Games as they should look.

Life is short. Play more.
Mattly

Games as they should look.

Post by Mattly » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:35 pm

Here are a couple of games that are going to be DirectX 10 capable. They look fantastic, but how much grunt will truly be required to run these babies in all their glory.

Firstly this is Crysis the new game from the developers of Farcry. Most people were surprised a the the efficency of the original graphics engine so I expect these kinds of graphics on any mid range DX10 card. We shall see. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:37 pm

Lets not forget FSX from Microsoft. Judging by the demo I think you will need a graphicscard that is powered by nuclear reactor. However if you did have such a card, i dont imagine you would want to play much else. _b
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:46 pm

Here's one for Unbound,

UT2007, is the continuation of a long term series dedicated to cool hardcore multiplayer action. Though as you can see in the second screenshot maybe the singleplayer will be cool to. _b

This look great and I expect a midrange DX10 cared will allow most of the eyecandy to be left on. The Unreal engine utilises alot of your cpu as well as your gpu, Conroe will probably be a good idea. _b
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:54 pm

Alan Wake is a thriller from the guys who brought us MaxPayne. Looks
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:54 pm

The do look good but

They are probably still using some form of pre rendering to get those shots, there is also something that just does not quite look right with all the Crysis screens I have seen.

The top FSX screen is a concept image, the water for one is photoshopped in.

And at the end of the day game play is the most important factor for games (Something that seems to be lacking in modern games), nice graphics are just the icing on the cake.

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:46 pm

It's hard to know as graphics just keep getting better, but the reference to the FSX shot is probably right. If they can render water like that it would be a big leap forward from anything currently on offer. Here's Eve the online game that Eagle and Typhoon play.
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:40 pm

Holy Cow ! :eek:
YouTube videos

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:35 am

Scrunty

Post by Scrunty » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:25 am

XXXXXX----TTTTTTTTTTT-----RRREEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMM

Think I'll be waiting for quad-core conroe by the looks :p
By the time I can afford a new comp DX10 cards and vista should be well out anyway :larf:
Halo Racing

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:48 am

Yer quad core conroe isn't going to do much more than a dual core :) so bombs away if u want to blow ur pingas Scrunts :p heh.
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Scrunty

Post by Scrunty » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:07 pm

I've read one review that says otherwise, was more surposed to be a punt at saying I'm so broke that quad-core will be the standard desktop pc by the time I can afford to upgrade ;p
Halo Racing

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:48 pm

Yer I know Scrunty :) heh.

This from Toms Hardware tho :p
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/10/ ... age14.html
tomshardware wrote: Gaming fans, however, can confidently stick with the Core 2 Duo/Extreme or the legendary Pentium D 805. That's due to a lack of adaptations for four CPUs - in practice, only a maximum of two processors are used in games.
so we may not need to blow all our pingas just yet ;p
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

Scrunty

Post by Scrunty » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:23 pm

With regards to the comments above - the exact same thing was said about dualcore (and really not that long ago at all)
After AMD released there dual-core driver people noted quite a difference, the same with flow through with quadcore soon enough - and once the devs start writing software and games with specific multi-core support things will really ramp up!
Halo Racing

Mattly

Post by Mattly » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:25 pm

just ignore Bazzil Scrunty. He's only trying to wind you up cause everyones sick of his wah wah wah in the motorsport forum. ;p
Master Mattly
Team Voda
I wanna go fast

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:32 pm

The dual core patch only helped with programs that were getting confused over having 2 processors, and probably brought the speed up to what it would be on an equivalent speed single core chip.. One day soon games will hopefully start using that second core :) (and 3rd and 4th)

Scrunty

Post by Scrunty » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:06 pm

*sigh* Oh well... we can only wait.
Halo Racing

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:28 am

BAZZIL wrote:Yer I know Scrunty :) heh.

This from Toms Hardware tho :p
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/10/ ... age14.html
tomshardware wrote: Gaming fans, however, can confidently stick with the Core 2 Duo/Extreme or the legendary Pentium D 805. That's due to a lack of adaptations for four CPUs - in practice, only a maximum of two processors are used in games.
so we may not need to blow all our pingas just yet ;p
Thats actually because Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 are limited to only 2 CPU's (2 Cores) as a Microsoft limitation. If you want to use more, you have to pay more for the software. So Gamers would have no advantage unless they were running hi-end server software, and who can afford that? so Developers just don't bother.

Something for you AMD boys: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909944 Game performance may be poor on a Windows XP-based computer that is using a dual-core processor

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:05 am

Typhoon wrote:Something for you AMD boys: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909944 Game performance may be poor on a Windows XP-based computer that is using a dual-core processor
That also applies to Intel (yes, I know how you like to get your subtle digs in). :p

The article describes how Windows XP spits the dummy when you are running dynamic throttling software for your CPU ("Speedstep" for Intel, "Cool'n'Quiet" for AMD).

Personally, I never run with the throttling software on anyway, as I find there is a small but noticable lag when it throttles the CPU back up again.
The savings in power and temp just aren't worth it.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:28 am

Noon416 wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Something for you AMD boys: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256
That also applies to Intel (yes, I know how you like to get your subtle digs in). :p

The article describes how Windows XP spits the dummy when you are running dynamic throttling software for your CPU ("Speedstep" for Intel, "Cool'n'Quiet" for AMD).

Personally, I never run with the throttling software on anyway, as I find there is a small but noticable lag when it throttles the CPU back up again.
The savings in power and temp just aren't worth it.
I'm running the SpeedStep for my Intel, and I've not yet noticed any slowdown.

Noon416

Post by Noon416 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:27 am

Problem doesn't affect everyone. ;p

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:10 pm

Noon416 wrote:Problem doesn't affect everyone. ;p
no, mostly AMDs :p