No All Whites Thread Yet?

Got something funny or interesting to post? Pop it in here.
Ugmo

Re: No All Whites Thread Yet?

Post by Ugmo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:12 am

The dutch have made 2 finals in 1974 and 1978, they lost both. Trust me I work with an avid Football fan who is a Dutchie, Spain have never made a final, they are one of the under achievers in World Football.

I would like to see the Dutch win as I have always supported them and England but I wouldnt be worried if Spain won as they have more Liverpool and Ex-Liverpool players in there squad than the Dutch. Either way it will no doubt be a cracker of a game.
Radioshack/Livestrong Racing 10gb
Team GB with Cottie, PnPete, Fangin_it and Metal666
Also the greatest driver never to win anything at KSR ever

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:15 pm

ugmo wrote:The dutch have made 2 finals in 1974 and 1978, they lost both. Trust me I work with an avid Football fan who is a Dutchie, Spain have never made a final, they are one of the under achievers in World Football.
Spain had never made the semis before either. But have been underachieving for a long time.

But Bull, Spain won the Euros in 1964, Netherlands in 1988.
ugmo wrote:I would like to see the Dutch win as I have always supported them and England but I wouldnt be worried if Spain won as they have more Liverpool and Ex-Liverpool players in there squad than the Dutch.
Only when you count ex-Liverpool players too, else they're equal:
Netherlands: Babel, Kuyt
Spain: Torres, Reina
Ex-Liverpool Spaniards: Arbeloa, Xabi Alonso
"If he gets any wider, he'll be racing in the carpark!" - Aaron Drever

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:02 pm

Germany 3 - 2 Uruguay

3rd and 4th playoff is always a good watch and this match as just like the others.

Paul the Octopus was right once again so has a 100% record for his World Cup predictions. His first non-Germany prediction is the final where it has picked Spain to win.

Final is tomorrow morning, kick off at 6.30am.

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:49 pm

My team of the tournament:

Code: Select all

Iker Casillas (SPA)

Philipp Lahm (GER)  Diego Lugano (URU)  Lúcio (BRA)  Fábio Coentrão (POR)

Xavi (SPA)    Schweinsteiger (GER)

Thomas Müller (GER)    Wesley Sneijder (NED)     David Villa (SPA)

Diego Forlan (URU)
And some that nearly made it (pretty much a 2nd XI):
Eduardo (Portugal)

Fucile (Uruguay)
Puyol (Spain)
Alcaraz (Paraguay)
van Bronckhorst (Netherlands)

Pérez (Uruguay)
Honda (Japan)
Donovan (USA)
Özil (Germany)

Vittek (Slovakia)
Klose (Germany)

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:41 am

SPAIN!!!!!

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:58 am

And big transfer news regarding Shane Smeltz...

Soccer: World Cup ace Smeltz departs A-League
NZ Herald wrote:SYDNEY - The A-League has lost its most prolific goal scorer with All Whites striker Shane Smeltz securing a move from Gold Coast United to Chinese club Shandong Luneng.

Gold Coast yesterday announced they had agreed to sell the New Zealand international for an undisclosed fee after a host of clubs had been circling for his services.

Smeltz has been among the A-League's best strikers since making his debut for Wellington in 2007, netting 40 goals in 65 appearances.

The 28-year-old's move followed an impressive campaign for New Zealand at the World Cup in South Africa, where he scored in the 1-1 draw with reigning champions Italy.

Smeltz flies to China today for his medical before joining Shandong, who sit third in the Chinese Super League after 10 matches.

"I am looking forward to the new challenge at this stage in my career," said Smeltz, who netted 19 goals in United's debut season to easily win the league's golden boot honours.

"But I am also sad to leave and will be watching out for Gold Coast's results; they will always be a club that is close to me."

United coach Miron Bleiberg said: "We wish Shane all the luck in the world with this move to China and although we are keen to bring in a replacement, we will not be making any hasty decisions.

