NZrFL 59: KSR Grand Prix Championship - Round 4 - Watkins Glen

Keen to join in? check out what's going on at KSR
Obsc3ne

NZrFL 59: KSR Grand Prix Championship - Round 4 - Watkins Glen

Post by Obsc3ne » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Round 4 of the KSR Grand Prix series and we're Stateside and Watkins Glen

Race Night Schedule (NZT):
[20:00] - Official Practice
[21:00] - Qualifying (fully open session, everyone on track at once and unlimited laps)
[21:15] - Warmup & driver briefing
[21:20] - Race Start (50 minute timed race)

Race Settings
  • 1 x Fuel (as above - there is no refueling)
  • 1 x Tyres
  • 2 x Road Progression
  • CPS's - You must run both versions of the race tyre (Soft & Hard) and cannot change tyres on the last lap of the race. (this does not mean that a single stop strategy will be fastest)
  • The Qualifying tyre is banned for the race, but available for use during qualifying.
  • Auto Clutch & Auto Blip - I highly recommend turning auto clutch on due to the possibility of stalling.
  • Traction Control Allowed - Due to the difficulty to drive I'm allowing traction control
  • No Black flags
  • 75% damage
  • Mechanical Failures - Off
  • Type of start - Standing
Special Note
As we have turned off black flags, this has the impact of having no enforceable pit lane speed limit. So, you can speed as you see fit through pit-lane.

I noticed a few people did not have auto-clutch on when looking at the results. To confirm, in every other session you will be able to manually start these if you stall, however in the race you will not be able to.

I've added this in the car selection thread, but the McLaren has an issue, so we won't be able to use it on our race nights. This is a shame considering the Kiwi heritage of the team and the drivers included in the 91' edition, but not racing at all would be worse.

Erik

Re: NZrFL 59: KSR Grand Prix Championship - Round 4 - Watkins Glen

Post by Erik » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:38 pm

Could someone be so kind to suggest some better gearing settings? I'm topping out at 318 km/hr at the straight with quite some distance to go before the chicane. I've tried to lengthen 6th gear and final drive but it really isn't working out so well, mainly as I'm not overly knowledgeable with gear rations. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I feel that I'm leaving quite some table on the table at the old Glen.

Chomp

Post by Chomp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi Erik, I am going to have a look today to see what might work. Can also record another video if the last one was useful at all.

Generally I would not just up 6th but add clicks to them all. will have to remove downforce to really get the speed up but then I think the fast corner after chicane will be diffucult, requiring more downforce :)

Chomp

Post by Chomp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Erik, have a look in the video at the settings.. Things changed of note are gearing and downforce, I havent spent much time with it but can say that on 20L fuel its getting 330 at the end of the straight.

I have adjusted the gearing primarily to get some speed as there is a lot of high speed on the track and secondly to get it right for the chicane.. Right now I can drop from 6th to 4th and stay in the rev range. You dont want to be stranded to high bogging down or have to drop too low gear that you lose speed.

Main issue now is that I run out of 4th on the next corner.. So there is a little compromise I will look to see if I can overcome there.. turn one is tricky and from there the main thing is to have very little steering input on this track.,

Going up the hill you can scrub speed with too much input. Just try to keep it on the track limits rather than give bigger inputs for the perfect line if you find yourself not on it.

If you are not a left foot braker this is a track so start doing it :)

once again nowhere near the fastest we will get this week but there is the setup information at the front of the vid. I would think about making sure you have gearing correct for the chicane too.

Yoda_NZ

Post by Yoda_NZ » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Data transfer time out error on the server

Erik

Post by Erik » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:21 pm

Thanks Chomp, I'll definitely have a close look! Much appreciate the effort of doing a video! _b

Erik

Post by Erik » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:54 pm

Yoda_NZ wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:11 pm
Data transfer time out error on the server
Same here, the server may have crashed?

Erik

Post by Erik » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:10 pm

It seems to be working again! :Party:

Erik