For all aspects of real world racing, and general motoring chit chat
tonyff4

Bathurst who spins the crank

Post by tonyff4 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:49 am

im backing ford as per normal since 1971

Riftcreator

Re: Bathurst who spins the crank

Post by Riftcreator » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:14 pm

The right money would be on the combo of Lowndes and Skaife, but I'm backing the 2 Kiwi drivers who could stand a chance, the Giz and Murph _b
Don't care what badge wins, not like there is realy any difference between them anyway.

Bull

Post by Bull » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:22 pm

I think SVG has a damn good chance this year, especially if it rains later on as forecasted.

Be good to see Murphy back at the top too, not to sure on his co-driver though - as mentioned Lowndes/Skaife has to be the best possible combo

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Holden boo hiss..better than Fried On Race Day I spose :p

Well Done Murph good comeback/lucky with last safety car....
"Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?"
Sulley – James P. “Sulley” Sullivan

"Laughter has more power than screams"

Bull

Post by Bull » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Bit of bad luck for SVG, made a lot of ground at the end though to end up 6th I think? Would of been interesting if there was rain and/or another safety for him.

Murph always performs at Bathurst, would of been good to see him have a more competitive car at the end.

Bit gutted Lowndes didn't win, outside of NZ'ers he's been one of my favourite drivers since he started racing, but pretty stocked for Percat to get a debut win at the mountain _b should be a good kickstart for his career

vandem
GPL luddite

Post by vandem » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:26 am

Bull wrote:Bit of bad luck for SVG, made a lot of ground at the end though to end up 6th I think? Would of been interesting if there was rain and/or another safety for him.
Could have been a lot worse. IIRC they came out of the post-accident pit stop around 1m50 down on the leaders, if Johnny Mac had been a little slower getting the car out of the wall they would have been a lap down and heading for 20th.

IIRC Giz was around 19th after the last SC (of around 20 cars on the lead lap), was a good drive to carve through the field to 11th in about 3 laps, then steadily picked off cars. I was checking gap from leader, looked like he was 0.5 - 1 sec slower per lap when not held up by Ingall etc, so lapping at the same pace as Murphy / Bright / Winterbottom. So even with one more SC he still may have ended up 6th.

I didn't see any footage of the start of either incident (also Giz + Dumbrell in the cutting about 17 laps from the end, not sure if Dumbrell spun in front of Giz or if there was pre-accident contact), does anyone know what caused them?

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:50 am

Murph was super lucky with that late SC, didn't seem like the car had any pace after the brief time he lead at the start.

Some odd incidents, SVG vs Dumbrell was't shown at all after the initial replay, and even the J Mac vs Marcus Marshall (who drove like an over aggressive twat all day) at Forest Elbow wasn't concluded. David Besnard crash was really odd, no brake pressure into T2 because he didn't pump the brakes after the pad change because he wasn't told to.......are you serious? He's been in this championship (at least in a co-driver role) for ~10 years! O_o

Glad Tander won, I really do hate Holden (not that it'll matter much when COF comes out) but my hatred of 888 racing runs much deeper so was glad he won, especially for Percat who really seems like a talented driver.

We all found out why 17 year old reality TV winners shouldn't drive V8Supercars.

Whingecup had problems, super stoaked about that _b

Ford had a crap day in general, but did anyone expect them to seriously win? Outside of Giz/Frosty there isn't really anyone I could name that seemed like a genuine race winner before the start (DJR went someway to prove me wrong throughout the race though). Anyone think Youlden will be back with FPR next year after giving the game away on that restart?

After all that bring on next year!! Hopefully Craig Baird will get more than 1 lap for the first time in 3 years :rolleyes:

Bull

Post by Bull » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Obsc3ne wrote: David Besnard crash was really odd, no brake pressure into T2 because he didn't pump the brakes after the pad change because he wasn't told to.......are you serious? He's been in this championship (at least in a co-driver role) for ~10 years! O_o
I'd say there was more to it then that. It locked the rears up and backed into the wall, if you have no brake pressure you won't get a lock up, and from experience with working on cars when you pump up the brakes the fronts are the first to get pressure due to the way Brake bias/proportioning valves work

Bold
Bloody SimTV!

