Re: KSR 2018 Endurance Championship

Post by Erik » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:01 pm

How did I end up with a penalty?

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:40 pm

From the main league thread.
Drop Round
As this league is spread over a longer period of time than usual leagues, we are allowing each driver to have one drop-round out of the first four. Prior to the fifth and final round starting anyone who has completed all four rounds previously will have their worse result dropped from the points site in the form of a points penalty. This way more drivers will be able to fight for the league title despite real-life commitments.
Those who didn't get a drop round penalty added had a DNF for a round, and didn't receive points.

Growler

Post by Growler » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:02 pm

I've never been a fan of dropping rounds....just saying...

Erik

Post by Erik » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:20 pm

If I go through each of the result pages on the site for the GT3 Endurance Championship, I end up with the following:

Round 1: 40 points, 5 bonus
Round 2: 60 points, 0 bonus (engine failure deep in the race)
Round 3: 60 points, 5 bonus
Round 4: 60 points, 5 bonus
Round 5: DNF

That should total to 220 points, 15 bonus points and no penalty due to DNF at Spa?

Unless I'm completely mistaken of how this should work? :crazy:

To clarify - I understand that the 190 points are a result of (220+15) - 45 (round 1 result)
But given that my 3rd place at Spa was a DNF for which I received no points (on the site), I shouldn't get the penalty points?

EDIT: Ah the drop round only applies to the first FOUR rounds - but dropping the worst result from this AND having a DNF in the last round feels a bit like double punishment to me.

Riftcreator

Post by Riftcreator » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 pm

Best to take this up with Mike, he sent me a PM requesting the penalties.
I'm sure he can clarify things :)

Erik

Post by Erik » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:06 pm

I understand the concept of the penalties - they aren't actually penalties. Instead, out of the 4 previous events, we are dismissing the points for the worst result so only the 3 best scores are taken into consideration for the championship.

I also understand why - this gives someone the opportunity to miss 1 event (or stuff it up) without immediately ruining their championship standings and acknowledges that we all have real-life commitments outside KSR being family, work, etc.

However, I would like to suggest that drop rounds would be applied to *ALL* rounds in future events, rather than only the preceding ones before the final event. Yes, this does mean that going into the final race, it's not immediately clear what the final standings will be.

The upside is that it will not unfairly penalize those that cannot make the final round (or stuff it up!), which seems to be more aligned with the reasons why we have drop rounds to begin with?

Disclaimer: I will openly admit to immediately benefit from including the final round as part of the drop rounds, as an immediate side effect of being DNF'd at Spa!

Bull

Post by Bull » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:57 pm

I think the idea behind the rule that Mike has implemented was it would encourage everyone to race in the last round, as that round could not be dropped as a worse round/no show. So the intention was that everyone would partake in the last round.

Erik

Post by Erik » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 pm

That makes sense although it's a pity if that's the one race you couldn't make it. We had quite a small grid at Spa actually - especially compared to Bathurst! It certainly seemed to have dropped off after Sebring?

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:59 pm

Bull wrote:I think the idea behind the rule that Mike has implemented was it would encourage everyone to race in the last round, as that round could not be dropped as a worse round/no show. So the intention was that everyone would partake in the last round.
The idea was just to make it clear who needed to finish where to win the championship, rather than it be a "wait for the points to upload and drop rounds to be applied" type situation. That of course comes with a trade-off of not being able to drop the last round if you have a shocker. As it transpired the 3 people who had drop rounds applied all had a terrible race, and so the no-final-round drop-round rule ended up hurting us.