"Shane did a great job for us, but this transfer was not entirely unexpected and now we have to move on with our preparation."

Smeltz played with Mansfield Town, Wimbledon and Halifax Town before joining the Phoenix. He was the A-League's Golden Boot in 2008 and 2009.

- AAP

Tyrone

Post by Tyrone » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Dammit , I really wanted the Netherlands to win :o

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:24 pm

All Whites coach Ricki Herbert staying put
Stuff.co.nz wrote:Football's man of the moment Ricki Herbert is sticking with both the Wellington Phoenix and the All Whites.

Herbert announced his decision to continue his dual coaching roles at a press conference in Wellington this afternoon.

He will extend his contract with the Wellington Phoenix for three years.

"I'd love to go better, why can't this club go to a grand final?," Herbert said.

Talks are ongoing with New Zealand Football about his role with the All Whites, however the coach said he was keen to aim for the next Football World Cup in Brazil.

He will stay in New Zealand for at least three more years.

Herbert confirmed he received a pay increase with his new contract, but conceded he was probably still the lowest paid national team coach.

He said he "had a few" offers from overseas, including approaches from top level club teams in Europe, Asia and Africa.

Speculation has swirled around the 49-year-old coach's future since New Zealand bowed out of the World Cup with unlikely draws against Italy, Paraguay and Slovakia.

The All Whites ended up in the unlikely position as the only unbeaten team.

Football is enjoying a surge of popularity in New Zealand after the World Cup, and success by the Wellington Phoenix.

Herbert has previously hinted at overseas interest in his services.

His contract with the All Whites expired after the World Cup but he has a season to run on his Phoenix deal.

The Phoenix kick off their A-League campaign at home to Gold Coast United on August 13.
Herbert to continue dual coaching role
ESPN Soccernet wrote:Ricki Herbert has turned his back on lucrative club offers from Europe, Asia and Africa to extend his contract with the Wellington Phoenix until the end of the 2012-13 A-League season.

Herbert will also continue in his role as coach of the All Whites with discussions between New Zealand Football (NZF) and the Phoenix ongoing after an agreement in principle was reached between the coach and NZF chairman Frank van Hattum.

"New Zealand Football are happy to continue on with a partnership between the Phoenix and the national team and I've agreed to continue on for the next period up to the next World Cup," Herbert said.

"There is just some fine-tuning that the chairman here (Phoenix owner Terry Serepisos) and the chairman of New Zealand Football need to do.

"I've sat down with the chairman and had a conversation with Terry and there is an agreement to carry on with the national team. We will confirm what that length of contract will be but certainly leading towards Brazil 2014.''

Herbert said the decision to remain in Wellington had not been an easy one but that Serepisos and the continuing opportunity to raise the profile of football in New Zealand even further had been big drawcards.

"(The success the Phoenix and the All Whites have had) wouldn't have happened without a vision and that vision has been very strong and very structured and we've realised a lot of people's dreams and we want to keep on realising people's dreams,'' he said.

"The Kiwi kid is very strong in me. It's a delicate time for my family and the age they are and what they are doing. At the end of the day it's not all about money for me. Things offshore can be a little bit more attractive but I've weighed that up with where I think we can take the game.''

Serepisos admitted he was delighted to keep the coach on board.

"He had a lot of options but he decided to stay here and show his loyalty and I appreciate that very much,' he said.'
Good news that he's staying put and continuing as All Whites coach but bad news that he hasn't had a offer appealing enough from overseas that his coaching deserved.

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:35 pm

Parade for All Whites to celebrate achievements
NZ Herald wrote:Some of New Zealand's soccer World Cup heroes the All Whites and their coach Ricki Herbert will be celebrated at a parade through central Wellington on July 21.

The All Whites will be joined by players from the Wellington Phoenix and the Argentinean club Boca Juniors ahead of their friendly game at Westpac Stadium on July 23.

