Hi Guys

Life is short. Play more.
Blythboat

Hi Guys

Post by Blythboat » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:40 am

I am looking for advise/help regarding VSK3 vs VSK4. Deciding which one to get.
A few questions.
Which sim is the best one to get?.
I am probably more interested in Off-line sailing as my rural internet connection is quite slow. It was hopeless for flying IL2.
Is VSK3 better than VSK4 for off-line sailing? (I get that impresion on reading forums).
How big are the Maps (sailing areas?. Is there ocean racing?.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, help or advise.

Cheers
Bob.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:48 am

Hey M8,

VSK3 was more popular than VSK4, but rather hard to get these days.

Maps are an assortment of sizes, but short 5 minute sails, to large offshore Americas Cup legs, taking quite some time.

Off-line opponents can get rather hard, and there is information around that helps you sail with more effectivly like adjusting settings like trim, and helping with angle of attack, and heal.

When we played over Internet, there were a few guys that were EXTREMELY fast due to there experience, and understanding of all the gauges. But in auto mode, all you have to do is steer the rudder, and change the sail type.

Being a 56k'er you probably could play on-line, as there is less information transmitted compared to IL2. With VSK you just have direction, sail, boats, location, heal, and wind information.
IL2 you have height, position, direction, yaw, pitch, roll, weapons fire, damage for so many players.

Blythboat

Post by Blythboat » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:06 am

Thanks for the fast reply.
VSK hard to get!!!!!!!!. That would explain why a copy on Trade Me went for over $30.00 when gameplanet advertise it for around $10.00, (but none in stock).
That's good news about 56k being able to play on-line. AI opponents tend to get a bit Boring after a while.
Regarding the ocean racing. can you sail a Sydney to Hobart type of race?.
I did sail the original VSK game for a short while. It was quite good.
Looks like I may have to start searching for this title.

Thanks again
Bob.

Andy(NZ)

Post by Andy(NZ) » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:58 pm

Well you can buy VSK4 online and do the download bit... there is a link to buy online and download at another NZ Virtual Skipper site... http://www.vys.co.nz

Online sailing is certainly the way to go. Some clubs will run longer offshore events but you really gotta love sailing to do them ! Sydney Hobarts have been done but they usually are run within VSK clubs and for members only as they take a bit of organising.

Cheers
Andy