The new stockcar 147a

Got something funny or interesting to post? Pop it in here.
MENTL1_CHB

Re: The new stockcar 147a

Post by MENTL1_CHB » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:48 pm

Mean clive!! not long now bro!!!

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Na mate not long at all!
Will have to grow some nads and come race at HB at some point!

Signwriting continuing:
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS
"Closed mouths gather no feet"

Tyrone

Post by Tyrone » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:00 pm

Nice Clive !!!! Not too far away now ;p

MENTL1_CHB

Post by MENTL1_CHB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:11 pm

isnt that ment to say "right turner" ?? :D

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:02 am

I wouldnt want to over promise and under deliver :larf:

Will concentrate on getting it to do laps first, then look at stopping others from completing laps :D
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:48 pm

Got the car weighed yesterday, 1460kg full of gas and ready to race _b
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS

King James

Post by King James » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Shot bro Clive, it has been good to see the progress, I look forward to sometime this season watch you race. Looks great mate _b

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:21 pm

Clive wrote:Got the car weighed yesterday, 1460kg full of gas and ready to race _b
Awesome weight! _b You'll see this slowly creep up throughout the season with patch's here and there ;) .
My Abilities are Only Limited by Those who try to Test Them
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall

hawkins

Post by hawkins » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:23 am

King James wrote:Shot bro Clive, it has been good to see the progress, I look forward to sometime this season watch you race. Looks great mate _b
couldn't have said it better myself .. those in the know realise just how much work is involved and im pretty sure we all need to shout this guy a beer :)
WELLINGTONWILDCATS BRINGING BACK THE BIFF

When life throws you a curve , Slam it down a gear and hit the apex harder !!!!!

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:34 am

Thanks everyone, the comments of support and suggestions have been exceedingly helpful over the past 14 months!
Now let's see how my back holds up, will give it hell and go from there :D
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:42 am

Yeah man as others have already said congratulation's on getting this far! You have not only been a person that has sat on the sidelines and said I want to do this and never gone out an done it! (These people are The dreamers).

You then surpassed "The Dreamers" by purchasing a car.

Then you worked on it! continually getting it closer and closer. Without ever giving up or selling the car (saying you need the money or some other bullshit excuse). All the hard work is done now. All you need to do is go out there and discover yourself! _b

Then no matter what the critic says you are a Legend. You've done better than the critic already. You've got a car, worked on it and got it race ready which is more than those armchair racers can say for themselves. In my eyes the credit goes to the men in the arena and it always will. Congrats _b
Our greatest glory is not that of success, Rather the way we rise after each fall

ford ill do

Post by ford ill do » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:51 am

shot clive,as ive met you and seen the work you get involved in in the pitts at most meetings on other guys cars its nice to see you get ya own set of wheels up and going,cracks a woody for ya as my mrs said it was ok to :B :B wont get back to jaffa land much this season so ill wish you all the luck for your racing,watch out for jnr on the track as he leans alot :B well done mate ,taken awhile but you can be proud of what youve done on the minimal budget youve had to get this car done, }8D }8D

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks guys it has been a hard slog over the past year or so with i dont know and dont want to know how much money and time spent on it! I came close to giving up more than once with financial / back / time / motivation issues but im glad I have seen it through. I can whole heartedly say that (with the help of dad and some mates) I have built a stockcar, which is something not a helluva lot of young fella's can say!
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS

pacman

Post by pacman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:40 am

Without telling us exactly how much its cost (the mrs might find out :p)
What is a round about figure to take the car from where it was to where it is now.

And anyone who races a stocky, what are the weekly costs on average repair (steel,broken parts), gas etc..

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:53 am

pacman wrote:Without telling us exactly how much its cost (the mrs might find out :p)
What is a round about figure to take the car from where it was to where it is now.

And anyone who races a stocky, what are the weekly costs on average repair (steel,broken parts), gas etc..
It really depends how deep your pockets are and what level of modification you want to go to with the engine etc, but at a guess dependant on what you do between $10k and $20k, on top of the chassis purchase. It is a case of everything adding up, thats for sure! the seat was $800 incl padding alone, then you have master cylinders, bell housings, clutches, shortened hq gearbox, alloy radiator, welding consumables etc etc - My advise for newbies is to buy one already done unless you specifically want to build a car, and a complete car makes it easy to modify, you have all the running gear etc. Building mine was a great experience and I know the car inside out though.
Weekly costs at an average would be $40 for gas, about the same in travel towing to and from the track, then I would expect at least a puncture a week so thats $75 tyre / $75 rim if its buggered. Steelwork, incl welding you are looking at about $100 per siderail or thereabouts from memory, but it isnt very often you total a siderail in one week. If it's still attached its good to go :D
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:04 am

That's closer to the top of the range compared to us Clive. But in reality if we didn't have all the parts and tools which we already have we wouldn't be able to afford to race. If we do a steeringbox or snap a stub then we are good to go wack another one in. I cant actually remember the last time we ran brand new tyres on our car. Must have been 91' when Dad went Superstock for a little bit and got hoosiers. You know those tyre piles on farms? Yeah a few have come from them. Our front tyres we get through a good friend of ours at the local tyre shop which are just old cop tyres (still have enough bite in them after you get the tyre groover out).

