I did. I choose to use defense for my first game but after that it was keen on trying some of the cool toys out. My favorites so far are the King Tiger that takes alot to kill and the feared V2 rocket. I pushed back Biteme into a large house in a square and he had it full of snipers and heavy machineguns. I then launched my first V2 rocket and a distinct buzzing noise could be heard across the map as it flys in. You then heaar a splutter as it runs out of gas followed by a moments silence.................then BOOM and the house is no more. Just brilliant. _b . I will do a full report on Sunday night after another day of battles on Sunday. So if your tossing up buying this game please just go get it and enjoy. It ran fine on Bitemes p3.0Ghz with 6800 ultra, but Snake and myself were able to make a coffeee in the time it took to get Bitemes machine to load the map. LOL . I sence an upgrade is not far away for the boy. ;p
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:47 pm

Company of Heroes has ranked No#1 for all PC titles reviewed in the last twelve months. It has had 37 major magazine reviews with an average score of 94%. This title beats out the like of Obilivion, Call of Duty 2 and Halflife 2 episode one.

_b
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:17 pm

sounds like I might have to partake, I've been waiting for a good army type RTS for a while.
What's it like as far as multiplayer games go when you have say, 3 or 4 people in it, what's the netcode like Master Mattly, have you guys given it a good stress test yet? :)
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:37 pm

Mattly wrote:Company of Heroes has ranked No#1 for all PC titles reviewed in the last twelve months. It has had 37 major magazine reviews with an average score of 94%. This title beats out the like of Obilivion, Call of Duty 2 and Halflife 2 episode one.

_b

Seems you trust reviews too much :D

Coh is a awesome game but you shoudnt really compare Coh to FPS etc.

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:15 pm

Liquid wrote:
Mattly wrote:Company of Heroes has ranked No#1 for all PC titles reviewed in the last twelve months. It has had 37 major magazine reviews with an average score of 94%. This title beats out the like of Obilivion, Call of Duty 2 and Halflife 2 episode one.

_b

I dont see at that way Liquid. A reviewer ranks a game by looking at many different factors like how much fun it is to play, storyline, replayability etc. I make most of my game purchases based on what the major magazines recommend. Anyway when are you going to have a game with us? What times in the weekend work for you?
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:19 pm

BAZZIL wrote:sounds like I might have to partake, I've been waiting for a good army type RTS for a while.
What's it like as far as multiplayer games go when you have say, 3 or 4 people in it, what's the netcode like Master Mattly, have you guys given it a good stress test yet? :)
Multiplay is very polished Bazzil. We have played with 4 (incl 1 A.I) and had no real issues. The game trys to reconnect to a player if he lags for any reason and we have had no disco's so far. We are hanging out for more players to join the fray as the current three means someone always gets to play with A.I and the other team blames there loses on the fact. hehe. ;p . Once Extra unlocks my upload next month I should be able to host for upto 6 players, but at the moment 4 players is probably the limit.
speculating on that comment
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:39 pm

This is a link to an rundown on how COH's will perform on your system. Interestingly this is the first game the reviewer has seen a real benefit to game performance by using 2 gig's of ram. I think he cliams a 60% increase in performance which seems pretty amazing? O_o

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6158594/index.html
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:54 pm

Mattly wrote:
Liquid wrote:

_b

I dont see at that way Liquid. A reviewer ranks a game by looking at many different factors like how much fun it is to play, storyline, replayability etc. I make most of my game purchases based on what the major magazines recommend. Anyway when are you going to have a game with us? What times in the weekend work for you?
Well when companys get paid well or get perks for giving a item or review a high score i know not to always trust them.

I read a review and then try demo , if i like the demo i will get the full game, most of the time i dont really care what reviews have to say.

i will finish the SP mode first then try some MP , i will get trashed as iam crap at these MP games.

Maaz

Post by Maaz » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:19 pm

I'm addicted to this game!! have not played anything other than Rfactor and BF2 for the past 6 months or so but this has me hooked.

I like the capture points idea similar to BF2 and how in the campaign mode you carry troops, their experience, terrain damage and created fortifications over in sub-missions.

It reminds me of what a combat mission game would be like if it was real time.

Would be interested in some multi after i've mastered the campaign also.
Last edited by Maaz on Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle32

Post by Eagle32 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:19 pm

One thing in the single player annoyed the crap out of me. You can clear an area, then when you cap a point some germans spawn out of some bushes.

Why oh why they couldn't make them spawn in the german territory you can't see and come out to attack I don't know. Units randomly spawning out od bushes sucks.

But I got the game for the multiplayer anyway so I don't really care. I'll probably never play the single player again after that one brief attempt.
Cop: Are you OK?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda ****ed up in general, so it's hard to gauge.
- Death to Smoochy

Agent X20

Post by Agent X20 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:23 pm

Liquid wrote:i will finish the SP mode first then try some MP , i will get trashed as iam crap at these MP games.
Co-op multi vs AI is the way to go then. Great fun.

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:24 pm

Mattly wrote:This is a link to an rundown on how COH's will perform on your system. Interestingly this is the first game the reviewer has seen a real benefit to game performance by using 2 gig's of ram. I think he cliams a 60% increase in performance which seems pretty amazing? O_o

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6158594/index.html
It depends how the benchmark is measuring the fps and at what rez you run the game.

The most notable "increase" you see when going from 512 / 1GB to 2GB is that you see a massive drop in the numbers of minimum fps.
The game's maximum fps doesn't increase, but as you spend more time at the maximum than before, it seems much faster.

BF2 is another example of how 2GB makes a big difference. When THG showed the performance graphs for 512MB in BF2, there was a lot of dips in the graph.
When they went to 2GB, it was a lot cleaner.

So if the benchmark is reporting the FPS as an average over the whole demo (which it looks like CoH does and most do), then you will see a similar performance boost.

Summarised: 2GB is well worth it if you can afford it.

:)

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:28 pm

Eagle32 wrote:One thing in the single player annoyed the crap out of me. You can clear an area, then when you cap a point some germans spawn out of some bushes.

Why oh why they couldn't make them spawn in the german territory you can't see and come out to attack I don't know. Units randomly spawning out od bushes sucks.

But I got the game for the multiplayer anyway so I don't really care. I'll probably never play the single player again after that one brief attempt.
Yeap thats a poor part of the game, you get most of the points then all of a sudden you base is under attack, when i have 3/4 of the map i should be able to stop my base from getting attacked. Ther is not enough defence i found. (or maybe its just that iam crap)

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:22 pm

I haven't witnessed that myself, but in one mission the enemy come from the behind and sides which is very difficult. I like the idea that you can be surprised though and isn't war about how you are always modifying your strategy. ;p
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:15 pm

We have imported stock arriving this week.

US import should be around the $75-$80 mark
Asian import (English Game) around $50-$60