Logitech DFP Wheel Settings & Garage Setups

Moved to http://www.nzstockcarheat.co.nz/
Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Logitech DFP Wheel Settings & Garage Setups

Post by Inspector » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:59 pm

I have created this to help drivers wishing to use their DFP for racing Stockcar Heat. Whilst this is the wheel I use I am sure the setups will suit most wheels and even the settings in both Game Controllers and within the game itself will be similar for other wheels.

Please note !!!! - These setups were given to be me by Newb and all credit is his, not only for the setup but his willingness to help me out (and therefore everyone here) when I was struggling to be competitive at all. I have tweaked some of these setups ever so slightly to suit my driving style but the majority of them are just as he gave them to me.

Right, let's get started. First of all you need to have installed the latest Wingman Profiler Software For WinXP - For use with Logitech DFP Wheel. Once installed you can then go to the Windows "Control Panel" and double click on the "Game Controllers" icon. You should see this:

Now click on "Properties", you should then see this:

Now click on the "Settings" button and you will see how my wheel is configured in Windows. I do not change these settings at all, they stay the same for all games. There is the odd game that requires "Combined (single axis)", Need for Speed Pro Street being the latest one I know of but most SIM games use the dual axis. You will note that my centering spring is set to 100% which means the wheel will try and force itself back to the centre position quite strongly meaning you have to exert pressure to turn and hold it there. This is where most of the "feel" for what your car is doing comes from and Force Feedback enhances that feel and literally "kicks" the wheel as you go over bumps etc.

Now we go to the game settings. I certainly have not perfected these settings and have not had a lot of advice from other wheel users. I find this quite stable but if other wheel guys use different settings then please post them as I would also like to improve these.

These are the settings in the main "Control" section under "Options". Notice once again Force Feedback and Centering is set to maximum. I can not stress enough just how important I find the feedback coming from my wheel as an interpretation of what my car is doing.

And now the "Advanced" section. These settings seem to suit my driving style, yours may be different so start here and play as you go.

I have created a short but high quality clip of a couple of tracks to give you an example of how I drive with my wheel. These were made quite hastily tonight and are far from perfect and are quite slow lap times compared to what I can do. The point is to show you my style rather than perfect lines. You will note in all clips how little I move my wheel. I mostly use the throttle to steer the car and whilst I am a little more aggressive on the wheel during proper races with other cars around me, you are better to learn to drive with your wheel by yourself and not being aggressive at all, not chasing fast lap times but in fact chasing lap after lap of getting round the track without spinning up.
One of the biggest issues faced by wheel users is the sudden snap 3/4 of the way down the straight. It seems to happen on every track and in time you will learn to control it. You will see in my clips how I usually don't back off when it happens, I have started to perfect my anticipation of the sudden snap and give a little flick of the wheel to counter it.

Learning to drive with a wheel is hard. I will not deny that. You will throw things at the cat or dog and call the missus names when she comes into the room, but the feeling of accomplishment when you do master it and actually manage to win a race against people taking the easy option on keyboards and gamepads will make it all worth it. One day Heat will die and you will be left with rFactor and other SIM racing games and the hard work now will pay off. Good luck and remember to ask questions if you don't understand something or are having any issues.

Right click and "Save Target as" to save and view these movies on your PC. Sorry about the size but I wanted the quality to be reasonably good so you could see what was going on.

Bay Park

Palmerston North

TeMarua

Wanganui

Here are the setups, big thanks again to Newb _b _b _b

Bay Park
Palmerston North
TeMarua
Wanganui
Meanne
Waikaraka
Rotorua
Inspector

---

Blenderer

Post by Blenderer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:09 am

Good stuff Speccy & Newb,

Hopefully more and more people will start to use wheels for this game and run it as a sim rather then an arcade game _b

Good luck to all that give driving with a wheel a go, it will be a difficult task to begin with, but once you master it you will never want to race with your keyboard or controller again. :)
If You Are In Control, You Are Not Going Fast Enough!

skinstad77

Post by skinstad77 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:16 am

i know i will now with all this help,cheers guys _b
CANTERBURY SUPERSTOCK CHALLENGE-WINNER
WAIKATO SUPERSTOCK CHAMPIONSHIP-WINNER
NEW ZEALAND GRAND PRIX CHAMPIONSHIP-3rd
2010 INDIVIDUAL LEAGUE ROUND 1 OVERALL-3rd

wanttobe

Post by wanttobe » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:12 am

Cheers Speccy/newb i will give it ago _b but not tonight its team racing and the kings are going to be hard as it is lol

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:42 am

wanttobe wrote:Cheers Speccy/newb i will give it ago _b but not tonight its team racing and the kings are going to be hard as it is lol
Maybe we could run a wheel only testing session tomorrow night (thursday) for all that would be interested???

say 7 - 9pm???

nolly

Post by nolly » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:47 am

would be keen ratman :) - it aint the same practicing offline :(
"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."

