NZrFL46: BMW E90 Challenge Cup

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Bull

NZrFL46: BMW E90 Challenge Cup

Post by Bull » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Welcome to another instalment of Kiwi Sim Racing league action - The BMW E90 Challenge Cup. Featuring a well known touring car which promises to be relatively easy to hop in and drive, there should be some great close door rubbing action provided throughout this series.

Mod Download - BMW E90 WTCC

Schedule:
[27/03] - Official Practise Night
[03/04] - Round 1 - Circuit D'Albi - All Chicanes
[10/04] - Round 2 - Malaysian GP - Northern Loop
[17/04] - Round 3 - Timaru International Raceway
[24/04] - Round 4 - Tiger Moth Airport - R1 Layout
[01/05] - Round 5 - Magnificent Park - National Layout

Race Night Schedule:
[20:00] - Official Practise
[20:50] - Drivers Briefing
[20:55] - Grids Drawn - (Note: You will need to be on the server at this point to be included in the grids)
[21:00] - Racing Commences

All times are in NZDT Timezone.

Grid Format:
For this series we won't be running qualifying. Instead, we will be using a 'club' style grid format where everyone will get pre-determined grids. What this means is essentially everyone will have an equal 'total' for their grids - whether you have a front start, a rear start and a mid start, or 3 mid pack starts, everyone will have the same amount of cars to pass to win throughout the entire night.

With this format we hope to promote some great close racing and overtaking throughout the pack - this series will be more about gaining positions from your rear grids, and holding positions from your front grids, rather than outright pace.

Race Settings and Rules:
Flag Rules - Black Only
Damage - 50%
Fuel usage - 1X
Tire Usage - 1X
Mechanical Failures - Normal
Practice Time - 60 Minutes
Race Length - 15 Minutes
Type of Start - Standing

Driving Aids:
Traction Control - 0
Anti Lock Brakes - 0
Auto Clutch - Yes
Driving View - Open

This mod features a "Qualifying Tyre" as well as a "Race Tyre" option in the settings. Whilst the qualifying tyre is faster, we are limiting the tyre used in this series to only the Race Tyre. Because there is no way to enforce this within the game without modifying the mod or running fixed setups, we will require a bit of honesty from all drivers that they are running the Race Tyre throughout the series. Obviously we will be able to tell if you aren't as you will have amazing pace and grip at the start of the race and struggle towards the end. Anyone caught running the Qualifying Tyre will be facing a indefinite stand-down from Kiwi Sim Racing.

Crossing The Finish Line:
Please refrain from post-race chat and celebrations ("congratulations", burnouts etc.) until after all competitors have crossed the line.

Sign-ups:
Please register which livery you would like to race with in the Reserved Skins Thread
Then make sure you sign up at the Points Site, once the league has been opened there (a post will be made in this thread when it is available). If you need any help signing up, you can post here.

Teams:
Teams of two may be entered on the points site.
There is a teams championship as well, so grab a team mate and register your team on the points site.

Races will feature a 50% race completion threshold in order to qualify for the finishing bonus.
Races will also feature a crossing the line bonus if you complete the race.

samk115

Re: NZrFL46: BMW E90 Challenge Cup

Post by samk115 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Which Layout will we be using for Circut D'Albi?

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:01 pm

samk115 wrote:Which Layout will we be using for Circut D'Albi?
Sorry will be using the All Chicanes layout. Have updated first post to reflect this.

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am

I'm out of town without access to the server.
So it won't be setup until the night of first practice.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Seca

Post by Seca » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:36 pm

I can try setup a server tonight for the Week to allow drivers to practice on and test the Cars if people would like.

Erik

Post by Erik » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Seca wrote:I can try setup a server tonight for the Week to allow drivers to practice on and test the Cars if people would like.
Yes please! It sure is a bit of a transition going from a Porsche 991 GT3 to a BMW E90? It's not exactly an M3 either :)

Bull

Post by Bull » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:52 pm

It would be much appreciated if you are able to Seca.

Erik, Ive chosen D'albi first cause its a relatively easy track, so hopefully the transition is a little bit easier!

Erik

Post by Erik » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:23 pm

Bull wrote:It would be much appreciated if you are able to Seca.

Erik, Ive chosen D'albi first cause its a relatively easy track, so hopefully the transition is a little bit easier!
It's a fun little track. It feels pretty narrow at first but I've been doing some AI races in the E90 and there is more space than meets the eye at first. The chicanes definitely make the track more interesting. The E90 feels very different to the GT3 cars, just makes you realise who quick those GT3s really are but it should make for some nice door to door racing.

