Tv Ratings?

Got something funny or interesting to post? Pop it in here.
Mario-C

Tv Ratings?

Post by Mario-C » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:05 pm

No doubt Prom can answer this one.

Tv ratings.
In all my years of watching tv I have never once been surveyed to see what I watch.
I look at some of the high rated shows and think like wtf.

How does this happen?
Do you get a random phone call? something in the mail or can they just see what your sky box is on.
Have any of you guys ever been surveyed?

I want to have my say ;p

Sasquatch

Re: Tv Ratings?

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:53 pm

This is simple Mario...., you are at work when they do the surveys...Therefore they survey senior citizens and the unemployed. And that is why TVNZ airs crap ;) ;p
Admire the fur

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:04 pm

Sasquatch wrote:This is simple Mario...., you are at work when they do the surveys...Therefore they survey senior citizens and the unemployed. And that is why TVNZ airs crap ;) ;p
And why TV3 play the news during Bathurst

vandem
GPL luddite

Post by vandem » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:12 pm

I have done the Roy Morgan ratings survey twice, they give you two booklets, one for weekly TV / radio (you are meant to log every 1/2 hour), one for consumer preferences/ brands etc.

I used it as a chance to "vote" for the media / brands that I liked the most.

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:22 pm

Riven wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:This is simple Mario...., you are at work when they do the surveys...Therefore they survey senior citizens and the unemployed. And that is why TVNZ airs crap ;) ;p
And why TV3 play the news during Bathurst

Yeah, I heard them talking about that on the weekend Riv, what bastards, its only getting to the pointy end off the race. TV3 have been doing a pretty good job up till that.
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:29 pm

From here looks as though a 15 min news break :ffs:

edit

stuff below makes me feel better :)
Last edited by Obsc3ne on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:13 am

TV Ratings. Get done by AGB Nielsen by a randomly selected group (I believe originally sourced from the Electoral Roll). Folks have a box attached to their tv set, they push a button to let the box know they are watching the show, the box phones home overnight and fancy computers spit all the data out as a estimated viewer number and % of audience.

From that, the demographics can be quite specific eg: Males 18-49 years old, seeing how many of them changed channels to watch Shortland Street o_O

Ratings also get read in two ways - sheer numbers (TVNZ) and demographics (TV3). A tv show may have a 10,000 viewers rated as having seen it, and only 3,000 in the 18-49 demographic. TVNZ like the high numbers cause it sounds good, TV3 like the high demographics because it's what advertisers are looking at (not many 5 year olds buy a tv from Noel Leeming for example).

Bathurst
At 6PM there will be a News show (including a news commercial break) for 15 minutes. I'm in the control room doing Bathurst anyway, should a major incident happen I'll be stopping the News and going back to the race coverage. A major incident basically means red flagged race due to a severe crash. We're also continually recording anyway so should stuff happen during the News show I'll be rolling in highlights before rejoining the live coverage. The schedule at the moment has at least one commercial break during the 6.00 - 6.15 time the news will be on, commercial breaks are scheduled and dictated by CH7 throughout the entire race.

Don't bother to phone in and complain, there's zip you can do about it except get your blood pressure high. Eat some food, grab another beer - it's what I'm planning to do.
YouTube videos

Flyboy69

Post by Flyboy69 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:24 am

15 minutes isn't that bad I guess, will it screen on C4 while the news is on?
No, he didnt slam into you, he didnt bump you, he didnt nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbing son, is racing.

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:34 am

Flyboy69 wrote:15 minutes isn't that bad I guess, will it screen on C4 while the news is on?
No, not this time. The decision was made that it was better to keep it all on TV3, incase something happens. Company wasn't too keen to have Bathurst on both TV3 and C4 at the same time :D
YouTube videos

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:05 pm

Prometheus wrote:Don't bother to phone in and complain, there's zip you can do about it except get your blood pressure high. Eat some food, grab another beer - it's what I'm planning to do.
Yes DO complain, if no one complains then the TV3 decision makers (not Prom) will think that everyone is cool with having news during biggest event of the year, and also pretty much right at the race changing time.

Should have just been screened on C4 only IMHO, no interruptions then.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:04 pm

Prometheus wrote:Don't bother to phone in and complain, there's zip you can do about it except get your blood pressure high. Eat some food, grab another beer - it's what I'm planning to do.
is this the best email address to send complaints too?

replies@tv3.co.nz
Admire the fur

Prometheus
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Prometheus » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:47 am

The people who make the decisions aren't there on the weekends and the decision was made some time ago after much thought and discussion, so if you ring in to complain all that will happen is your call will be logged on a computer log by a weekend security guard and displayed on a page somewhere in the bowels of the intranet.

I haven't mentioned the News in Bathurst before due to work confidentiality, etc (translation: didn't want to get lynched by an angry rampaging mob).

On a plus side, I've setup my viewing at work on a 60" projector, not HD but still incredibly sharp. Tested it last night with Apocalypse Now movie and all is good :D

Sas, I'll check today and get back to you.
YouTube videos

Mario-C

Post by Mario-C » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:00 pm

Ok I see..cheers