Post by Bold » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:32 pm

Bull wrote:
Obsc3ne wrote: David Besnard crash was really odd, no brake pressure into T2 because he didn't pump the brakes after the pad change because he wasn't told to.......are you serious? He's been in this championship (at least in a co-driver role) for ~10 years! O_o
I'd say there was more to it then that. It locked the rears up and backed into the wall, if you have no brake pressure you won't get a lock up, and from experience with working on cars when you pump up the brakes the fronts are the first to get pressure due to the way Brake bias/proportioning valves work
They only change the front pads.. Rears still have pressure, don't need to be pumped... :rolleyes:

Bull

Post by Bull » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Bold wrote:
Bull wrote:
They only change the front pads.. Rears still have pressure, don't need to be pumped... :rolleyes:
Yes, but if you have no pressure on the front, you wont have pressure at the rear. The valves don't open to allow the set % of pressure to flow to the back until the set % has been reached at the front - the front pressure is what opens the valve to allow pressure to the rear.

Maybe you could say they locked up due to already being hot/bedded in, but pressure isn't the cause.

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:41 pm

Bull wrote:
You hear his interview afterwards? he pretty much admitted it was his fault (he tried to lay some blame on the team), he mentioned something about no brakes until far too late. tbh if I knew I was going to hit a wall that quick I'd rather lock the rears that lock the fronts, not saying thats the case, but you know epic fail whatever the full story is

Bull

Post by Bull » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:43 pm

Obsc3ne wrote:
Bull wrote:
You hear his interview afterwards? he pretty much admitted it was his fault (he tried to lay some blame on the team), he mentioned something about no brakes until far too late. tbh if I knew I was going to hit a wall that quick I'd rather lock the rears that lock the fronts, not saying thats the case, but you know epic fail whatever the full story is
Yeah, made quite a nice footage of the fire engulfing almost the whole width of the track too. Best thing for a Ford to be honest.

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Also, both DJR cars looked awesome

Rasmo

Post by Rasmo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:22 pm

Bull wrote:Yes, but if you have no pressure on the front, you wont have pressure at the rear. The valves don't open to allow the set % of pressure to flow to the back until the set % has been reached at the front - the front pressure is what opens the valve to allow pressure to the rear.

Maybe you could say they locked up due to already being hot/bedded in, but pressure isn't the cause.
Just because it is Bull I though I would jump in here. I don't want to start a huge argument, actually that would be kind of fun :larf: , but I know that on race cars, well Porsches anyway they run dual or tandem master cylinders, one for the front and one for the rear. Then a balance bar is used to adjust the brake bias, or valves of some sort. This means that the rears would still have pressure and would take the full pedal pressure. :D
Image Image

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Rasmo wrote:
Bull wrote:Yes, but if you have no pressure on the front, you wont have pressure at the rear. The valves don't open to allow the set % of pressure to flow to the back until the set % has been reached at the front - the front pressure is what opens the valve to allow pressure to the rear.

Just because it is Bull I though I would jump in here. I don't want to start a huge argument, actually that would be kind of fun :larf: , but I know that on race cars, well Porsches anyway they run dual or tandem master cylinders, one for the front and one for the rear. Then a balance bar is used to adjust the brake bias, or valves of some sort. This means that the rears would still have pressure and would take the full pedal pressure. :D
I'm sure I've read somewhere the V8 Supercars use a twin master cylinder system.

bradc

Post by bradc » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:50 pm

Obsc3ne wrote:Also, both DJR cars looked awesome

they sure did and looking at how they were running, their strategy suggested that they were going to make it on 1 less fuel stop, sadly Bessy's brain fade and Moff's broken g'box put pay to the hay they were making...sure they weren't going to win it, but they were heading well inside the top 10

vandem
GPL luddite

Post by vandem » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:18 pm

bradc wrote:... they sure did and looking at how they were running, their strategy suggested that they were going to make it on 1 less fuel stop, sadly Bessy's brain fade and Moff's broken g'box put pay to the hay they were making...sure they weren't going to win it, but they were heading well inside the top 10
Yup. Before the 2nd-last SC the Moffat / Halliday car was running between the Kelly and 888 cars back in around 15th, but they were the leading three cars to have done an earlier short stint which meant one extra mid race pit stop but one less pit stop in the last hour. Unfortunately SC timing made this the wrong strategy to be on anyway ...

While the 888 car had the pace to drive through the field for 2nd, the Moffat car would have probably ended up around 6th as it was running similar pace to Giz / Frosty etc.