I just noticed that the engine sounds more like a vacuum cleaner and it's quite soft too. I've had to play with the sound volume as with other cars close by, I can't really hear the engine correctly. Do others have the same issue or should I attempt to download it again? (though it doesn't sound like there's something wrong with the audio in the mod?)

Bull

Post by Bull » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Erik wrote:
Bull wrote:It would be much appreciated if you are able to Seca.

It's a fun little track. It feels pretty narrow at first but I've been doing some AI races in the E90 and there is more space than meets the eye at first. The chicanes definitely make the track more interesting. The E90 feels very different to the GT3 cars, just makes you realise who quick those GT3s really are but it should make for some nice door to door racing.

I just noticed that the engine sounds more like a vacuum cleaner and it's quite soft too. I've had to play with the sound volume as with other cars close by, I can't really hear the engine correctly. Do others have the same issue or should I attempt to download it again? (though it doesn't sound like there's something wrong with the audio in the mod?)
The GT3 mod had very loud engine sounds compared to most mods. I've had to adjust them all back up since racing other mods

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Seca wrote:I can try setup a server tonight for the Week to allow drivers to practice on and test the Cars if people would like.

Murphy's Law

Post by Murphy's Law » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Riftcreator wrote:Image

Seca

Post by Seca » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 pm

Server is Up Now Guys Normal Password to get on. Is setup to the way the series will be Run

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:17 pm

Cheers Seca :-)

Main server is all set for tonight.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Len Pluck

Post by Len Pluck » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 pm

hi i need help cannot log on to ksr server says missing package but works on secra server find

Riven
Server Guru

Post by Riven » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:54 pm

Len Pluck wrote:hi i need help cannot log on to ksr server says missing package but works on secra server find
Need all tracks installed

Erik

Post by Erik » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:40 pm

Could someone please help me with a setup for the E90?

No matter if I have the diff completely open or locked (0% to 100%, tried them both), as soon as I drop from 4th into 3rd and with any sort of steering loading, the car immediately snaps to the left or right. I've tried all sorts of coast and power settings and the likes, but the way the car snaps around doesn't change? (My own E46 sure never behaved like this, neither on the track nor the road on the German Autobahn!)

It's quite strange actually as I don't have this behaviour as much when I drive offline? Also offline I'm able to set 1:21-1:22 times but online I just can't get anywhere past a high 1:23. It just feels like a different car all together when driving online.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated!

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Engine is probably compression locking. The gaps between the stock gears is quite high. You could try closing the ratios closer together, or shift a bit later.

Oh and heel toe/blip throttle on downshift

Bull

Post by Bull » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:54 pm

The GT3 Mod did have auto blip built in.

You can also try changing the brake map down the bottom of the page with diff settings on it. From memory the higher the setting the less chance of compression lock

samk115

Post by samk115 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:41 pm

I have noticed that too Erik. I tried to tune it out however have not played with brake mapping etc yet or messed around with the gear ratios. I have also noticed the car seems to shift very roughly even using an H-pattern shifter with clutch, down being worse than up.

Definitly a learning curve.

Murphy's Law

Post by Murphy's Law » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:38 pm

samk115 wrote:I have noticed that too Erik. I tried to tune it out however have not played with brake mapping etc yet or messed around with the gear ratios. I have also noticed the car seems to shift very roughly even using an H-pattern shifter with clutch, down being worse than up.

Definitly a learning curve.
As bull said it could be compression locking, You could be changing down too soon. Try changing down later and use the brakes rather then engine braking. The other thing could be to much rear brake bias, what setting are you running with that?

If it helps I will share my setup on Monday night once i have created one and im also sure others will be happy to share theres as well.

Bull

Post by Bull » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:05 pm

I will be around on Discord tonight if anyone wants a hand with setup.

samk115

Post by samk115 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:35 am

I found that tightening up the gear ratios has made a huge difference in driveablity. Now i need to work on my lap times! How anyone can run a 1:21 or lower is beyond me!

Bull

Post by Bull » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:04 am

The track has rubbered up a lot on the server and will continue to get faster the more laps are done on it. Times are only really relevant when being done at the same time due to how much the track can change in rF2

Erik

Post by Erik » Wed May 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Thanks Matt for putting this together. Despite the sometimes iffy E90 mod, it was a blast and the track selection was very interesting!

Will we see the points site being updated for the last 2 races so that we can see the final results?

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Mon May 07, 2018 2:33 pm

Matt has sent me the final results Saturday night, I'll get them uploaded tonight _b