Prime Minister John Key will wave the team off from Parliament's forecourt at 12.30pm. They will make their way down Lambton Quay, Willis Street and Mercer Street before being met by Mayor Kerry Prendergast and Mr Key in Civic Square.

Fans will be able to get autographs of their favourite players after the parade. Non-Wellington All Whites Ivan Vicelich and Aaron Clapham have confirmed their attendance and US-based Simon Elliott is flying in from the United States.

Ms Prendergast said the parade was a celebration of the All Whites success and a chance for people to come and cheer their football heroes.

"Their World Cup finals story began in earnest in Wellington when they beat Bahrain at the Stadium last November," she said.

"So it's fitting that their journey finishes here with a welcome-home parade and celebration of their journey. It really has been a great year for New Zealand football."

New Zealand Football chief executive Michael Glading said the team would go down in history as one of New Zealand's greatest sporting stories.

"To head away to a World Cup as the underdogs and come home undefeated is an incredible achievement; they have made a mark - not only in New Zealand but throughout the world, and we should all be very proud of their performance."

- NZPA
Anyone in Wellington - get your ass to this parade and cheer for the team. :)

All Whites soar up world rankings
Stuff.co.nz wrote: The All Whites' unbeaten run at the World Cup has seen them soar 24 spots up the world football rankings to 54th but still short of their best of 42nd in 2002.

New Zealand, who finished 22nd at the World Cup, were the biggest movers in the new Fifa rankings released today after Spain took the spoils in the final on Monday morning (NZ time).

Spain replaced Brazil at the top of the rankings with the former world No 1 slipping to third, behind beaten World Cup finalists, the Netherlands, who rose two spots to second.

France, the 1998 world champions, slipped 12 places to 21st while Italy, who drew 1-1 with New Zealand and finished bottom of their World Cup group matches, fell six places to 11th.

Surprise semifinalists Uruguay were another big mover, jumping 10 spots to sixth.

Paraguay, who topped New Zealand's group, moved to 16th from 31st.

New Zealand earned 1-1 draws with Slovakia and Italy and 0-0 in their final group match with Paraguay.

Leading world rankings: Spain 1, Netherlands 2, Brazil 3, Germany 4, Argentina 5, Uruguay 6, England 7, Portugal 8, Egypt 9, Chile 10, Italy 11, Greece 12, USA and Serbia 13 equal, Croatia 15, Paraguay 16, Russia 17, Switzerland 18, Slovenia 19, Australia 20.

Also: New Zealand 54.
54th is a fair ranking for us as our only victory was against Serbia (friendly before the world cup) but our three draws helped give the jump to 54th. I don't see us beating 42nd for a long time - that was more or less a result of the screwed FIFA rankings but if we keep up the good results and qualify for the 2014 World Cup, we can solidify a strong top 50 spot.

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:38 pm

All White Shane Smeltz bails on Chinese contract
Stuff.co.nz wrote:All Whites striker Shane Smeltz will return to A-League football club Gold Coast United just five days into his two-year contract with Chinese Super League club Shandong Luneng.

The Gold Coast Bulletin reported today that Smeltz had decided it would be impossible for wife Nikki and his two children to settle in Jinan, 400km south of Beijing.

Gold Coast announced last Sunday they had agreed to sell the New Zealand international to Shandong, who sit third in the Chinese Super League after 10 matches, reportedly for $300,000.

Smeltz has been among the A-League's best strikers since making his debut for Wellington Phoenix in 2007, netting 40 goals in 65 appearances. He scored 19 goals in United's debut season to easily win the league's golden boot honours.

The 28-year-old's move to China followed an impressive campaign for New Zealand at the World Cup in South Africa, where he scored in the 1-1 draw with reigning champions Italy.

A Football Federation Australia source confirmed yesterday that since Smeltz's international transfer clearance form was never dispatched by United, he is free to rejoin them.

Smeltz will be free to play for United in their season opener against Brisbane Roar on August 8.

