NZrFL47: Formula Renault - Round 6

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Obsc3ne

NZrFL47: Formula Renault - Round 6

Post by Obsc3ne » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:50 pm

For the final round of NZrFL 47 we stay in North America, but head down south to New Orleans. This track is new to Kiwi Sim Racing, but fast and flowing which should provide good entertainment.

Track: NOLA - Indy GP Layout

Schedule:
[20:00] - Official Practise
[20:40] - Qualifying
[20:55] - Drivers Briefing
[21:00] - Racing Commences

Format:
1x 11 lap sprint race, grids based off qualifying
1x 32 lap feature race, one compulsory pit stop including mandatory 4x tyres changed, grids based off race 1 results with top 8 reversed.

Please Note: There is no refuelling these cars so ensure you have sufficient fuel to last the feature race in its entirety

Erik

Re: NZrFL47: Formula Renault - Round 6

Post by Erik » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:52 pm

Do the pit stops work this time around? :)

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Erik wrote:Do the pit stops work this time around? :)
They do, she is a pretty awkward entry, but just adds to the excitement.

Obsc3ne

Post by Obsc3ne » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:25 pm

Race day!

Erik

Post by Erik » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:32 am

Thanks for the races guys, this was epic fun! Too bad the field was so small but great fun nevertheless.

Due to a last minute aero change, the sprint race was a bit of a disaster for me, the car just kept throwing itself around in the hairpins. (Important lesson: do not muck about with last minute changes right before the race.)

Reverting to my original setup for the feature race went a lot better. She was much better behaved, albeit perhaps not as quick as she could have been. But the spring race taught me to value staying on track over squeezing out an additional second.

Starting from pole (as being last in the sprint race), I really enjoyed the battle with Maniak and BlackJack. An unfortunate bump saw me flying off and back to last in the final hairpin. Trailing the field, I was very surprised to round the corner after the back straight only to find the entire field spread out all over the track and grass! :eek: :eek:
(Car in front, car on the left, car on the right, where to go?! 8o )

The carnage and associated pitstops and penalties gave me 4th place and following MMJ's example of doing a long stint enabled me to exit the pit in 3rd, with Matt right at my gearbox. With Matt completely occupying my rear mirrors, I missed my brake marker for the corner at the end of the back straight so I had a spectacular slide across the track - flat spotting all 4 shiny new tires but still keeping it out of the cabbage. So I just settled into the last stint and finished 4th .... a result I was very pleased with after the disappointing results at Montreal last week. Overall a great race night to finish a very successful series!

Danman

Post by Danman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:36 pm

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.... :)
I really enjoyed the series and the cars _b
I like that track except for the cut track areas not being sorted properly/ thought out fully.
I got several stop gos in the main race for track cutting:
Running wide (4 wheels over the curb) at turn one - I don't think you can run wide and gain time, it would put you on the grass
Running wide/ 4 wheels over the white line at turn 3 (left hander hairpin) - again, how does running wide gain time?
Running wide at turn 5 (right hander end of main straight) - OK fair enough that one there you can gain time.
Running too deep at last turn off back straight - if you end up there you've missed the right hander anyway.

So, fun but frustrating last race :)