Ratman

Post by Ratman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:11 am

Dossy

Post by Dossy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:25 pm

I just have a quick question for Inspector

Ive just been watching your vids of how u drive the tracks and im wondering how u keep your revs that low??

Is it a diferant ratio or driving style???

The setups above i drive and the rev real hard like alot of wheel spin

Any tips much appreciated from anyone

Cheers
Dossy
Making A Return Every 2 Months Since Ages Ago!

Current Holder Of NO Titles Or Acomplishments!

KSR Aaza

Post by KSR Aaza » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:28 pm

HAYDOS39 wrote:I just have a quick question for Inspector

Ive just been watching your vids of how u drive the tracks and im wondering how u keep your revs that low??
It's his dud hacks. :p
"If he gets any wider, he'll be racing in the carpark!" - Aaron Drever

BOPPA818

Post by BOPPA818 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Cheers Specky your the man thats for sure _b

Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:13 am

These will help alot cheers man
KSS Teams League Champions: Christchurch Glen Eagles
KSS Individual League: Sidewinder 29a

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:12 pm

Cheers
Dossy

I just typed up a big reply and then hit the wrong button and lost it all. Shit I hate that.

So here we go again.......

I'm certainly no expert but this is why I think think the lower revs work for wheel users and how.
Basically Haydos and others the gear ratios I use are in the setups I have supplied. The issue also relates to the way you drive when using a gamepad/keyboard or using a wheel. (I'm going to refer to gamepad/keyboard as g/k from here in to save some typing).

When using a g/k it seems you can use more revs and not spin up and I believe the reason for this is the fact that you can counteract the start of a spin by turning your front wheels lock to lock instantly and therefore allowing the power/revs to get down to the track quickly and efficently. Whereas when using a wheel it takes so long to get the front wheels from one lock to another that the loss of traction produced by the higher revs and therefore more wheelspin results in a spin or very erratic driving from one side of the track to the other.

So consequently your whole driving style must change when moving to a wheel. What I do is this, I drive into the corner and back off or brake hard before the turn and aim to be as close to the pole line as possible. When you back off (due to the setup) and sometimes encouraged by a quick blip on the throttle the arse kicks out and you then procede to slide round the apex using throttle control and a little wheel movement. Note that throttle control achieves more than wheel movement. Once out of the apex I generally stab the throttle on and off to control the car to a straight position before giving it full throttle when I'm pointed down the straight. In the case of Bay Park for example I am able to hold more revs because it is a big wide track and instead of waiting till the car is straight before giving it full throttle I can give it full throttle early and drive out toward the wall and sort of "apex" the straight rather then treating it as a straight line. In the case of Palmy for example you can't afford to get on the throttle too early or you find yourself climbing the wall pretty quickly so it's either a case of blipping the throttle or using gradual input on the throttle to gain gradual traction as you leave the corner and head down the straight.

Driving with a wheel is in fact about doing most things gradually. You don't have the ability to control the steering so quickly and fully as you do with a g/k so instead you must match the gradual input of your wheel with the gradual input of the throttle. Once you have gained control of your car you can then push harder, find the limits of traction that you can control and then find the line that best suits your new driving style and limits of control. That's about it really, anyone expecting to get anywhere near there old g/k lap times will be sadly dissapointed and anyone expecting to hit or be hit by other cars the same as they always have will be sadly dissapointed. Once you have learned to drive all over again then will have to learn to battle and teams race all over again, but that's another time and another thread...........
Inspector

---

Dossy

Post by Dossy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:41 pm

Thanx for that Inspector should help me abit

From reading that i think my main problem is i try to do the "Modified flick" to much and loose traction therefore wheelspin and more revs.

This should help me and i love the settings as i have tryed my wheel before having force feedback and it was really hard lol

Thanks again
Dossy
Making A Return Every 2 Months Since Ages Ago!

Current Holder Of NO Titles Or Acomplishments!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:42 pm

From what I found is yes my driving style had to change. With your 'flick' Haydos, going into the corner 'for me' I cant get to far sideways or I have no chance (unless throttle is used well lol) what I then did is tried to keep the car as straight as possible into the corner and nudge the throttle on and off through the mid section of the corner (this is where my car does get sideways a bit) until about 3/4 around and then try to back off the throttle a bit to straighten the car back up and then back on throttle to go down the straight again (finding the right point to put throttle back is still taking me a while but hopefully I'll get there). Exiting the corner is the hardest part 'I found' and every track is different in regard to this. I can only keep the throttle down the whole time exiting the corner for one track and thats TeMarua.

This is only what I found and I'm sure it'll be different for everyone. :>

34phuggies34p

Post by 34phuggies34p » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:15 pm

Inspector wrote:

Cheers
Dossy

I just typed up a big reply and then hit the wrong button and lost it all. Shit I hate that.

So here we go again.......