Gold Coast's boss Clive Palmer yesterday told the Bulletin there had been "an issue" for Smeltz in China and he was returning home.

"We are hopeful of retaining him for the coming season... as things stand, we don't believe we have transferred him and it doesn't look like we will be either," Palmer said.

Smeltz played with Mansfield Town, Wimbledon and Halifax Town in England prior to joining the Phoenix.
Shane Smeltz still to resolve football future
Stuff.co.nz wrote: All Whites striker Shane Smeltz is back "home" on the Gold Coast, though a return to the A-League is yet to be confirmed after his brief flirtation with Chinese Super League club Shandong Luneng.

Smeltz returned to Australia last night just five days into a two-year contract with Shandong, aware Gold Coast United are keen to re-sign him.

The 28-year-old still has to formalise his future, a potentially tricky process involving Shandong, Gold Coast United, Australia's Professional Footballers Association and Football Federation Australia.

Smeltz, who enhanced his reputation when playing all three games for New Zealand at the World Cup in South Africa, reportedly signed a $500,000 deal with Shandong.

But after spending a couple of days in Shandong's home base at Jinan - 400km south of Beijing - Smeltz realised it would be too much to ask his wife Nikki and two small children to relocate.

Smeltz had a $300,000 buyout clause in his Gold Coast contract, which Shandong is understood to have paid.

Gold Coast believe Smeltz is free to rejoin them immediately because the club had not sent off his international clearance form to complete the transfer.

It is hoped Smeltz's status will be clarified this week.

Gold Coast announced last Sunday they had reluctantly agreed to sell Smeltz, one of the A-League's most prolific strikers.

Club owner Clive Palmer yesterday said he was hopeful of retaining Smeltz for the upcoming 2010-11 season which starts for the Gold Coast against Brisbane Roar on August 8.

Smeltz debuted for the Wellington Phoenix in 2007, netting 40 goals in 65 appearances.

He scored 19 goals in United's inaugural campaign in 2009-10 to easily win the league's golden boot honours for the second successive season.

Smeltz played with Mansfield Town, Wimbledon and Halifax Town in England prior to joining the Phoenix.

He had previously been linked English Premier League club Fulham while moves to Germany, Turkey, Qatar and Japan were also rumoured.

Meanwhile, although Smeltz quickly cooled on the prospect of furthering his career in China, World Cup teammate Ivan Vicelich has signed a four-month contract with Shenzhen Ruby FC.

Vicelich, 33, will return to play for Auckland City in the NZFC when the Chinese season ends in mid-November, but international rules governing professionals playing in amateur leagues means he will miss about six games as he serves a 30-day stand-down period.
This Shane Smeltz stuff is getting quite stupid really - of course his family were never going to like it in China as none of them speak Chinese and they wanted to move to the Gold Coast only 18 months ago.

But good news for Ivan Vicelich (stuff in bold). _b

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:24 pm

World Cup All White hangs up his shirt
Stuff.co.nz wrote: In terms of career highs, Andy Barron reckons he'd struggle to top a World Cup draw with Italy and a souvenir shirt from one of their stars.

So he has retired from all football and will stroll to work today as Andy Barron, senior operations administrator at Westpac, farewelling his days as a global media phenomenon.

"It was always my intention [to retire] after the World Cup, so I went in knowing that. I thought, `Why not go out on a high?' I'm 30 this year so it's as good a time as any," he said.

"It's everyone's dream, and to say I played in it now is just a huge thing that will always be there, that I can tell the grandkids about. It was just a massive time; awesome to be a part of it."

Barron returned from his magic carpet ride in South Africa with golden memories and a prized footballing possession: Italian defender Gianluca Zambrotta's shirt.

All Whites coach Ricki Herbert injected the midfielder – who made headlines as the only amateur at the tournament – for the final four minutes of their 1-1 draw with Italy.

Barron found himself standing next to the veteran defender at the final whistle. "I thought it would be prudent to ask for his shirt. That's a brilliant one to get. He's a top player and had a great career.

