help with school project

Got something funny or interesting to post? Pop it in here.
9saldana

help with school project

Post by 9saldana » Wed May 12, 2010 5:56 pm

hey guys need some help. for graphics in year 13 we have to do a engineering brief and i have decided to design a radical new stockcar wing. any help please?
cheers 9saldana
Stratford Scrappers 37s
52a indy league
2nd 2010 SCH East Coast Champs

Corrin24g

Re: help with school project

Post by Corrin24g » Thu May 13, 2010 12:07 am

ive always wanted a lightning bolt shaped wing

9saldana

Post by 9saldana » Fri May 14, 2010 8:57 pm

any more ideas guys they will help my project
Stratford Scrappers 37s
52a indy league

Bull

Post by Bull » Fri May 14, 2010 9:01 pm

What part of it do you need help with? The Brief? Wing Concept Ideas?

9saldana

Post by 9saldana » Fri May 14, 2010 9:19 pm

just ideas on wat u guys would want improvments on a wing and any ideas for wings. and also any help with aerodynamics, materials.
Stratford Scrappers 37s
52a indy league

Terminator-141d

Post by Terminator-141d » Fri May 14, 2010 10:15 pm

9saldana wrote:just ideas on wat u guys would want improvments on a wing and any ideas for wings. and also any help with aerodynamics, materials.
maybe multi teired wing ??

stainless or sumthing shiney
-----Edwards Racecars-----
:cflag: 94d Otago Cougars Captain 2010 :cflag:
:cflag: 77w KSS Club Championship 2010 :cflag:

Bull

Post by Bull » Sat May 15, 2010 9:33 am

Well for starters, you could do a part on all different materials - Carbon Fibre, FibreGlass, Alloy, Stainless Steel etc and list the advantages and disadvantages of each.

You could also do different size/shape wings, etc

If you want to try and go for excellence, in your brief include somewhere about the SNZ Rules and the rules that a Superstock Wing has to follow..

9saldana

Post by 9saldana » Sat May 15, 2010 11:41 am

cheers bull got a few of those covered already
Stratford Scrappers 37s
52a indy league

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon May 17, 2010 12:16 pm

Terminator-141d wrote:
9saldana wrote:just ideas on wat u guys would want improvments on a wing and any ideas for wings. and also any help with aerodynamics, materials.
maybe multi teired wing ??

stainless or sumthing shiney
Multi tiered wings are not allowed, chris allen and Peter Drake both had them and they were disallowed. Unsure if this would be of relevance in the assignment though :)

Maybe try a wing that is easily repaired, or has strategically mounted hinges to help reduce damage when going up a wall or onto it's side?
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS
"Closed mouths gather no feet"

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Mon May 17, 2010 12:19 pm

What about a wing that is adjustable in the cockpit during a race.

get into a race and you start to become really loose due to an overheated tire, just use a mechanism to crank up some wing angle and free down-force, visa versa if you seem to have mechanical grip and need straight line speed

All this assuming it doesn't already exist

Could also incorperate a F-duct they've started using in F1, down the straights they use the device to stall the air to the back wing, reducing drag and increasing speed, they just dis-engage the device when it is time for downforce again through the turns

34phuggies34p

Post by 34phuggies34p » Mon May 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Obsc3ne wrote:What about a wing that is adjustable in the cockpit during a race.

get into a race and you start to become really loose due to an overheated tire, just use a mechanism to crank up some wing angle and free down-force, visa versa if you seem to have mechanical grip and need straight line speed

Sprintcar use this allready, prity efective too

What about a Tunnel (Like a funell) For forced air induction, or even use the same concept to cool down a drive-train part. Moving air is allways cooler then still air ;) Or even a front wing like Sprintcars use?

Good luck with your Project. Let us know how you go. _b
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

HumbleRacing

Post by HumbleRacing » Mon May 17, 2010 4:23 pm

Obsc3ne wrote:What about a wing that is adjustable in the cockpit during a race.