I'm certainly no expert but this is why I think think the lower revs work for wheel users and how.
Basically Haydos and others the gear ratios I use are in the setups I have supplied. The issue also relates to the way you drive when using a gamepad/keyboard or using a wheel. (I'm going to refer to gamepad/keyboard as g/k from here in to save some typing).

When using a g/k it seems you can use more revs and not spin up and I believe the reason for this is the fact that you can counteract the start of a spin by turning your front wheels lock to lock instantly and therefore allowing the power/revs to get down to the track quickly and efficently. Whereas when using a wheel it takes so long to get the front wheels from one lock to another that the loss of traction produced by the higher revs and therefore more wheelspin results in a spin or very erratic driving from one side of the track to the other.

So consequently your whole driving style must change when moving to a wheel. What I do is this, I drive into the corner and back off or brake hard before the turn and aim to be as close to the pole line as possible. When you back off (due to the setup) and sometimes encouraged by a quick blip on the throttle the arse kicks out and you then procede to slide round the apex using throttle control and a little wheel movement. Note that throttle control achieves more than wheel movement. Once out of the apex I generally stab the throttle on and off to control the car to a straight position before giving it full throttle when I'm pointed down the straight. In the case of Bay Park for example I am able to hold more revs because it is a big wide track and instead of waiting till the car is straight before giving it full throttle I can give it full throttle early and drive out toward the wall and sort of "apex" the straight rather then treating it as a straight line. In the case of Palmy for example you can't afford to get on the throttle too early or you find yourself climbing the wall pretty quickly so it's either a case of blipping the throttle or using gradual input on the throttle to gain gradual traction as you leave the corner and head down the straight.

Driving with a wheel is in fact about doing most things gradually. You don't have the ability to control the steering so quickly and fully as you do with a g/k so instead you must match the gradual input of your wheel with the gradual input of the throttle. Once you have gained control of your car you can then push harder, find the limits of traction that you can control and then find the line that best suits your new driving style and limits of control. That's about it really, anyone expecting to get anywhere near there old g/k lap times will be sadly dissapointed and anyone expecting to hit or be hit by other cars the same as they always have will be sadly dissapointed. Once you have learned to drive all over again then will have to learn to battle and teams race all over again, but that's another time and another thread...........
lmfao, Speccy we all know you do so much for the comunity but man I'm almost ready to fall asleep after that one... :D _b
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Connor

Re: Logitech DFP Wheel Settings & Garage Setups

Post by Connor » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:39 pm

Do we download both of these Inspector?:
Logitech® Gaming Software 5.02
Logitech® GamePanel™ Software 2.02

What button is JOY BY+ and JOY BX+?

My wheel is a Logitech Driving Force Force Feedback wheel and would you know why when im trying to set the buttons my brake won't do anything even though i press BRAKE in the control settings and press my brake but it doesnt do anything?

When i set the throttle it says JOY Up, is this because it is a different kind of wheel?

hope that makes sense, Thanks :D
Liam is a dud

Inspector
Team DuD Motorsport

Post by Inspector » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:54 pm

Yes the wheels are a lot different, the DFP has many more buttons than the DFF wheel. You only need the Logitech® Gaming Software 5.02 I'm not actually sure what the other one is.

You need to make sure you have calibrated your wheel in Windows before going into the game and also ensure you have not selected combined axis. When you go into the options in Heat make sure you have gamepad unticked.
Inspector

---

BADASS_CHB

Post by BADASS_CHB » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:09 pm

will this work for vista, the download?
When the clutch drops the bullshit stops

ShaneNZ

Post by ShaneNZ » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:59 pm

BADASS_CHB wrote:will this work for vista, the download?
just had a look at the link..
(copy n paste)

Requirements
Windows® XP or Windows® Vista. Either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Supported devices:
- Logitech® G25 Racing Wheel
- Logitech® Driving Force™ RX
- Logitech® Force™ 3D Pro
- Logitech® Driving Force™ Pro
- Logitech® Racing Wheel
- Logitech® Precision™ Gamepad 2
- Logitech® Cordless RumblePad™ 2
- Logitech® RumblePad™ 2
- Logitech® Racing Force
- Logitech® MOMO® Force
- Logitech® Freedom™ 2.4
- Logitech® Extreme™ 3D Pro
- Logitech® Dual Action™ Gamepad
- Logitech® Driving Force™
- Logitech® Attack™ 3
- WingMan® Extreme™ Digital 3D
- WingMan® Gamepad Extreme™
- WingMan® Gamepad (black pad)
- WingMan® Formula™ (yellow wheel)
- WingMan® Action Pad™
- WingMan® Attack™ 2
- WingMan® Formula™ Force GP
- WingMan® Strike Force™ 3D
- WingMan® Force™ 3D
- WingMan® Precision™ USB Gamepad
- WingMan® Formula GP USB
- WingMan® RumblePad™
- WingMan® Cordless Gamepad
(like i said i just copyd n pasted (don't know if i was meant to do that))

cheers
0 5 EHT KCUF
:bluesbro: