Meet my brother & check out his sounds

Got something funny or interesting to post? Pop it in here.
stoodlee15b

Meet my brother & check out his sounds

Post by stoodlee15b » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:29 am

PHIL STOODLEY BIOGRAPHY
1 April 2010

Phil Stoodley (born in the Manawatu, New Zealand) is a highly accomplished musician, singer and songwriter with a well established and fast growing reputation in the New Zealand music scene. He has an infectious sound that has been compared to Jeff Buckley, Radiohead and the Manic Street Preachers.
Phil’s musical career was launched as the result of a bizarre twist of fate. His father received a small windfall at the races and decided to share the winnings with his two sons. Phil’s brother received a wristwatch and Phil was given an acoustic guitar. Seeking the help of a close friend, who was already a keen guitar player, Phil’s obsession with music began and he could be found practicing in the corner of his room for hours each day. He also took considerable inspiration from his grandfather who was a respected jazz guitarist.
While many of his peers focused on a single discipline, Phil quickly deveolpoed interest in other instruments so moved to learn the piano, drums, bass; almost any instrument he could get his hands on. This has led Phil to write a diverse array of musical arrangements in many different styles. Phil’s early work was an underlying power that remains true to his rock and roll roots, but in more recent years his music has developed a warmer more laid back sound.
The launch of Phil’s career came with the formation of his first band Silent Scream in his teenage years, where Phil played the guitar and wrote much of the music. They recorded a punk-love song entitled, “I hate you bitch”, which was later picked up for a commercial compilation album. Following that Phil was a member of several other bands including Stoods (2002) and Valiant Hum (2007). Phil has also played as a guitarist for The Feelers, and more recently he has been co-writing and recording an album with emerging artist Hanna Grace.
In early 2010 Phil released the single Waiting for Thursday. The song was co-written by Leighton Cardno (writter and ex Shortland St actor) and was the result of an intensive 24 hour creative session fueled by red wine and cigarettes. The alcohol enduced musical creation carries a haunting sound and captures the essence of the cruel sting of an icy wind and the foreboding sense of change when leaves start to fall in Autumn – when the sun is slower to rise and hovers just a little lower in the sky and time seems to lag just a fraction slower.

Phil conitinues to live his lifelong passion for creating and performing music. He has performed worldwide and has played with some of New Zealands most talented musicians, including James Reid (The Feelers), Jason Kerrison (Opshop), Neil Finn and Greg Johnson to name a few. He draws on these life experiences and injects them into his first solo album that he is currently working on.
Look for the name ‘Phil Stoodley” and listen for his infectionsly haunting and orignianl sound found in the debut single “Waiting for Thursday”, and later in early 2011 with the release of his Solo album.
Check out the music video for “Waiting For Thursday” @ www.philstoodley.com

For more information, contact:

Radio and TV Media
Grant Hislop
Email: grant@harkmusic.co.nz
Phone: 021 483 524 (NZ)

All Other enquiries
Phil Stoodley
Phone: 021 687 452 (NZ)
Email: philstoodley@gmail.com
Stoods

stoodlee15b

Re: Meet my brother & check out his sounds

Post by stoodlee15b » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:14 am

My brothers phils on Pacific Beat on tv3 11.30 today....musician been around in Auckland for awhile playing pubs etc...
Stoods