Could also incorperate a F-duct they've started using in F1, down the straights they use the device to stall the air to the back wing, reducing drag and increasing speed, they just dis-engage the device when it is time for downforce again through the turns
if your gonna follow the snz ruels i dunno what it says but i don't think you could do that as i know minisprints aren't allowed adjustable wings as its deemed as out side assistants and tbh ive never seen any superstock or stock drivers change the pitch of there wing if they tried different things they would be surpried what the down force can do (:

9saldana

Post by 9saldana » Mon May 17, 2010 4:44 pm

cheers 4 the feedback guys this is very valuable research guys. that f1 airduct sounds mean may try. also may use that idea of changing the wing angle bit dont think thats legal but teacher said it dosent have to be fully legal. was also thinking of having some sort of air grills on the side panels to improve airflow will this help?
cheers 9saldana
Stratford Scrappers 37s
52a indy league

HumbleRacing

Post by HumbleRacing » Mon May 17, 2010 7:26 pm

if your looking for a wing thats for down force i reckon mend that you do one like this its a sprint car and try a removable wick

Terminator-141d

Post by Terminator-141d » Mon May 17, 2010 7:39 pm

yeah i dont think stockcars are aloud adjustable wings either
-----Edwards Racecars-----
:cflag: 94d Otago Cougars Captain 2010 :cflag:
:cflag: 77w KSS Club Championship 2010 :cflag:

HumbleRacing

Post by HumbleRacing » Mon May 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Terminator-141d wrote:yeah i dont think stockcars are aloud adjustable wings either
i never seen them changed lol so whats the point of adjustable ay lol

Dossy

Post by Dossy » Wed May 19, 2010 11:42 am

Just a quick question and thought...

How much effect so to speak does w wing make to a 1400 -1500kg stockcar?? surely its more advertising purposes than anything??

Good luck bro hope all is going well
Making A Return Every 2 Months Since Ages Ago!

Current Holder Of NO Titles Or Acomplishments!

krusty

Post by krusty » Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 pm

You would be suprised as to how much effect a wing has on a car. Chucky ran his car without one for a bit and looked to have all sorts of handling probs.
I know that when we were running the minisprint (a few years ago now), we had a narrow wing to start with and then changed to one that was the largest legal one we could find. The difference was like night and day! So much more stable.
Just a happy old fart with a G25
If you cant pass them...Hit them...Hard

34phuggies34p

Post by 34phuggies34p » Wed May 19, 2010 6:11 pm

Dossy wrote:Just a quick question and thought...

How much effect so to speak does w wing make to a 1400 -1500kg stockcar?? surely its more advertising purposes than anything??

Good luck bro hope all is going well
1500 kg stockcar with a double wing thats about 80cm x 100 cm practicly at th very rear of the Stockcar, going 120 k/ph.

If the wing is angled on a 30 Degre angle then its adding 39.2195 Kilos of Weight over the rear wheels keeping it lot more stable
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed May 19, 2010 6:15 pm

The wing would only really be making much difference down the straight and going into the corner, I don't think it would effect traction coming out of the corner. Only wings I can really see making much difference are ones like Hemi has on his car

HumbleRacing

Post by HumbleRacing » Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm

krusty wrote:You would be suprised as to how much effect a wing has on a car. Chucky ran his car without one for a bit and looked to have all sorts of handling probs.
I know that when we were running the minisprint (a few years ago now), we had a narrow wing to start with and then changed to one that was the largest legal one we could find. The difference was like night and day! So much more stable.
these days its still the same apart from there light weight and have a golf ball effect wich is kool and much larger wicks (:

9saldana

Post by 9saldana » Wed May 19, 2010 8:22 pm

cheers 4 the help guys as i have said this is valuable research and help for me. just need some help though on info on existing stockcar wings eg wat r they made of, different models, how they are mounted to the chassis etc.
cheers 9saldana
Stratford Scrappers 37s
52a indy league

34phuggies34p

Post by 34phuggies34p » Wed May 19, 2010 8:40 pm

Usualy made out of Aliminum and mounted with 1" Tubing or 25x25mm RHS Steal

ben62w

Post by ben62w » Wed May 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Lol google is definatly your mate tonight jay hahaha :D
VC Stratford Scrappers 41s 2010 Season 2.
Indi league champ of champs 2010 62w
Best pairs winner 2010 Miller racing 62w & 22w

34phuggies34p

Post by 34phuggies34p » Wed May 19, 2010 10:41 pm

ben62w wrote:Lol google is definatly your mate tonight jay hahaha :D
I got out 1 of my old course books to remember the equation for aero dynamics (I did a course in Level 2 Motorsport Engineering thankyou very much ben you smart ass haha