RIP Derek Hill- Kiwi_nz

Got something funny or interesting to post? Pop it in here.
superdd

Re: RIP Derek Hill- Kiwi_nz

Post by superdd » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:37 pm

Have just logged back into the forum after a long absence and found this tragedy.

My deepest condolences to the family and to all who have raced with Kiwi for a long time, especially the long serving members.

CoffoNZ

Post by CoffoNZ » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:25 pm

Thought you guys would like to see the other side of Derek(Kiwi_NZ)Hill.
Heres a link to a slideshow put up on youtube by his partners sister.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWO6niv8aQ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:11 pm

Thanks Coffo, it is so cool to see this side of Derek. As a father of three myself the pics and video of Derek with his child bought a tear to my eye, there is no words to describe the loss for his family and close friends.
Inspector

---

Jetboy

Post by Jetboy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:10 pm

Quite the hard video to watch, definately shows that not a day was wasted in the time he had.
Still seems kinda surreal that we'll not see Kiwi on the virtual racetrack....and as with everyone else my condolances to his family and friends around NZ

Mike

Skuzzlebutt
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Skuzzlebutt » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:06 pm

Thanks Coffo. Like Inspector I'm also a dad and when you see things like this happen you can't help but think of your own kids. It just rips my heart out every time seeing those pics.
Don't make me destroy you.

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:25 pm

A very touching video tribute.I could not imagine what Derek's family is going through after this tragic loss.
NZ STOCKCAR MODELS
"Closed mouths gather no feet"

krunch

Post by krunch » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:47 pm

I hope its OK to post here after all this time, but I have only just found out about this.

I am truly saddened by the news of Derek's death and I feel aweful that none of us at Team ORSM even knew he was gone for so long after his passing. He was working on the Surfers Paradise track and he tended to disappear for a while then pop back up. It's hard to imagine that he won't pop back up on our team forum soon with a progress report.

Derek was the guy who pretty much brought Team ORSM into existence, back in the days of the old SimBin forum. He saw the potential of Mojoman's car models and the contributions others were making back then and got the ball rolling to create the V8 MOD Team which of course later became Team ORSM. I've always considered him one of the founders and it was he who I contacted when I asked to join the team soon after the original beta MOD for F1C was released. I chatted many a time with him via MSN text chats. I never met Derek face to face but I always hoped I would.

On behalf of Team ORSM I would like to offer my condolances and best wishes to Derek's partner, kids, family and friends. We also want to say how important he was to the team and to the modding community in general. He provided the spark that ignited the whole V8 modding effort over the past 6 years and that's a legacy to be incredibly proud of.

The team is now considering ways to commemorate him in our work.

Rest in peace Derek,

Neil (krunch)

Nodnerb

Post by Nodnerb » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:41 am

Neil,

After reading your post, I must admit to feeling a bit stink. I had seen Derek credited or involved in a number of mods, including V8factor and Teretonga, but had assumed that with such a tight communiity you would have known. It had not occured to me until reading your post that others outside of KSR would not hear of this sad news.

At KSR we have named our last two leagues in his honour. Personally I never knew Derek, and only raced with him a handful of times however, also being a father with small children, I am struck with sadness each week, with how his life was cut short, everytime I look at the title of the new race thread.

It is admirable that you are looking at ways to commemorate him, and I am sure that everyone here would be more than happy to help out or offer assistance wherever required to help you achieve this.

Brendon

BAZZIL
Boom Boom !

Post by BAZZIL » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:44 am

wow, I never knew Derek had so much to do with ORSM, I don't think he ever mentioned it over here. We would have popped over to your forums had we known :)
Boom Boom !
If ya don't know what to do, Don't ask Snake Wogers, he's got no idea.

krunch

Post by krunch » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:57 pm

Please don't feel bad guys. Its probably due to Derek's own modesty that his contributions to sim racing and modding may not be widely known. At Team ORSM we are doing a bit of soul searching as its clear we have become somewhat fragmented. Hopefully we can all help make the community more aware of Derek's achievements with our commorative efforts.

CoffoNZ

Post by CoffoNZ » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:23 pm

Heres a link to some shots of Dereks final race.

http://www.sportpromedia.com/events/200 ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey all, I am at Dereks place frequently, as they live around the corner from me, and also know he was working on Surfers.
I Know he hadn't finished it, but I have access to all his files and such(and there is s*#tloads as he has 3 PC's),is there a way someone may be able to get his track out there, as he put a lot of time into it, he even based his holiday with Tia around the track area to gather photos and info.

Yes, he was a very modest man when it came to helping others,but he was also a very confident man around his mates, and would let you know eveytime.

A great mate who will never be forgotten

krunch

Post by krunch » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:41 am

We'd be honoured to finish off derek's Surfers track if that is OK with those concerned. We have been beta testing versions of it over the past couple of years and were waiting for the next updated version to appear on our FTP server. It would mean a lot to us as a team to release his track. Let me know if you want to go ahead and we'll organise a way to transfer the relevant files over.

CoffoNZ

Post by CoffoNZ » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:17 am

Cool, I'll talk with his partner,Tia, and post back.

I'm sure she'll be ok with it

CoffoNZ

Post by CoffoNZ » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:27 pm

Tia's more than happy for it to happen,I just need to find his files and everything and get it to you guys.
I'll get over there this weekend and see what i come up with.

Krunch, do you know what his latest version was, I have one on my PC, but I think it is an old one.
I also have another track he was doing based on the streets around where we live in Upper Hutt if your interested in that, and I know he was doing an A1 mod for Race07(I think it was a conversion of the rFactor mod).

just let me know what to do once I have the files and we'll be all go

Cheers

CoffoNZ

Post by CoffoNZ » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:37 pm

Hey, Krunch

I have his latest version and rar'ed it up but it's still 80mb, it was 210mb before.
How do I get it to you guys?when did he last give you a version to test?
I'll pm you aswell just incase you miss this post(I like to post here to keep the thread going :cool: )

cheers

krunch

Post by krunch » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:08 am

Thanks CoffoNZ. I'll contact you soon about getting the files to me.

CoffoNZ

Post by CoffoNZ » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:47 pm

Sweet, :D

CoffoNZ

Post by CoffoNZ » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:53 pm

Heres a photoshopped picture of Derek and Max, Max's photo was taken at last weekends Nationals at Manfield.
On a side note Tia and family/friends are having an unveiling of Dereks headstone on Saturday 6th March at Akatarawa cemetery @2pm.
Please feel free to pop by if you wish
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.