But starting out, I think you would be pretty close on the money. Especially if your mechanical and engineering knowledge is limited you can expect to pull out your wallet a lot more. Otherwise you could find yourself making up bits yourself. For example Locking a diff, offsetting a diff and offsetting the axles I found out most people take to a machinist? On more than one occasion we have done this ourselves.

Over coming up 24 season's of Stockcar racing, Dad only last year spent the $50,000 dollar on the sport. Yeah, that works out just over $2,000 a season :) .

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:40 pm

A majority of my tyres are used too, but if I buy new they are only cheapies anyway.
Spares are a bit more costly these days too, as I run the commonly used xf falcon stubs / calipers and toyota diff which people seem to charge like a wounded bull for parts. Also as the car already had rose joints throughout I am keeping to the same setup, which can get costly at $70 a rose joint for the larger ones!

There are definately cheaper ways to complete the car, but I chose the medium ground so to speak without going to the big dollar ohallorans, d windows, worked engine, zf or landy box etc etc.

The moral is that it can cost as little or as much as you want, dependant on where you want to go!
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS

King James

Post by King James » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:54 pm

Harding Jr wrote:Over coming up 24 season's of Stockcar racing, Dad only last year spent the $50,000 dollar on the sport. Yeah, that works out just over $2,000 a season :) .
Bruce is one of my heroes, and thats the truth

Chur Clive, hope you can make the NZs or 240s in Rotos as a few KSR will be there, it be worth it :)

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:33 am

Clive wrote:A majority of my tyres are used too, but if I buy new they are only cheapies anyway.
Spares are a bit more costly these days too, as I run the commonly used xf falcon stubs / calipers and toyota diff which people seem to charge like a wounded bull for parts. Also as the car already had rose joints throughout I am keeping to the same setup, which can get costly at $70 a rose joint for the larger ones!

There are definately cheaper ways to complete the car, but I chose the medium ground so to speak without going to the big dollar ohallorans, d windows, worked engine, zf or landy box etc etc.

The moral is that it can cost as little or as much as you want, dependant on where you want to go!
Pretty much what we use as well. Just the basic stuff, HQ gearbox as well. I think you've done everything the right way. Without spending the huge money. Over a few years you will build up spares and racing will become a lot cheaper _b . You will also find ways where you can save money by just talking to people who have a better more efficient way of mounting something, or doing something.

Which reminds me to say, if we are ever at the same track and you need a hand, or need to borrow a part to get back out on the track drop by the trailer and we will see if we can fix you up _b

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:35 am

It will probably be your dad that gives me the need for the spare part :D
Thanks for the offer bud it's appreciated - Will no doubt catch up with you at WP opening _b
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS

tuf_tef_jnr

Post by tuf_tef_jnr » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:57 am

pacman wrote:Without telling us exactly how much its cost (the mrs might find out :p)

also depends how much fun you want to have wrecking it weeek in and week out :B :B :B

just ask rhody game }8D }8D }8D
mean clive cant wait
the battle tanks top come off last night and will be getting a whole lot of remodeling within the next month _b _b _b
Stratford Scrappers Team member 31s
22r Indi League
Stratford Scrappers (C)

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:59 am

Awesome bro - i smell a new thread coming on - the reincarnation of stockcar 9a? _b _b
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:10 am

Clive wrote:It will probably be your dad that gives me the need for the spare part :D
Thanks for the offer bud it's appreciated - Will no doubt catch up with you at WP opening _b
Dad's not one to hit the new guys. But he will give ya rub and try squeeze you up the wall or something. But not out to hurt you or your pocket. Not intentionally anyway ;p .

Yeah Wakapark opening meeting. We should be there with bells on again. Hopefully get more than 6laps practice before jumping straight into teams racing this season :larf:

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:05 am

Harding Jr wrote:
Clive wrote:It will probably be your dad that gives me the need for the spare part :D
Dad's not one to hit the new guys. But he will give ya rub and try squeeze you up the wall or something. But not out to hurt you or your pocket. Not intentionally anyway ;p .

Yeah Wakapark opening meeting. We should be there with bells on again. Hopefully get more than 6laps practice before jumping straight into teams racing this season :larf:
I look forward to it :D Need to get knocked around a bit anyway, it's the only way you get used to it!
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS

Harding Jr

Post by Harding Jr » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:04 pm

That's true! Remember pain is only a temporary sensation _b