"I didn't know if he spoke English, so I just said `Shirt? Yep, cool.' I just said, `Best of luck for the rest of your games,' and he said the same back."

The shirt will be framed and will take pride of place on Barron's wall.

And when Barron says retirement, he means retirement. Not even the tempting offers to chug though the Memorial Park mud for Petone in midwinter will see him lace up the boots again.

"They have called several times but I went and watched them and it just doesn't look fun on those paddocks, the way they are in Wellington at the moment."

Barron's announcement was greeted with surprise by some, but he said the decision was a no-brainer.

He had time for nothing other than work and football in the past year so will look forward to spending more time with partner Christine Tofts, his family, and renew friendships he has "neglected".

Having taken 10 weeks' leave last year and nearly another 10 so far this year, he wants to repay his employers in his role overseeing a $1billion investment portfolio.

"They've been brilliant to me. I owe it to them to crack into my career now."

It's been a wild ride since the November night last year when the All Whites toppled Bahrain in Wellington to reach the World Cup finals. Barron had no idea that The Dominion Post's photo of him ironing his shirt before returning to work would catapult his name around the world.

"I really didn't think it was a big deal. We'd had two nights out after the game and I woke up literally five minutes before that photo was taken. The photographer rang and said, `I'm just about here' and I was still in bed. The photo went all around the world. It just went crazy."

It saw him interviewed by a major Italian television station in South Africa, other European networks, and feature in print stories in Britain, Australia and the United States.

For now he is awaiting his cut of the team's Fifa payout for reaching the finals, and potentially working towards a coaching career.

And he isn't the only All White to confirm his post-World Cup retirement at the weekend.

Goalkeeper and fellow Wellingtonian James Bannatyne, 34, will hang up his boots after playing his 100th game for Petone this weekend.
Since both players had jobs outside of football, it seems logical for them to both retire and end their careers on a high note (especially as Barron would only have a small chance of making the All Whites in four years time).

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Glen Moss to replace Jess Van Strattan
Goldcoast.com.au wrote:GOLD Coast United have moved swiftly to replace departed keeper Jess Van Strattan with Melbourne Victory's New Zealand international shot-stopper Glen Moss agreeing to a two-year contract at Skilled Park.

Moss, who played his formative football on the Gold Coast and went to school in Palm Beach, was first targeted by coach Miron Bleiberg when he was with Wellington Phoenix back in 2008 before United's focus switched to Van Strattan.

But when he became available again this week, Bleiberg didn't hesitate to snap up the 27-year-old who lost his spot at the Victory to young gun Mitch Langarak after 14 games of last season.

It became clear Moss had no long-term future in coach Ernie Merrick's plans when he Michael Petkovic was signed as the No.1 when Langarak departed for Germany three months ago.

''Glen is the perfect signing for us,'' said coach Miron Bleiberg. ''Jess has gone back to his roots with the Central Coast Mariners and Glen is coming back to his roots with us.

''He's a solid A-League keeper who would have been at the World Cup for New Zealand had he not been suspended and I'm very happy to give him a chance to flourish here.''
Wasn't first choice at Melbourne Victory so good move for Moss. _b

Naki

Post by Naki » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Obviously no1 cares anymore Aaza ;p

ben62w

Post by ben62w » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:40 pm

lol had to be said haha
VC Stratford Scrappers 41s 2010 Season 2.
Indi league champ of champs 2010 62w
Best pairs winner 2010 Miller racing 62w & 22w

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Phoenix play Boca Juniors tonight, 7.30pm kick off and the game's on Sky Sport 2.

And Naki & Ben, when only about 5 people post on off-topic who are ones that don't like football and post either about Metallica love or in the joke thread, ofc you'll see a lack of interest about football.

Munis

Post by Munis » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Aaza i love football but all your quoting is stuff from other websites lol.......

I will be watching the nix game tonight though
47c Individual League